salmons or banks?/Toronto's Trade for Salmons Hitting Snag?

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
I get the sense that there is REALLY bad blood between Bryan Colangelo and Robert Sarver. To the point where they're trying to work each other over. And I have to believe that we've seen the last of Jerry Colangelo. Blood runs thick. No way he's siding with the Suns over his son.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Muggum said:
I get the sense that there is REALLY bad blood between Bryan Colangelo and Robert Sarver. To the point where they're trying to work each other over. And I have to believe that we've seen the last of Jerry Colangelo. Blood runs thick. No way he's siding with the Suns over his son.

i think your reading into this WAY TOO MUCH. no GM would sacrafice credibility and respect of players and agents just to screw over another GM. its immature, shady, and most of all RISKY.

we arent talking about star players either. we're talking about medocre ROLE PLAYERS. its just not worth it for a GM to leverage cap space in order to peak the interest of an average player, only to nevermind him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
i think your reading into this WAY TOO MUCH. no GM would sacrafice credibility and respect of players and agents just to screw over another GM. its immature, shady, and most of all RISKY.

we arent talking about star players either. we're talking about medocre ROLE PLAYERS. its just not worth it for a GM to leverage cap space in order to peak the interest of an average player, only to nevermind him.

Exactly, BC would be slitting his own throat with free agents if this was just about competition. He's too saavy for that.

I am sure the flakiness in the Salmons deal comes from the Salmons camp. We might have dodged a very big bullet on that one.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
I am sure the flakiness in the Salmons deal comes from the Salmons camp. We might have dodged a very big bullet on that one.
If Salmons is the one flaking out here, where do you think he's going? He would be dumping Toronto, and Phoenix is the only other team to show interest...in fact, the Suns are the only other team to have all the paperwork already in place with Philly...

:shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
If Salmons is the one flaking out here, where do you think he's going? He would be dumping Toronto, and Phoenix is the only other team to show interest...in fact, the Suns are the only other team to have all the paperwork already in place with Philly...

:shrug:

Would we still try to get him? It wouldn't cost us much to acquire him, but it would cost us to keep him.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i dont see where salmons would fit in we have our backup PG so our next need is a FC.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
i dont see where salmons would fit in we have our backup PG so our next need is a FC.

He would more likely be a backup swingman--possibly a backup to Shawn at the SF spot, and maybe a few minutes at SG.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Would we still try to get him? It wouldn't cost us much to acquire him, but it would cost us to keep him.
If Salmons is the one nixing the deal, my guess is, "Yes".

There's another possibility, which is that BC is the one holding off on the deal, as a favor to Danny Ainge. If that's the case, the big Iverson deal (the one that's been rumored for the last two years) is about to go down.

I can't see BC spurning Salmons just to pursue another deal. He's worked too hard on his reputation to toss it in the toilet over $23m.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
He would more likely be a backup swingman--possibly a backup to Shawn at the SF spot, and maybe a few minutes at SG.

I completly agree and would be all for getting Salmons at a discounted price now. I think he could play valuable minutes at the three and also allow for our backcourt match ups to be the best in the league. His size and passing ability are the biggest plusses IMO. This could also be another player bought at a small price who could take minutes at the three after the inevitable Shawn Marion trade next off season....

I thought what we needed was another athletic long big, but actually Salmons makes more sense. D'Antoni is loathe to put un-coordinated big men out there who kill us offensivly and obviously loves to go small. And salmons is not exactly small for a three. or two. So this move if we chose to go this route makes a lot of sense. I am fine with our fourman rotation of Diaw, STAT, KT and Marks at the 4 and 5 with the possibility of having Marion at the 4 and STAT at the 5 in certain cases......

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Or, the Suns could just trade somebody. :shrug:

There's a chance a third team is at work here--Philly is absolutely committed to not re-signing Salmons now. I would LMAO if some team scooped BC the way BC scooped the Suns. :lol:

fordronken

Reaction score
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12352

Larry (Toronto): Hey Chris, have you heard any new news on the snag with the Salmons deal? Do you think Salmons is re-evaluating his choice, or BC has a possible deal in the works involving Salmons would-be cap space?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: (2:11 PM ET ) Ran into Billy King less than an hour ago, and he indicated John Salmons seems to be having second thoughts about taking the deal and heading to Toronto. Yewsterday, by the way, Billy told me he's not trading Allen Iverson.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
If Salmons is the one nixing the deal, my guess is, "Yes".

There's another possibility, which is that BC is the one holding off on the deal, as a favor to Danny Ainge. If that's the case, the big Iverson deal (the one that's been rumored for the last two years) is about to go down.

I can't see BC spurning Salmons just to pursue another deal. He's worked too hard on his reputation to toss it in the toilet over $23m.

I can't see BC reneging unless there is something unforseen that came up with Salmons (felony record etc, not that I have heard anything like this, I am just using it as an example). The Colangelos have worked hard to develop a "handshake deal" reputation and I can't see BC throwing that away.

But you have brought up another possibility. It could be that Philly is reneging on the deal. If they having something going down with Iverson, maybe doing a S&T with Toronto could somehow jeapardize that. Or it could be that including a Salmons to Toronto deal in a bigger Iverson deal is an option.

Whatever the case, stay tuned, this whole thing is far from over.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fordronken said:

Wow, you posted this while I was composing my last post. So it is Salmons. Buyers remorse I guess, wishing he had taken the Suns offer instead?

