Seahawks/Cardinals Special teams Consideration and Added Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Ken Whisenhunt was fairly pleased with the Cardinals' special teams last week, save his concerns for the return teams. It seemed that SF was winning the field position battles most of the night. As for the return game, on kickoff returns the Cardinals averaged 19.4 yards a return, with longs of 23 for Steve Breaston and 17 for J.J. Arrington. The blocking for them was poor. On punt returns the blocking was even worse as Breaston was tackled the second he caught the ball three times, averaging 0.3 yards a return.

It didn't help that K Neil Rackers didn't kick one touchback even when the wind was in his favor. Against the wind his kicks were being fielded at the ten yard line. Hopefully Rackers will get back to kicking touchbacks this week. The only wind this week will be coming from the beer stands!

P Matt Barr's numbers: 7/259/37.0/3 inside the 20/long of 46. Not bad, but not great.

Tampa Bay had some success on returns versus Seattle. Ernest Graham had a 31 yard kickoff return and Ike Hilliard had a 20 yard punt return, and averaged nearly 10 yards on 4 returns.

K Josh Brown is a good one...and he's clutch. 2/2 in field goals last week with a long of 46.

P Ryan Plackemeier had a good day: 6/258/43.0/3 inside the 20/long of 54...but, as previously stated, Hilliard averaged nearly 10 a return, so Plackemeier's net was only 36.7.

KR Nate Burleson: 2/35/17.5/long of 19.

The Cards need to get to Burleson early and often on punt returns...he had a 56 yard return on one of them...but only 7 yards on his other 4.

I noticed that Ralph Brown made one nice special teams tackle, as did Joe Tafoya. The Cards need role players to step up...and it would be great if Antrel Rolle would make a splash there. Where are you Sean Morey?

Other Thoughts:

1. Talk about two incredibly bizarre officiating scenarios in Monday night's game:

(a) when have any of us ever seen a first and one?

(b) the fact that no one seemed to know the rule about a forward fumble into the end zone...when the Seahawks recovered the ball, many of them were signaling touchdown...then, the announcing crew didn't add any clarification on the rule (with an ex-head coach and an ex-player in the booth) until the official did...then, all the post-game commentary about Green's opportunity to swat the ball out of the end zone issued from the Cardinal coaches and players---thus, they didn't know the rule that a player cannot swat a fumble out of the end zone for a touchback...which is mind boggling.

One would think the Cardinals and every other NFL team would have an NFL official come during mini-camp or the pre-season and verse the players with regard to all the rules.

One would think that when teams are practicing situations that rules such as the forward fumble rule would be addressed.

2. Why are so many two-minute, hurry-up offenses so successful?

(a) The major reason is having 4 downs to work with each time the chain moves...and absolutely knowing that 4 will be used when necessary.

(b) The sense of urgency and fast pace forces offenses to concentrate more than usual.

(c) Everyone loves to see a comeback, which is why even the officials are prone to swallowing their whistles, especially on holding calls.

(d) The defenses often go into a prevent mode...which, as we've all see can quickly become a "prevent their own win" scenario.

(e) The defenses versus the hurry-up have a very hard time changing their personnel, coverage and blitz calls.

Therefore...wouldn't it make more sense for teams to do everything they can to go for first downs when they have the lead and the ball?

3. It seems totally unthinkable that the Cardinals' best pass rusher, Bertrand Berry, was on the sidelines for several plays (by the coach's design), with the game on the line. Unreal.

And when I posted last week that the Cards should use DE Quentin Moses right away as an edge rusher in passing situations, it was amazing to me how many of the posters here were in favor of keeping Moses out for the first week, as the Cardinals elected to do. Moses could have gotten the sack to seal that victory...as no other DE in the final two minutes came anywhere close, even with a rookie at RT.

