Sack Statistics

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that is very interesting, new to me. just as i thought, davis needs to get his fat @ss in line, he is far too experienced to have that many penalties. odgen had 3 last year, walter jones had 4. statistically, this was either big's worst or second worse year of his career. tackles are supposed to progress w/ time. tell him he's getting moved to guard wizz. if he says no then screw him. you cant pay a guy what he is making to have him get 11 penalties and give up 8 sacks a year____bottom line_____

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score

I wish I could find a site that listed WR dropped passes. I love to compare Bryant Johnson with others, including Q, who seemed to have quite a few drops this past year. I keep hearing that TO led the league, but I cant find any sites that publish dropped passes.

I don't dispute BJ has had more than his share, I'm just not sure he's quite the butterfingers many in here make him out to be.

Go Cards!!!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I wish I could find a site that listed WR dropped passes. I love to compare Bryant Johnson with others, including Q, who seemed to have quite a few drops this past year. I keep hearing that TO led the league, but I cant find any sites that publish dropped passes.

I don't dispute BJ has had more than his share, I'm just not sure he's quite the butterfingers many in here make him out to be.

Go Cards!!!

That site has dropped passes as well. Just not in any ranking form, but they do have individual dropped stat passes. Just look up any WR's name and you should be able to find it at the very bottom of their page.

Capital Card

Reaction score
That site has dropped passes as well. Just not in any ranking form, but they do have individual dropped stat passes. Just look up any WR's name and you should be able to find it at the very bottom of their page.

Thanks Joeshmo.

So if I'm reading this right, of the 75 incomplete passes thrown towards BJ, he dropped 4 of them?

How does that equate to the "can't catch" label he gets in here when
Fitz dropped 5 of 111 and Reggie Wayne, one of the top recievers in the league, dropped 8 of 137. TO, who led the league in drops, dropped 14 of 152, a 30%+ higher rate than BJ.

BJ dropped passes at a marginally higher rate than Q or Fitz, which I would expect seeing as he is our #3 receiver and tends to run longer routes.

I agree that we have positions on the team that need upgrading, but I'm putting #3 receiver pretty low on my list of needed improvements.

Go Cards!!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fitz dropped 5 of 111

Timing.

It's not how many he dropped but when he dropped them. A WR could drop only two passes out of 111 and if they were in the endzone I'd wager he'd get an internet rep for having "bad" hands.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Timing.

It's not how many he dropped but when he dropped them. A WR could drop only two passes out of 111 and if they were in the endzone I'd wager he'd get an internet rep for having "bad" hands.
Bingo. I remember Anquan dropping a couple but they weren't in the endzone. "Come on Anquan, hold on to that." The only two times I can remember BJ dropping the ball were both in the endzone. "Johnson, you son of a bitch, you suck!"

Johnson is a much better than what people make him out to be. By the way, you can teach hands. It takes drilling but you can teach it. Drill into their brain two things-
  1. Catch with your hands, not with your body.
  2. Don't look away from the ball until you have it secured

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bingo. I remember Anquan dropping a couple but they weren't in the endzone. "Come on Anquan, hold on to that." The only two times I can remember BJ dropping the ball were both in the endzone. "Johnson, you son of a bitch, you suck!"

Johnson is a much better than what people make him out to be. By the way, you can teach hands. It takes drilling but you can teach it. Drill into their brain two things-
  1. Catch with your hands, not with your body.
  2. Don't look away from the ball until you have it secured

I'm all for someone drilling into Johnson's head that he needs to catch with his hands instead of his body or whatever the problem is superspk. It needs to be fixed or he needs to be gone after next year.

He has sapped this team of momentum for too long now with his crucial drops especially in the end zone. If I remember correctly they were all right in his hands too. I coulda caught 'em with my eyes closed. His tendency to "choke" when he has a chance to help his team get over a hill is disturbing.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm all for someone drilling into Johnson's head that he needs to catch with his hands instead of his body or whatever the problem is superspk. It needs to be fixed or he needs to be gone after next year.

He has sapped this team of momentum for too long now with his crucial drops especially in the end zone. If I remember correctly they were all right in his hands too. I coulda caught 'em with my eyes closed. His tendency to "choke" when he has a chance to help his team get over a hill is disturbing.
I agree.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think that bj is good. i wouldn't even go far enough to call him a bust. I'm sure he would start and possibly be the #1 reciever on most teams. The fact that he isn't as godd as Boldin and Fitz doesn't degrate him. I think that our problem is that all of our reciever are too similar. They basically are built to be possession recievers. A guy who could establish himself as a legitamite deep threat would be great, but the bottom line is that we still have one of the top 3 recieving corps in the game. Why is anyone bitching?

