salmons or banks?/Toronto's Trade for Salmons Hitting Snag?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
So, how much of a gamer is Sarver? He came out saying, "we're done for now" and now this. Could it be that there is more to it here?

Consider this, there was word that Philly was interested in Barbosa in an earlier deal. So now, since Banks is here, would we consider Barbosa for Hunter and Banks, and of course, sign Salmon.

BTW. Jones and Burke for Hunter is a perfect salary fit, trade-wise.

That would be an interesting/versatile lineup.

Nash, Banks
Bell, Barbosa
Marion, Salmon
Amare, Diaw
KT, Hunter

Hunter, AGAIN! I truly cannot believe the love affair people on this board have with the guy.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Consider this, there was word that Philly was interested in Barbosa in an earlier deal. So now, since Banks is here, would we consider Barbosa for Hunter and Banks, and of course, sign Salmon.

BTW. Jones and Burke for Hunter is a perfect salary fit, trade-wise.

The Suns would be getting killed value-wise on Barbosa-for-Hunter. I don't think either Banks or Salmons can adequately replace Barbosa for next season, so that deal weakens the Suns' championship drive as well.

Jones for Hunter is good for value, but I think Philly would prefer to keep Hunter, as long as they're not making any significant changes. They've got plenty of smalls already.

:shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:

This article says that now he has no place to play next year because Philly pulled their qualifying 1-year offer. Talk about giving us leverage if we want him...

My question is, does he now become a UFA? What happens when a team doesn't offer a RFA a qualifying offer?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Hunter, AGAIN! I truly cannot believe the love affair people on this board have with the guy.

Please Chap. The word is that we would like to land a shot-blocker. Hunter is the only one I know of that seems remotely attainable and has a salary within reason.

If you have another suggestion, I would love to hear it.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
My question is, does he now become a UFA? What happens when a team doesn't offer a RFA a qualifying offer?
He's still got a QO from Philly if he wants it. With their salary issues, I'm sure the Sixers would be alarmed if they thought he was going to sign for it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
This article says that now he has no place to play next year because Philly pulled their qualifying 1-year offer. Talk about giving us leverage if we want him...

He becomes a unrestricted, just like Banks when Ainge didn't give him the qualifier.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
He's still got a QO from Philly if he wants it. With their salary issues, I'm sure the Sixers would be alarmed if they thought he was going to sign for it.

The article says that Philly pulled their QO. Maybe they got scared he would take it, its quite evident they don't want him back.

Does Philly now retain Bird rights or not? If not, no S&T is possible now.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Please Chap. The word is that we would like to land a shot-blocker. Hunter is the only one I know of that seems remotely attainable and has a salary within reason.

If you're talking Barbosa, I think the Suns have to get back a player with similar upside. One of the Seattle big men at the very least.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
The article says that Philly pulled their QO. Maybe they got scared he would take it, its quite evident they don't want him back.

Does Philly now retain Bird rights or not? If not, no S&T is possible now.
Good catch there.

I know Philly doesn't have RFA rights any more. They might be in the same situation Minnesota was with Marcus Banks--they were allowed to S&T him, but only for an offer starting at something like $2.6m for the first year.

I guess what that means is, the Suns aren't the mysterious team X. Either Salmons had a serious case of buyer's remorse (and is now screwed), or a third team is waiting in the wings...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

A salary within reason? He's one of the most overpaid players in the league. And he isn't very good either. Shot blocking is ALL that Hunter can do, and someone who can block a shot and a half a game isn't worth all the money he's being paid. There are two reasons why we didn't keep him the last time. One, D'Antoni didn't like playing him, and 2) there was no way we were going to pay him that same amount of money that Philly offered. What makes you think SARVER is going to pay it when BC and Jerry didn't?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
A salary within reason? He's one of the most overpaid players in the league. And he isn't very good either. Shot blocking is ALL that Hunter can do, and someone who can block a shot and a half a game isn't worth all the money he's being paid. There are two reasons why we didn't keep him the last time. One, D'Antoni didn't like playing him, and 2) there was no way we were going to pay him that same amount of money that Philly offered. What makes you think SARVER is going to pay it when BC and Jerry didn't?

The Suns wanted to resign Hunter and offered him a deal. But they wanted Raja Bell and they only had to offer the rest of what was left of the MLE after Raja's deal.

Hunter did get reg season PT here.

Again, I'm not all hyped about getting Hunter. Tell me the name of a player you would like to pick up instead.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
The Suns wanted to resign Hunter and offered him a deal. But they wanted Raja Bell and they only had to offer the rest of what was left of the MLE after Raja's deal.

Hunter did get reg season PT here.
Not towards the end of the season. In fact, I remember several people complaining about him not getting any playing time the last few months of the season.

Again, I'm not all hyped about getting Hunter. Tell me the name of a player you would like to pick up instead.

That's a good question, if Hunter was making only 2 million a year, I'd say sure--but to count on him being a constant contributor with a bloated salary is asking way too much. I'd rather have Dalembert, if we're talking Philly centers. His salary is also high, but at least he is more skilled than Hunter ever will be.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if John Salmons was interested in coming here I can't imagine the Phoenix Suns would still be willing to give him anything near their last offer. They have Banks now.

Joe

Kolo

Reaction score
Philadelphia withdrew its qualifying offer, which I think means it cannot sign and trade Salmons. I'm sure we'd pay him the $1.5 million or whatever is left of our MLE for a year, but I can't see him doing that.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
With Hunter we need to look at a need he can fill. He is a shot blocker. The only other shot blocker is Amare but we may not see as much as that yet. If Hunter is available I wouild bring him back even if he is slightly overpaid

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
Salmons back out of Toronto?

