Saban will limit team information

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Note that Denny is not the only one to be the so called voice of the team.

AZ JAM

Saban will limit team information

BARRY JACKSON

Miami Herald.com

In the coming months, you may be getting a lot less information directly from the Dolphins than you're accustomed. And if new coach Nick Saban can help it, there won't be any anonymous leaks.

In his first meeting with reporters since his Jan. 4 introductory news conference, Saban made one thing clear: From the Dolphins' football side of the operation, his voice will be the only one heard, aside from players.

Thursday's meeting, attended by broadcast and print journalists, including Herald Dolphins beat writer Armando Salguero, came two weeks after reporters were told, at least for now, they generally could no longer work at the team's headquarters.

While Saban said a media policy has not been formulated, he revealed several policies that will impact the information fans receive:

• WQAM's Jim Mandich said on his show Saban will not permit his assistants to speak to reporters. ''We have one voice,'' Saban said.

• On his attempt to control information, Saban said, ``The intent is how do we protect our ability to be successful by how much information or misinformation affects our competitive advantage.''

When a reporter said Patriots coach Bill Belichick admitted previously it was a ''wrong decision'' to clamp down on the media, Saban said, ``Well, they're doing pretty well there, aren't they? . . . Two out of three Super Bowls, and they have a chance to go back there this year. What else did he mess up?''

A reporter who covers the Patriots said Belichick isn't forthcoming on injuries and doesn't let reporters speak to coaches or scouts.

Saban said the Patriots are one of the teams Miami has consulted in crafting a media policy.

• For now, don't expect Saban to reveal what he thinks of individual players and their futures with the team.

Saban doesn't want his players reading his evaluation before they hear it from him.

• Even news conferences introducing new players aren't assured.

'How does that affect the good players on our team that have been here . . . and we're having a wedding for the new guy coming in? And they say, `What about me?' '' Saban said.

Saban's approach will be a dramatic change from the Dave Wannstedt era, when some reporters called Wannstedt at home, numerous members of the organization spoke freely, and turmoil within the coaching staff was routinely chronicled.

Wannstedt wanted to be liked by the media; Saban doesn't seem to care. His concern is winning and pleasing his boss. And if Dolphins fans are told less -- but the team wins more -- they will gladly accept the trade-off.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paranoia will destroy ya

Another freaking NFL coaching moron. It's entertainment butthead .

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I actually sort of liked Saban.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
The NFL should crack down on this kind of nonsense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rocco said:
The NFL should crack down on this kind of nonsense.

THe specifics mentioned really aren't that big of a deal, players SHOULD hear it from the coach before they hear it from the media for example. Where it becomes annoying to me is when it's hypocritcal, when the guy clamping down is placing leaks himself.

I guess I just don't recall the apparently numerous times where an NFL player or coach caused him team to lose a game by leaking information to the press? About the closest I can get is Kasper losing his Broncos playbook and the Broncos claiming an opponent used it to gain an advantage against them (which is reportedly why they cut Kasper).

I just don't get it football is not rocket science, I can say with complete confidence that Nick Saban is not doing anything with the Dolphins that other teams aren't doing, he doesn't have a ton of NEW plays or NEW schemes that nobody has ever seen, nobody does.

:shrug:

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
I just don't get it football is not rocket science, I can say with complete confidence that Nick Saban is not doing anything with the Dolphins that other teams aren't doing, he doesn't have a ton of NEW plays or NEW schemes that nobody has ever seen, nobody does.

I would guess he's more concerned with leaks of personnel moves than actual playbook schemes.

As far as the rest of it, I think it's a great move for the team. The Dolphins have been one big soap opera for at least the last year, mostly because the quotes kept coming from pretty much everyone in the organization about everything that was going on. Nothing wrong with trying to keep the focus on football and not drama.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
This is funny.

The NFL Network has players and coaches on all the time, including Patriot players and assistant coaches.

It's a great idea, limit the media that bad mouths you, while allowing only the "company network" access to these people.

The NFL Network may end up being the only place for real news in the future.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
clif said:
for what? what is so wrong with having one point of contact?

