Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darren Lynn Bousman Helming Saw 2
Source: Variety
March 23, 2005

Twisted Pictures and Lions Gate Films have hired music video helmer Darren Lynn Bousman to direct Saw 2, reports Variety. Principal photography is set to begin May 2 in Toronto for a Halloween release.

The first film was released last Halloween and earned $80 million worldwide.

Bousman wrote the Saw 2 screenplay, which he developed with Leigh Whannel, writer and co-star of the original film, and James Wan, the movie's director.

Saw was the first title under the Twisted, the genre production arm of Evolution Entertainment. Twisted is currently shooting Catacombs, starring Shannyn Sossamon and Alecia Moore (aka Pink).

-------------------------------------------

So, will those who saw Saw see Saw 2? :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw 2

Release Date: October 28, 2005
Studio: Lions Gate Films
Director: Darren Lynn Bousman
Screenwriter: Darren Lynn Bousman, Leigh Whannell, James Wan
Genre: Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available

Starring: Shawnee Smith, Tobin Bell, Emmanuelle Vaugier

Plot Summary: The deranged, sadistic serial killer, who abducts morally wayward people and forces them to play horrific games for their own survival, is back. The killer is obsessed with teaching his victims the value of life.

Attachments

• saw22.jpg
    saw22.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 193

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw seriously creeped me out.

Not sure if I would want to sit through Saw 2.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More Join the Saw 2 Cast
Source: Variety
May 5, 2005

Variety says production began this week in Toronto on Saw 2. Joining the original film's stars Shawnee Smith, Dina Meyer and Tobin Bell are Donnie Wahlberg, Franky G., Glenn Plummer, Emmanuelle Vaugier, Beverley Mitchell and Eric Knudsen.

Twisted Pictures, the genre production arm of Evolution Entertainment, and Lions Gate Films are producing the film, scheduled for nationwide release on Halloween.

Saw 2 is written by Leigh Whannel and Darren Lynn Bousman, who also is making his feature directorial debut.

------------------------------------------------------

Marky Mark's bro (Sixth Sense, Ransom) and Lucy from 7th Heaven? :|

Franky G. plays a good tough guy (Italian Job, Confidence). :thumbup:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Saw seriously creeped me out.

Not sure if I would want to sit through Saw 2.

I fell asleap in the first half hour of Saw1. It seemed slow and I couldn't stay awake. Should I try to watch it again?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Now there's a poster you won't see in your local AMC.

MPAA Axes "Saw II" Poster
By Josh Grossberg
Aug 23, 2005

Talk about giving--and taking--the finger.

The Motion Picture Association of America has given a thumbs down to the poster for the upcoming slice-and-dice horror sequel Saw II featuring severed fingers as the Roman numerals.

The film's distributor had already sent out an advance poster, or one-sheet, with the graphic image to online media.

But now the MPAA, a trade group whose decency guidelines not only result in movie ratings but also apply to promotion materials, says the posters and other promotional material with the severed fingers are "unacceptable."

In a statement, the organization said it had not cleared the image and had asked the distributor to recall the artwork.

Marilyn Gordon, director of the MPAA's Advertising Administration, said if her department had been able to review the one-sheets before they were disseminated, it would have deemed the "materials for the film Saw II [that] display dismembered fingers is unacceptable."

If that wasn't bad enough, the MPAA says that some Websites were selling the unauthorized poster and others had begun running an unapproved theatrical trailer. The trailer was accompanied by an R rating, but it had not been vetted by the MPAA's Classification and Rating Administration, or CARA.

"It is essential that film distributors comply with the rules of the Advertising Administration so that parents retain the confidence they have in the ratings certified by CARA and that advertising and publicity material associated with rated films is appropriate for all audiences," says Gordon.

While reps for Lions Gate declined to comment, Gordon says the company has begun to comply with the MPAA's request and contacted Websites asking them to take down the images in question.

"We thank Lions Gate for its actions taken to correct the issues for the advertising for Saw II," Gordon added.

However, as of Tuesday morning, the official movie site, www.saw2.com, still displayed the severed fingers, along with the tag line: "Oh yes, there will be blood." And EBay had more than a dozen auctions featuring Saw II posters and even T-shirts with the offending digits.