I just saw the banner at the bottom while I was watching ESPN...

sunsfn

Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
Philadelphia withdrew its qualifying offer, which I think means it cannot sign and trade Salmons. I'm sure we'd pay him the $1.5 million or whatever is left of our MLE for a year, but I can't see him doing that.

I am thinking they can still sign and trade him, but they are not locked into the qualifying offer amount. ? Either way, I think he is going to make less than he would have made before. He must have had a strong change of mind about going to Toronto. I would like the suns to sign him if they can, he has great size and can play 3 positions.

Edit, of course for the suns to sign him to a decent amount, (2-3 mil) they need a sign and trade to be able to use part of the TE.

Last edited:

fordronken

Reaction score
The way I understand it, the 76ers gave up their qualifying offer, but they still have his Bird Rights. So I think they can still negotiate a sign-and-trade, but he doesn't have any kind of guaranteed contract in place for next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him either go to a team like Atlanta, or sign a one year deal somewhere like San Antonio or Phoenix.

Anyway, I think he got scared when he saw that Toronto has been signing tons of "who knows?" guards and forwards that could theoretically take his spot in the rotation.

asudevil83

Reaction score

Salmons nixes sign-and-trade deal with Raptors

Associated Press

You must be registered for see images attach

[SIZE=-2]Salmons[/SIZE] TORONTO -- John Salmons backed out of a sign-and-trade deal that would have sent the swingman from the Philadelphia 76ers to the Toronto Raptors, the Toronto Star reported Saturday. "Upon reviewing the basketball situation in Toronto, John decided it's not the best fit for him," Salmons' agent, Joel Bell, said a statement released Friday. "In a very stressful and tough decision, he decided he could not accept the opportunity to play for the Raptors, even though he was excited about the prospect of being in Toronto."

Raptors officials, who thought they had agreed with Salmons on a $23 million, five-year deal as part of a sign-and-trade transaction for a 2007 second-round draft pick, were surprised when he pulled out.
"I'm sorry it didn't work out, I wish him the best," Toronto president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said.

The 6-foot-6 swingman has few options. After he turned down an offer from the Phoenix Suns to supposedly sign with Toronto, a qualifying offer given him by the Sixers was rescinded Thursday. He now has no guaranteed deal anywhere for next season.

what the hell is this guy thinking. he isnt going to get near the same deal from anyone that Phoenix and Toronto gave him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most Toronto fans are rejoicing btw--at least on the realgm boards. They thought the contract was bloated.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Not towards the end of the season. In fact, I remember several people complaining about him not getting any playing time the last few months of the season.

That's a good question, if Hunter was making only 2 million a year, I'd say sure--but to count on him being a constant contributor with a bloated salary is asking way too much. I'd rather have Dalembert, if we're talking Philly centers. His salary is also high, but at least he is more skilled than Hunter ever will be.

He got reg season playing time. He got very little burn in the playoffs. He was injured (broken something in his hand) toward the end of the season but it was kept quiet. They said they wanted him back. They offered him a deal starting at about 1.9 million I believe. He was offered almost 3 million from Philly. We didn't have any more to give because we had signed Raja. He said "sorry." We said, "good luck."

I have a hard time interpreting that as "not wanting him back." It is quite fair to say that they did not want him as much as they wanted Raja.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Wonder if we still have interest in him.

I'm so glad Suns got Banks over this ******. 1st Banks wanted to play for the Suns and took less. 2nd Salmons turned down a chance to be a big factor on a title contender or go freeze balls on a lame team in a freeze your ass team, with no Basketball market, But the biggest reason is I love this guy not signing is the Suns would have had the same damn problem as last year when Nash sits out, Barbosa is not a play maker and never will be. Barbosa and Salmons would be the back court with Barbosa being the primary ball handler that would suck, I cant sit back and watch Barbosa make horrible decision after horrible decision.with Banks and Barbosa as a back court I love Barbosa at the 2 as a finisher, first alot of 2 guard have a problem with Barbosa's smoking speed, now team that up with another guy with amazing speed and that can also create plays and I see a better spark off the bench, then compared to Salmons and Barbosa.

As for Hunter, Hunter sucks and D'Antoni sits his ass because he is too one demensional. Hunter does not fit in with the Suns style he kills offensive chemistry when he is out there. Between splitting time with Amare, Diaw, Thomas and one of the scrubs already on the roster that can play Center, don't the Suns have enough big men anyway?

Errntknght

Reaction score
JCSunsfan, "He got reg season playing time. He got very little burn in the playoffs. He was injured (broken something in his hand) toward the end of the season but it was kept quiet."

Just to keep the record somewhat straight...
Hunter had a severely dislocated finger most of the season and everyone knew it - he had a very noticeable bandage holding two fingers taped together. His PT dropped off a bit for a while after we acquired McCarty but then it went back to what he had been getting. During the regular season he averaged 13.8 mpg and during the playoffs he averaged 14.2 mgp. That PT information is readily available.

Chaplin and I had a discussion on here about Hunter with Chap claiming that Steven interferred with Amare's scoring. I countered that by pointing out that Amare got his monster scoring numbers in the Spurs series with Hunter playing 20+ mpg, fifty percent above normal, so the statistical information available was very definitely contrary to his claim. (That data is from my memory but its probably available someplace if someone wants to track it down - at the time the data was available from Hunter's game logs.)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I can tell, the problem was not the per year amount (although they offered what they could) but the length of Hunter's contract. That hasn't changed. The Suns simply didn't want to make that kind of committment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05