I guess what bothers me most about this is that it's really not about having a single point of contact as much as it's about limiting media access and controlling the content of information to the public, who are the ones actually paying for all of this.

Teams may feel like they play on Sundays for the fans and the rest of it is just their own business. But fans, and non-fans alike (say, if they like to drink Bud or drive a Dodge) are being stuck for the bill of the NFL as advertising costs are passed onto the consumer and so forth. And the NFL seems to have no qualms about using the media if they think it suits their own purposes. So, IMO, it's a two way street and if you want to play, then it's just part of the cost of doing business. You may step in if it gets out of hand but I didn't see anything happening in Miami that was any different from anywhere else last year.

We're not talking state secrets here. As Wally posted above, it's entertainment.

And the excuse about personnel moves being 'leaked'? Total hogwash. Saban wants to control what gets printed in the media. Period. And that's crap.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rocco said:
I guess what bothers me most about this is that it's really not about having a single point of contact as much as it's about limiting media access and controlling the content of information to the public, who are the ones actually paying for all of this.

Teams may feel like they play on Sundays for the fans and the rest of it is just their own business. But fans, and non-fans alike (say, if they like to drink Bud or drive a Dodge) are being stuck for the bill of the NFL as advertising costs are passed onto the consumer and so forth. And the NFL seems to have no qualms about using the media if they think it suits their own purposes. So, IMO, it's a two way street and if you want to play, then it's just part of the cost of doing business. You may step in if it gets out of hand but I didn't see anything happening in Miami that was any different from anywhere else last year.

We're not talking state secrets here. As Wally posted above, it's entertainment.

And the excuse about personnel moves being 'leaked'? Total hogwash. Saban wants to control what gets printed in the media. Period. And that's crap.

I just dont see it being any different than most businesses. They dont want someone just spouting out things that should be kept in house. It is not really about schemes or plays, but more of keeping the lid on disgruntled players complaining about playing time etc.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
clif said:
I just dont see it being any different than most businesses. They dont want someone just spouting out things that should be kept in house. It is not really about schemes or plays, but more of keeping the lid on disgruntled players complaining about playing time etc.

Who cares really if a player is disgruntled? Just because he doesn't say it to the press doesn't mean it won't exist or that it isn't common knowledge to his teammates already.

Saban is a control freak. New England, the Cardinals and now the Dolphins are all setting a precedent that should not be allowed by the fans, consumers and taxpayers. Otherwise, they can fund their own damn game with just their fanbase (not all consumers and taxpayers or businesses that have to fly into Phoenix or wherever to conduct business) and play it in their own privately funded stadiums.

I have no tolerance for this at all. These guys are overreaching.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rocco said:
Who cares really if a player is disgruntled? Just because he doesn't say it to the press doesn't mean it won't exist or that it isn't common knowledge to his teammates already.

Saban is a control freak. New England, the Cardinals and now the Dolphins are all setting a precedent that should not be allowed by the fans, consumers and taxpayers. Otherwise, they can fund their own damn game with just their fanbase (not all consumers and taxpayers or businesses that have to fly into Phoenix or wherever to conduct business) and play it in their own privately funded stadiums.

I have no tolerance for this at all. These guys are overreaching.

you are taking it to a level that I just dont see. I can honestly say that I have not noticed a single difference in the info that I have heard or read on the cards this year as opposed to last year. Maybe someone else has, but I just don't see why the frustration :shrug:

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
clif said:
you are taking it to a level that I just dont see. I can honestly say that I have not noticed a single difference in the info that I have heard or read on the cards this year as opposed to last year. Maybe someone else has, but I just don't see why the frustration :shrug:

You haven't seen any difference?

Have you been sleepwalking?

Among other things ask Skkorp, Nidan, or Brigheyes.

And that's just for starters.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
clif said:

This board had it's press privileges revoked. Jim O. no longer posts anything here that isn't an advertising blurb for the team. A lot of the negative local press has undoubtedly been because the team has reduced access and the press is fighting back. It's not hard to look around and see a difference.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I could care a less if they didn't say anything at all to the media.