The sequel was green-lighted just days after Saw opened last year and became a surprise hit. Directed by James Wan and starring Cary Elwes, Danny Glover, Leigh Wannell and Monica Potter, the indie thriller about a sadistic serial killer known as Jigsaw cost just $1.2 million and raked in more $100 million worldwide.

Saw II picks up with a new detective trying to track down Jigsaw. The sequel stars former New Kid on the Block Donnie Wahlberg, along with Tobin Bell and Shawnee Smith. It hits theaters on Oct. 28, just in time for Halloween.

Meanwhile, in related news, Elwes sued the producers of Saw last week, accusing them of screwing him out of a slice of the movie's back-end profits. The British actor seeks a percentage of grosses "equal to the highest-paid actor" on the production, as well as $500,000 in damages.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
I fell asleap in the first half hour of Saw1. It seemed slow and I couldn't stay awake. Should I try to watch it again?

If you fell asleep during the beginning of the 1st movie, you are seriously disturbed. It starts out crazy from the get go.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest poster...

Attachments

• saw2-clown.jpg
    saw2-clown.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 96

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Saw "Saw 2" This afternoon and honestly it wasn't bad. I guess it would depend on whether or not you like the twisted nature of the first one because the 2nd one is pretty similar.

The plot twists in this one were pretty obvious but still wasn't bad. Good gory, twisted fun ... if you expect more than that you'd probably be disappointed

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Saw "Saw 2" This afternoon and honestly it wasn't bad. I guess it would depend on whether or not you like the twisted nature of the first one because the 2nd one is pretty similar.

The plot twists in this one were pretty obvious but still wasn't bad. Good gory, twisted fun ... if you expect more than that you'd probably be disappointed

Totally agree. Good, but not as good as the first. Still sick and twisted though.

jibikao

Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

You thought the twist in the 2nd one is "obvious"??? Really?

I LOVE Saw 1 and I saw Saw 2 in the theater... it was very enjoyable but there were some crying kids and I just wanted to choke them to death. Those who bring their young kids to this kind of movie should just go to hell. It's just soooooooooooooooooooo irresponsible for parents to bring their young kids (or even babies!) to the theater and they can't shut their f******* mouth up. I think it's a crime and movie theater should kick those parents out with NO REFUNDS. LOL

Having said that... Saw 2 is definitely good if you are into this kind of movie. I know I enjoyed it and I don't think it was that "obvious" to figure out what the twist is.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Saw 2 this weekend....enjoyed it a bit, but I thought the first was way better than the second, mostly because you didn't expect the twist that came...while this one, you were waiting for it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Saw II last night. Man, some of that stuff was hard to watch.

I'm left with some questions, though. The guy said that if they figured out what their connection to each other was, they'd have a better chance of figuring out the combinations. How is that?

Also, I thought it was odd that the SWAT team kept pronouncing rooms "clear" when they hadn't looked underneath or behind the sheets that were covering monitors.
Same goes for not checking out the safe. You'd think with all those crazy booby traps and torture chamber stuff, they'd have abomb squad in there looking at everything.
So, that was a little distracting for me, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched Saw II last night. Man, some of that stuff was hard to watch.

I'm left with some questions, though. The guy said that if they figured out what their connection to each other was, they'd have a better chance of figuring out the combinations. How is that?

Also, I thought it was odd that the SWAT team kept pronouncing rooms "clear" when they hadn't looked underneath or behind the sheets that were covering monitors.
Same goes for not checking out the safe. You'd think with all those crazy booby traps and torture chamber stuff, they'd have abomb squad in there looking at everything.
So, that was a little distracting for me, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

I thought he was just using that as a ploy. Once they found out how they were all connected, they would begin to turn on each other, which is what happened

Overall, I thought that the first one was much better than the 2nd, and looking forward to watching 3 on DVD.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCR, re: your spoiler, I don't think so. That's not this guy's MO. He's generally pretty fair and literall in his "games." Maybe you're right, but if so then it's a poorly written moment in the movie because you're never led to believe that he just screws with people like that and it's a clue for the audience trying to figure it out that just hangs there.

Like the ex-addict said, "He wants us to win."

JMHO