Capital Card

Reaction score
But again, we're talking about a #3 WR. Who are you going to replace him with, Donte Stallworth? I 'd rather have Donte over Johnson, but in the real world, I don't see that happening.

He dropped 4 balls this past season. He was #3 in YPC for the league. Most importantly, he doesn't complain about having to play 3rd fiddle here when he would easily be a solid #2 on most teams and a decent #1 for a few teams.

I don't mean to come off like BJ's brother-in-law, but IMO, the guy doesn't deserve the rep he gets in here.

Go Cards!!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who drops that many passes in critical situations (site says 4, I'd argue that it was more than 4) then he gets everything that he deserves.

The "skillet hands" nickname didn't come from nowhere. He had to drop passes at critical times to get that nickname.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Everytime BJ dropped a pass it seemed like it was 3rd down or in the endzone.

Anyone else remember the TD pass from Warner to BJ last year that was just a thing of beauty? BJ got behind the defense and Warner hit him perfectly in stride and BJ didn't slow down until he was in the endzone. Why can he have such flashes of brillance like that pass but then drop a pass that hits him right in the numbers in the endzone like he did against KC?

The guy excites and scares me at the same time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But again, we're talking about a #3 WR. Who are you going to replace him with, Donte Stallworth? I 'd rather have Donte over Johnson, but in the real world, I don't see that happening.

He dropped 4 balls this past season. He was #3 in YPC for the league. Most importantly, he doesn't complain about having to play 3rd fiddle here when he would easily be a solid #2 on most teams and a decent #1 for a few teams.

I don't mean to come off like BJ's brother-in-law, but IMO, the guy doesn't deserve the rep he gets in here.

Go Cards!!!

Um, sorry, but I think you're absolutely nuts. He's struggling to be a #3 receiver. If he wasn't, we wouldn't have to go back and forth about it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Um, sorry, but I think you're absolutely nuts. He's struggling to be a #3 receiver. If he wasn't, we wouldn't have to go back and forth about it.

I disagree with the poster who said that Johnson could be the #1 receiver on "most teams." But I don't think it would go too far to say that there are a number of teams that Bryant Johnson would start for as at least the #2 guy:

Cleveland
San Francisco
Oakland (if they get rid of Moss and Porter)
New York Jets
New York Giants (#2 to Plaxico)
Tampa Bay Bucaneers (#2 to Galloway)
Miami Dolphins (he's better than Marty Booker)
New England Patriots
San Diego Chargers
Minnesota Vikings

Teams that he might start for would include Buffalo, Washington, Jacksonville, Chicago, and probably a couple others.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

wait...
so I'm a problem?
and you spelled my name wrong!

and this is my first post in a while.

...so confused.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Bryant Johnson have any sacks? Why is this discussion in the Sack Statistics thread? Do I have to read this whole thread to find out?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thanks Joeshmo.

So if I'm reading this right, of the 75 incomplete passes thrown towards BJ, he dropped 4 of them?

Fitz dropped 5 of 111 and Reggie Wayne, one of the top recievers in the league, dropped 8 of 137. TO, who led the league in drops, dropped 14 of 152, a 30%+ higher rate than BJ.

BJ dropped passes at a marginally higher rate than Q or Fitz, which I would expect seeing as he is our #3 receiver and tends to run longer routes.

I agree that we have positions on the team that need upgrading, but I'm putting #3 receiver pretty low on my list of needed improvements.

Go Cards!!!

No. He was the target of 75 passes and he dropped 4.
Boldin 152 (5)
Fitz 111 (5)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He struggled his way to 40 catches, over 700 yards and an (18.5 av. per catch) third in the league. He was targeted 75 times (4 drops).

When drafted it was said that he'd take a bit longer to adjust to the NFL given that he was coming out of Penn State. I don't think it's unfair to say that he's starting to come into his own.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for finding out how many sacks individual offensive linemen have given up?

I would think that would be tough to figure because a lot depends on the kind of coverage your receivers get. If your opponent has a tough set of DB's the an OL is more likely to be charged with giving up a sack as he cannot hold a DE or DL all day long.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I think it's interesting that the year LD had the lowest sack numbers, he also had his highest false start numbers. Looks to me that he tries to overcompensate for his lack of speed against DEs.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think it's interesting that the year LD had the lowest sack numbers, he also had his highest false start numbers. Looks to me that he tries to overcompensate for his lack of speed against DEs.

Funny that Dennis Green is blamed for everything that went wrong the last 3 years except for Bigg's alledged struggles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan