San Antonio @ Suns -Game Thread - Thursday, Feb. 1, 2007 - 8:30 pm

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I went to my first game of the yr. last night. It was a good one to go to.
As you all know they came out sluggish. They had no answer to Parker in the first half. But we we're coming back nicely in the second qtr. after only scoring 16! in the first.

In the 2nd half we made the adjustments to handle Parker somewhat, with Banks getting his chance and doing an admirable job on him. He doesn't need to throw up long jump shots however with this offense. But he drove a few times and that helped him out when they fell in. He needs to be able to dish when he drives.

Amare was huge of course, just monstrous on the boards and coming in for dunks. He had something to prove that he could still be dominant against them. He had alot of help on Duncan however because no one can really manage that guy alone. Marion/Diaw were huge defensively helping out on Duncan and (Marion) taking over guarding Parker in the 2nd half. He was also taking it to the hoop more, I just wish he'd throw it down sometimes a little more. But I can't complain with what he's doing out there.

Nash is his consistent great self.

All in all a great W. Congrats to the team.:thumbup:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Report from San Antonio

UPDATED: Suns show closing speed: Phoenix buries Spurs in the final minutes

[SIZE=-1]Web Posted: 02/02/2007 07:44 AM CST[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Johnny Ludden[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Express-News[/SIZE]

PHOENIX — By the end, with 18,422 fans on their feet and howling, Manu Gi nobili could only look up from the seat of his pants as Amare Stoudemire threw down one more dunk.

Ginobili and the Spurs gave the Phoe nix Suns a game for about 45 minutes Thursday night. But if the NBA stand ings weren't already a true indicator of the distance between the Western Conference rivals, the Suns provided one more, pulling away from the Spurs in the closing minutes for a 103-87 victory at US Airways Center.

Stoudemire led Phoenix with 24 points and a career-best 23 rebounds and Lean dro Barbosa lit up the Spurs for 25 points off the bench.

Ginobili scored 32 points and Tim Duncan had 20 points and 18 rebounds, but it wasn't enough to keep the Spurs from losing for the second night in a row. They headed home after the game, returning from the first leg of their rodeo trip with a worse record than when they left.

“They are a better team than we are now,” Ginobili said of Phoenix. “Seeing Dallas and Phoenix play gives us an important goal, knowing that if we want to make it where we want, we really have to improve.”

While not known for their defense, the Suns held the Spurs to 38.6 percent shooting. Dun can was bottled up most of the night, missing 12 of 18 shots. Tony Parker, named to the All- Star team earlier in the day, scored 20 points, but needed 18 shots to get them. Phoenix also scored 23 points off the Spurs' 18 turnovers. “We played pretty well, but just too many mistakes,” Dun can said. “Also, I missed a whole lot of stuff close to the basket they were able to transition with and we had turnovers they transitioned with.

“That's not what you want to do against a team like that. They just turn those things into points very quickly.”

The Spurs had won 14 of the past 17 meetings between the teams, including the playoffs, but these weren't the same Suns. Or the same Spurs.

While the Spurs have struggled to gain any traction this season, Phoenix had joined Dallas in surging to the top of the NBA standings. That, however, didn't stop the teams from put ting on another entertaining show.

The Spurs trailed 72-70 to start the fourth quarter and it wasn't long after that the tension between the teams began to simmer over.

Ginobili drove to the rim, leading with his knee, and speared Stoudemire in the groin. Stoudemire was called for a foul and had to be re- strained from going after Ginobili, earning a technical. While the officials tried to calm the players, Spurs assist- ant coach P.J. Carlesimo and Suns assistant Mark Ivaroni yelled at each other along the sideline.

Suns 103, Spurs 87Suns show closing speed
Notebook: All-Star nod surprises Parker
Box: Suns 103, Spurs 87
Your turn: Give your thoughts on the Spurs-Suns game
Your turn: Give your thoughts on Tony Parker being named an All-Star

“I just tried to go strong to the basket,” Ginobili said. “I think I was in motion before he came. I, of course, had no intention of hurting anybody. I just tried to draw a foul.”

Ginobili had a chance to cut the Spurs' deficit to two, but his 3-pointer popped out of the rim.
Barbosa then buried a 3-pointer and Ginobili was called for a foul on the play for trying to fight through Steve Nash.

The four-point possession left the Spurs in a 95-86 hole with 2:22 left and they never recovered.

New England Patriots line backer Junior Seau sat across from the visitors' bench, which was fitting considering the Spurs felt like they had been in a football game one night earlier after being overwhelmed by Utah's physicality. Delayed while their plane had to be deiced, the Spurs didn't arrive in Phoenix until close to 2:30 a.m.

Phoenix, meanwhile, had spent the previous two days recuperating from the end of its 17-game winning streak. Provided, of course, the go-go-go Suns ever rest.

“This is exactly the team you want to play (on a back-to- back),” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich cracked before the game.