As a fan, I think you would because they depend on the media to do their business for them. Without TV, newspapers and magazines, the NFL would only reach the 60k fans or so who show up to watch the games every week in 16 stadiums across the country. The media is what has made this league rich and the teams should acknowledge that partnership. Because the media is only putting out there what the public will buy. So it's the public's buying decision, not the medias, that's really driving the car here. The NFL in effect is saying to the public "we're taking over the wheel, but you guys still have to make the payments."

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The NFL has requirements as to how much interaction a team has with the media. It's required. Other than that, ask a Dolphins fan, or a Cardinals fan for that matter, if they would rather have a succesful coach with control of their team, or a media friendly loser. I'll take the winner any day, and I'll spend more money on it. There are plenty of football fans in this valley who haven't spent a cent on the Cards over the past couple of years with Media friendly Dave McGinnis. I know a few of them who went to games last year because, as they put it "Things are changing".

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Rocco said:
As a fan, I think you would

But, I don't. They have their requirements that they meet in terms of interviews (which is really all we're talking about here), and I don't really need anything beyond that.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
earthsci said:
The NFL has requirements as to how much interaction a team has with the media. It's required. Other than that, ask a Dolphins fan, or a Cardinals fan for that matter, if they would rather have a succesful coach with control of their team, or a media friendly loser. I'll take the winner any day, and I'll spend more money on it. There are plenty of football fans in this valley who haven't spent a cent on the Cards over the past couple of years with Media friendly Dave McGinnis. I know a few of them who went to games last year because, as they put it "Things are changing".

I don't think media access means "loser" by any means. Look at Parcells, he always gives the media good info and good copy (by being a pain) and I wouldn't call him a loser.

Believe it or not, sooner or later everyone ends up spending money on the Cardinals and the rest of the NFL whether they want to or not. It's a system that's been accepted up to this point but it's up to you as to how far they can put their hands in your pocket and what you demand in return.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
But, I don't. They have their requirements that they meet in terms of interviews (which is really all we're talking about here), and I don't really need anything beyond that.

Then why are you here on this board? I admit the company here is very good but isn't more insightful info on the team that what is regurgitated in canned question/response interviews part of the reason at least?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
You haven't seen any difference?

Have you been sleepwalking?

Among other things ask Skkorp, Nidan, or Brigheyes.

And that's just for starters.

I feel bad for them, but as for how it has affected the info that I get.... no so much. they still do press conferences and radio interviews, so it has not caused me to miss many articles. Just gives me more reasons to read this site. :D

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rocco said:
This board had it's press privileges revoked. Jim O. no longer posts anything here that isn't an advertising blurb for the team. A lot of the negative local press has undoubtedly been because the team has reduced access and the press is fighting back. It's not hard to look around and see a difference.

of course things are different for some who actually had access, but for me who can only get info from internet and tv, it has not really changed.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
clif said:
of course things are different for some who actually had access, but for me who can only get info from internet and tv, it has not really changed.

I guess you didn't like Skkorps training camp articles. :)

They won't be there this year on this internet board.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Rocco said:
I guess you didn't like Skkorps training camp articles. :)

They won't be there this year on this internet board.

I'll bet $50 that there's training camp articles here.
I'll throw in another $50 that they're from more than one source.

I don't see what you're getting at. What kind of access do you want? Or think you deserve?

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I'll bet $50 that there's training camp articles here.
I'll throw in another $50 that they're from more than one source.

I don't see what you're getting at. What kind of access do you want? Or think you deserve?

You've missed the point. The argument is against the control of information content to the paying public in general and over a NFL football team specifically. It's stupid and unneccessary. There was nothing wrong with the content coverage here, in Miami or anywhere else before all of this. It was fun for the fans and part of the game. For some reason, some teams now feel they need to manipulate and control this coverage (by limiting access) in order to be successful. I disagree.

As I said earlier, the fans, the media and the NFL have a partnership here and need each other. Some teams have lost sight of that IMO. And I think those teams should just suck it up and cope with the media coverage as it has in the past, including leaks and other problems, instead of telling the paying public to expect less meaningful, more controlled information or misinformation depending on the whims of a football coach who no longer accepts his traditional role in the overall scheme of things.

And since I'm one of the people footing the bill for their riches - whether I want to or not - then I'll complain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05