San Antonio @ Suns -Game Thread - Thursday, Feb. 1, 2007 - 8:30 pm

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The unsung hero for the game has gotta be Marion again. Didn't shoot real well but was really active on the boards and was a beast on defense.

When parker was slicing us up, they switched Shawn onto him. When ginobili started heating up, they switched Shawn onto him. Definitely did a better job on Parker but still slowed ginobili somewhat.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
So in the end it really was:

Spurs on back to back BUT + refs

vs

Suns at home BUT without KT and RAJA

Seems at least even to me.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I was amazed at how decently effective the nash + jones + banks lineup managed to do out there during I think the mid-early 3rd. That might be a way we can give banks some minutes without throwing the game too much.

mribnik

Reaction score
We outrebounded the Spurs 51-41, held them to .390 shooting and beat them in the paint. We did this without Bell and KT.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I watched the game with friends tonight, so I wasn't in the chat or thread...but did anyone mention...

Why was Nash on Parker so much? Parker was slicing him to bits. Just stick Nash on Bowen in the corner, and let him get some rest on defense. Ideally I'd like Marion on Parker, Barbosa or Bell on Manu, KT/Amare on Duncan with Nash over on Bowen.

Career high 23 boards for STAT tonight, very nice to see, lets hope he can get his season average up over 10 per game.

mribnik

Reaction score
I thought Barbosa did a very good job on Ginoboli defensively for the few times he guarded him tonight.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was really down on Amare after that Minny game, but he was a monster tonight. He needs to play that hard on the boards every night. His jumpshot was falling as well. If he can develop a turn-around jumper he will be unstoppable.

Great game Amare! :thumbup:

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Marion did great but Amare was the clincher, especially with those 2 much needed game-finisher dunks at the end.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
D'antoni once said that Nash is one of the most unappreciated defensive players in the league and i have to agree. though he isnt a bruce bowen, a ben wallace, a raja bell etc. he isnt bad by any means. I think he was getting eaten up by parker because he isnt one of the largest guards and cant guard the guards that like to take it to the lane as parker does.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Terrific win. Great to see Stoudemire find another level when the stakes are highest.

The psychological component in playoff series is huge. The Suns know they can beat the Spurs now. They nearly won the first matchup this season, and dominated this one down the stretch. I think they've been a bit afraid of the Spurs the last two seasons, but that's gone now.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great defense by the Suns holding the Spurs to 87 points?

cly2tw

Reaction score
Nash is a smart player. On defense, he will only be beaten by extreme physical superiority, which Parker has against him. Actually, he might be a good defender on Ginobili as long as not posted up, because he certainly can match Manu's smart and speed.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
What a fun game to watch. What a Fantastic outcome. To get this win by double digits without KT and Bell was huge. To hold SA to 87 points after they scored 53 by half was huge.

Congrats to this team and this city. I firmly believe we are going to get something we haven't ever received in June this year!

HooverDam

Reaction score
Nash is a smart player. On defense, he will only be beaten by extreme physical superiority, which Parker has against him. Actually, he might be a good defender on Ginobili as long as not posted up, because he certainly can match Manu's smart and speed.

I disagree. On offense Nash is smart, but on defense he has improved but is still a gigantic liability. Nash is often beat on defense because about 80% of the time, he has wandering feet, and wanders over to put a weak double on someone, when he doesn't need to. He also often is out of position and has his hips out of place. He will over compensate for one bad move, then really be out of position, and he gets blown by. Watch his hips on defense, good defenders keep their hips balanced, his are often swinging wildly.

I firmly believe we are going to get something we haven't ever received in June this year!

God I hope its not syphilis.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare was a freak tonight. I would much rather see Amare get 20 something points with 20 something rebounds versus scoring 51 points on Duncan. I think hes more valuable and props to Amare for attacking the boards tonight.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Ok....great, great win.

For everyone who doubted Amare and wanted to trade him earlier in the season...please sit down with a smile. :)

For everyone who didn't believe in Barbs over the last few years and wanted to trade him for peanuts...please sit down. And no, you don't get to smile. ;) That kid is only going to get better. I think the once 'radical' prediction of an All-Star berth for him someday is not too radical an idea anymore.

Oh yeah. The Diaw haters...end o' the bench you lot! ;)

Finally...the Marion haters. Well, just keep wandering around and bumping into walls. There is no hope for you. :)

God I love this team.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Without Bell and Thomas, the two players who were brought in mainly to improve our defense against the Spurs, and despite an overall sub-par shooting night (about 5% below season average), we still managed to beat the Spurs by 16 (and hand them their second largest defeat of the season.) But the remarkable thing is, the Spurs were leading with 8 minutes to go. And they were down by only 1 with just over 5 minutes to go, and by only 5 with around 3 minutes to go if I remember correctly. The Suns patented run could not have come at a better time. Overall, the Suns held the Spurs to only 34 second-half points, outscoring them by 19. Very impressive game.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
Great win especially after a very slow start. Imo the key was Amare's defence against Duncan, he dominated TD after the first quarter, and if TD isnt effective, the Spurs offense isnt effective either.

As for Banks, its clear that he cant run this offense. He was decent alongside Nash which is not a huge accomplishment, even I would look decent playing with Nash :D, but I liked his defense on TP.

Barbosa made both of his 3s in the last quarter, he doesnt have problems with his self-confidence any more I guess.

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
As for Banks, its clear that he cant run this offense. He was decent alongside Nash which is not a huge accomplishment, even I would look decent playing with Nash :D, but I liked his defense on TP.

I was going to say the same thing.....Banks really seems to struggle running the offense, he dribbles too much....but I really like his one on one defense, he really seemed to hound Parker pretty good.....I can't see him playing 20+ minutes a night, but I really don't have a problem with him playing 8-12 minutes, with LB, JJ, Marion, Diaw, they should be able to handle the offense without Banks having the responsibility.....

Great win last night, it was playoff atmosphere in my basement at least, it was fun......really makes me look forward to the playoffs......

If the Suns are going to go 1-1 vs. the T'wolves and the Spurs, I'm glad it went the way it did.....