Phoenix also strung together another 15 consecutive victories earlier in the season be coming the first team to ever have two streaks of such length before the All-Star break. Since starting the season 3-6, the Suns had gone 33-3.

“They're playing better defense now than they've ever played before,” Popovich said. “Offensively, they're more dangerous than they've ever been, tougher to guard than they've ever been. And I think their confidence level is higher than it's ever been.

“The record they have — and the way they've been playing — I honestly don't think it's fool's gold. I think it's for real.” Though the Spurs had reason to be fatigued, they hardly looked it once they stepped on the floor, scoring the game's first nine points and surging to a 14-3 lead when Ginobili buried a 3-pointer with 5:47 left in the opening quarter.

The Suns missed their first five shots and 10 of their first 11, but continued, as always, to fire away. As the NBA's best- shooting team, in addition to its highest-scoring, Phoenix found its stroke soon enough.

Barbosa provided a jolt of energy — as if the Suns ever need one — when he checked into the game, and the Spurs' lead was down to six by the end of the first quarter. James Jones' 3-pointer put Phoenix ahead 31-29 less than four minutes into the second.

“LB was just phenomenal,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. “(The Spurs) struggle with that speed.”

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
“I just tried to go strong to the basket,” Ginobili said. “I think I was in motion before he came. I, of course, had no intention of hurting anybody. I just tried to draw a foul.”

What an idiot. Realistically, I think it's at least 50-50 that some other player is going to get fed up and intentionally hurt Ginobili in a very serious way. He is easily the most despised player in the league and he seems to be in complete denial about it. At least Bell has the decency to acknowledge when he strays outside the boundaries of acceptable behavior.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Great game...

- San Antonio took the ball out of Nash's hands immediately, and the PHX still won. That's an encouraging sign.

Popovich trying to take the ball out of Nash's hands is why SA's coaching staff is the best in the league (IMO). Popovich, PJ, and Budenholzer are witches.

- Amare's best performance of the year... and he still has room to improve. Imagine Amare on the glass like this every night?

- Ginobilli may cross the line every now and then, but he's a helluva player. Especially against PHX.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
The nice thing is, we got the win even without Bell and Thomas, when we have a strong 8 man rotation (9 if banks becomes it?) we'll be even mroe of a force to reckon with :thumbup:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Wow, this game sure was exciting to watch. I was going crazy last night! It was a great win and we finally beat a contender. Amare was a beast and the Suns played the best overall game that I've seen them play so far. I was very impressed. :)

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
Wow, this game sure was exciting to watch. I was going crazy last night! It was a great win and we finally beat a contender. Amare was a beast and the Suns played the best overall game that I've seen them play so far. I was very impressed. :)

it really was exciting to watch. i felt a lot more tense during this game than i had for any game in recent memory. during the fourth quarter (as is the case with most suns games), it became clear the suns were just the better team.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
As for Banks, its clear that he cant run this offense. He was decent alongside Nash which is not a huge accomplishment, even I would look decent playing with Nash :D, but I liked his defense on TP.

Totally agree. I think the one problem with Banks is we dont use him properly. I think he would be much more effective if we had him on the floor with Barbs or Nash at all times he's in the game.....and for pete's sake have the man drive to hoop more often.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Totally agree. I think the one problem with Banks is we dont use him properly. I think he would be much more effective if we had him on the floor with Barbs or Nash at all times he's in the game.....and for pete's sake have the man drive to hoop more often.

He is supposed to be a point guard. That is what this team needs him to do, and he can not do it.
There is no way to use him the way he is playing. He can not run the offense, he can not shoot, so at best he is a decent defensive player, who will only get limited minutes because this team wants people who can score when they are in the game.
When driving to the basket, he turns the ball over or misses the shot as often as he makes one.
You can not take minutes away from Bell, Nash, or Barbosa to play him.

The only reason he played against the Spurs is because Bell is hurt.

If the suns can trade him, he will be gone in the next three weeks, and hopefully they can get a backup point guard from someplace.

mribnik

Reaction score
Not to be a broken record, but I really can't get down on Banks as long as he's playing 6 minutes a game. Amare was pretty piss poor earlier in the year until he started getting consistent minutes too. It appears that banks is trying to learn how to become a pg, and while it's taking a while, he doesn't get enough playing time to work on the things he's been practicing in game situations. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a consistent 10 minutes a game (a stretch in the first half with Barbosa, and a stretch in the second half with Nash).

damo

Registered
Reaction score
Easily the funniest thing I have ever read in my life.

this beats that.

easily.

With starting center Yao Ming missing the game due to injury, D’Antoni will have to pick a replacement starter — with Nash and Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki the prime candidates. Has D’Antoni decided what he will do? “I think we’ll start both of them, because they both deserve it,” he said. “We’ll just send six guys out there, start the game with a technical foul, and go from there.”

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/tribune_allstars_070202.html

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Short handed and we still blasted the Spurs!! Check mark that

Next up: Utah. Big game for us again, even if they are sans Boozer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05