I wonder if BC has withrawn his offer as a result. This young man is losing out on alot through his indecision. In the end, he'll probably have to settle on taking Toronto's offer and hoping both Toronto and Philly will carry through with the previously arranged deal.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Actually, if that Sheridan blurb is correct, Salmons the one driving this, which means there's another team in the run for Salmons--either the Suns, or somebody else.

BC must be having a fit. :D

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I understand the Garbajosa deal isn't going through either.

I wonder whether Garbajosa would be interested in a 1yr, $1.5m starter deal from the Suns... :p

sunsfn

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I understand the Garbajosa deal isn't going through either.

I wonder whether Garbajosa would be interested in a 1yr, $1.5m starter deal from the Suns... :p

This is in todays paper in Toronto and talks about Garbajosa.

--------------------------------
By MIKE KOREEN, TORONTO SUN

John Salmons may not become a Raptor after all.
The Philadelphia 76ers swingman, who was supposed to join the Raptors officially yesterday in a sign-and-trade deal after point guard Andre Barrett cleared waivers, remained in limbo last night thanks to an unknown snag in the transaction.
Raptors president/general manager Bryan Colangelo declined comment on the Salmons issue. It is believed Salmons was scheduled to take a physical in Toronto yesterday, though there was no confirmation of that.
The deal, which had the Raptors shipping a second-round pick and a $2-million US trade exception to the 76ers, was expected to be one of the team's final moves in a busy summer. News of the expected Salmons signing broke last Thursday, with his agent, Joel Bell, saying the Raptors' hiring of Colangelo was a big factor in his client's decision to pick Toronto over the Phoenix Suns. Bell could not be reached for comment last night.
If the deal does not go through, the Raptors will have some more money this summer. Salmons was on the verge of signing a five-year, $23-million deal.

Phoenix Suns guard Eddie House, who was on the Raptors' radar before Salmons had agreed to join the team, could become a possibility again. The New Jersey Nets also are believed to be interested in House.
Meanwhile, Spanish forward Jorge Garbajosa is on the verge of signing a three-year deal worth about $12 million with the Raptors. The announcement could come as soon as today. Garbajosa is with the Spanish national team preparing for the world championship next month.
Also, as expected, the Raptors are believed to have come to a verbal agreement with 2005 second-round pick Uros Slokar, a Slovenian forward. Slokar told a Slovenian news outlet yesterday he will sign with the Raptors. After Pape Sow injured his neck at summer league and underwent surgery, the Raptors began negotiating with Slokar.
Swingman P.J. Tucker, the team's second-round pick this year, also is expected to sign with the Raptors before training camp.

Toronto Sun

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
This is in todays paper in Toronto and talks about Garbajosa.

--------------------------------
Spanish forward Jorge Garbajosa is on the verge of signing a three-year deal worth about $12 million with the Raptors. The announcement could come as soon as today. Garbajosa is with the Spanish national team preparing for the world championship next month.

Garbajosa was actually supposed to sign on Tuesday. Today is the fourth 'as soon as today' in a row for him. :)

sunsfn

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Garbajosa was actually supposed to sign on Tuesday. Today is the fourth 'as soon as today' in a row for him. :)

F-Dog,

Are you telling me that I can not believe everything I read in a paper!! :D

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
Hopefully he changed his mind about playing for us, and would maybe take less....i know that is wishful thinking, but i just dont see us offering him the same 21 over 5 deal we gave him before...not after getting banks.

I just realized we couldnt even offer him more than the remaining MLE as philly lost the bird rights for him.

Last edited:

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
JWF said:
Hopefully he changed his mind about playing for us, and would maybe take less....i know that is wishful thinking, but i just dont see us offering him the same 21 over 5 deal we gave him before...not after getting banks.

Goin' for the indecision breakdown discount eh? I think he is just as useful as before they got Banks, but Barbosa would be squeezed even further out.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
So there you have it--BC, hoist by his own petard. :lol:

I can't imagine Salmons would be doing this without concrete evidence of a similar or better opportunity. If the Suns thought 5yr/$23m was a big bargain--which is possible, since they offered the absolute most they were allowed to in a S&T--they're probably still interested, and they might even be the shadow team at the bottom of this McDyess-esque mystery.

If Salmons does sign with the Suns now, that's probably it for James Jones. They'll move him (or, less likely, Barbosa) for a big, and then the team is set (at least until the luxtax panic begins next summer).

Then, Salmons and Banks can spend the next three months catching and shooting open three-pointers in a gym somewhere. ;)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
So there you have it--BC, hoist by his own petard. :lol:

I can't imagine Salmons would be doing this without concrete evidence of a similar or better opportunity. If the Suns thought 5yr/$23m was a big bargain--which is possible, since they offered the absolute most they were allowed to in a S&T--they're probably still interested, and they might even be the shadow team at the bottom of this McDyess-esque mystery.

If Salmons does sign with the Suns now, that's probably it for James Jones. They'll move him (or, less likely, Barbosa) for a big, and then the team is set (at least until the luxtax panic begins next summer).

Then, Salmons and Banks can spend the next three months catching and shooting open three-pointers in a gym somewhere. ;)

So, how much of a gamer is Sarver? He came out saying, "we're done for now" and now this. Could it be that there is more to it here?

Consider this, there was word that Philly was interested in Barbosa in an earlier deal. So now, since Banks is here, would we consider Barbosa for Hunter and Banks, and of course, sign Salmon.

BTW. Jones and Burke for Hunter is a perfect salary fit, trade-wise.

That would be an interesting/versatile lineup.

Nash, Banks
Bell, Barbosa
Marion, Salmon
Amare, Diaw
KT, Hunter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05