San Diego's OL

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The Chargers are tied with Denver for current seasons with 2000+ yards rushing at 4 and well on their way to a 5th. So, i looked into how their OL was constructed as they are pretty young. I think this line, experience-wise is alot like the Cardinals except for one glaring difference. Plus, this may throw a wrinkle into thinking about taking an OL at the top of the Cards draft.

LT- Marcus McNeil-rookie, 50th overall pick out of Auburn
LG-Kris Dielman- undrafted FA out of Indiana in 2003
C- Nick Hardwick- 3rd round pick out of Purdue in 2004
RG-Mike Goff- 3rd round pick by Cincy out of Iowa in 1998
RT-Shane Olivea- 7th round out of OHIO STATE in 2005

I don't know who their OL coach is but he is doing one helluva job. These are all young,hard-nosed lineman with nasty attitudes. THe one thing they have that the Cards are sorely missing is the steadying veteran influence that Mike Goff supplies to the unit.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
They have a strong line with the exception of that left tackle. Jared Allen pretty much ate his children when KC played SD.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Chargers are tied with Denver for current seasons with 2000+ yards rushing at 4 and well on their way to a 5th. So, i looked into how their OL was constructed as they are pretty young. I think this line, experience-wise is alot like the Cardinals except for one glaring difference. Plus, this may throw a wrinkle into thinking about taking an OL at the top of the Cards draft.

I don't know who their OL coach is but he is doing one helluva job. These are all young,hard-nosed lineman with nasty attitudes. THe one thing they have that the Cards are sorely missing is the steadying veteran influence that Mike Goff supplies to the unit.

I still think that's the most important attribute for a lineman. Of course, unlike Step you also have to be able to move at approximately the same time the ball is snapped.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OL coach is John "Jack" henry. Coached OL for Bobby Ross in SD, coached the Saints OL, and is now back in San Diego, coached in Detroit during Barry Sanders time there etc.

13 seasons as an OL coach in the NFL.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
This is an example of what drives me crazy

San Diego is hardly an exception -- looking at half of the better offensive teams in the league, it looks like their o-lines were put together in similiar fashion -- maybe one or two expensive guys (either high draft picks or free agents) and the balance with later round / undrafted free agent finds.

Putting together a reasonably functioning offensive line cant be that hard --

watching the Cowboy/Panther game, they were talking about how poor the Cowboy line was playing, and yet their play was light years ahead of the Cardinals.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
I think the key to a successful O-line is chemistry. Let the guys play together a while and watch them gel.

Of course, this philosophy doesn't apply to the Cardinals because that team defies physics.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
I think the key to a successful O-line is chemistry. Let the guys play together a while and watch them gel.

Exactly, and a nasty bulldog to be their leader and set the tone.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I dont need a 1st rounder. Get yourself a LB, DB, Peterson, Lynch, DE, what ever in the 1st round.

They just better show a complete dedication to picking OL in the later rounds early and often. Same goes for a weak FA class, and I dont need high priced guys, just solid and sound guys.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

With the exception of McNeil a Rookie Tackle who's been playing lights out (at least according to the man on the street) ((and I guy I was pimping in the draft, toot toot)) we can see here a ton of linemen from the Big Ten.

The conference recieves much flak for it's "grind it out" philosophy, one it's been trending away from slowly, but I wonder if that has anything to do with it? (Probably not, but it's fun to draw imaginary lines. Next? A dinosaur!)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS BEARS REPEATING. Guys and Girls, it's more than just the players. It's technique. It's chemistry. It's recognizing a players strengths as well as evaluating their talent. But I think our biggest problem is the whole offensive scheme.
We went from the top passing team last year and came in with the attitude we were going to become a running team. It's just too bad that we have a coach that had free agency, a draft , mini camps , training camp and now 8 games of the regular season to not realize our shortcomings.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I couldn't resist. From the BRS Draft Issue - Offensive Tackles:

1. Marcus McNeill, Auburn
6057 305 5.07...
BRS -Only issue that needs clearing up is his medical situation (spinal problem). It's no secret the Cardinals need better run blocking from their offensive line. While Ferguson is in a league by himself when it comes to pass blocking, McNeill has been part of an Auburn running attack that has been All World despite the changeover from one set of elite RB's to another. (Logically, it's got to be the coaching, the line blocking or both. That's one reason we're so high on McNeal and Auburn's other bookend tackle (Reddick))...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05