Not playing Berry and Moses on that last drive is analagous to Eric Green not recovering the fumble...in the sense that one play in that game could have made the difference between winning and losing...and one sack could have ruined it all for the 49ers...especially when they gambled on 4th and 1 by attempting to pass the ball....they still had a timeout left then.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice post interesting read! I also questioned why we didn't bring the house so to speak in the last drive for SF. I would rather have gotten burned and had a chance to win than let them march and use all the clock. Worst case scenerio A. Smith burns us and they score quick, well then we still would have had alot more time than 20 something seconds to march into FG range! Just didn't make sense to drop into freakin prevent with 3 min left, if their was 30 seconds left and 85 to go for TD prevent is the right call but not with 3 min. Way too much time for the O to take what you GIVE them and move the ball down the field!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These were special teams coach Kevin Spencer's goals going into the season;

• Keep the opponent inside the 26-yard line on kickoff coverage.

• Get Arizona's offense started at the 28 or beyond on kickoff returns.

• A double-digit average on all returns.

• A punting net average of 38 yards.

I'll provide more detailed analysis in a few more weeks.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the blocking for KR/PR was atrocious in that game. One of the definite lowlights.

HawkRule

Reaction score
Hello to all! First off, I'm a Seahawk fan, but I'm not here to talk smack. Love the site as I frequent the site seahawkblue.com and we use V Bulletin as well, so it's even easier for me to navigate.

To my post though,

Mitch,

After Burleson returned that punt for 56 yards to setup the Hawks first TD, the Bucs made it a point to angle every punt from there on out right at the sideline and were very successful doing it, which is a testament to their punter(name?). Burleson has recharged the Seahawk return game and is a threat every time he touches the ball now.

Until Hackett returns, Burleson will also be our #2 WR and depending on who you talk to, he won that job in TC, but DJ was being rewarded for his previous commitment and lack of complaining about his depth chart position.

One thing that makes Burle very dangerous this year is that he has stated that he has brought the "kick returner mentality" to the receiver position with him and that has enhanced not only his receiving game, but his return game as well.

I'm getting long winded here, but wanted to say, nice board and here's to an injury free game on Sunday!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Not playing Berry and Moses on that last drive is analagous to Eric Green not recovering the fumble...in the sense that one play in that game could have made the difference between winning and losing...and one sack could have ruined it all for the 49ers...especially when they gambled on 4th and 1 by attempting to pass the ball....they still had a timeout left then.

I didnt even notice that Berry was not in the game the last drive until I read about it today. What an odd decision. Either Berry was to tired and the coaches didnt think he had any thing left, or it was just a huge error on their part to take our best pass rusher out on a drive the 49ers were going to have to pass on every single play. Huge, huge mistake. Berry stated that Clancy just put in packages that didnt involve Berry, which is a load of crap considering Berry should be invloved on any pass rush packages which is what should have been running that last 2 Minutes. No wonder they were able to pass during that last 2 minutes, Smith had nothing to worry about.

As for Moses lets not crown the kid yet. He only had 4 sacks as a senior and if he was up to par as a right out of the box pass rusher then Oakland wouldnt have let him go after one training camp. Lets let this kid get his legs under him before we have to start relying on him after less then a week in our practices. He isnt exactly the pass rush mosnter some make him out to be, he is still just a pass rush prospect with potenial.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I didnt even notice that Berry was not in the game the last drive until I read about it today. What an odd decision. Either Berry was to tired and the coaches didnt think he had any thing left, or it was just a huge error on their part to take our best pass rusher out on a drive the 49ers were going to have to pass on every single play. Huge, huge mistake. Berry stated that Clancy just put in packages that didnt involve Berry, which is a load of crap considering Berry should be invloved on any pass rush packages which is what should have been running that last 2 Minutes. No wonder they were able to pass during that last 2 minutes, Smith had nothing to worry about.

As for Moses lets not crown the kid yet. He only had 4 sacks as a senior and if he was up to par as a right out of the box pass rusher then Oakland wouldnt have let him go after one training camp. Lets let this kid get his legs under him before we have to start relying on him after less then a week in our practices. He isnt exactly the pass rush mosnter some make him out to be, he is still just a pass rush prospect with potenial.

I would agree with you about Moses, Joe, IF the Cardinals had another edge rusher other than Berry. They did with Okeafor, but he's on the IR. This is why Moses in on passing downs makes sense this early...there is no one better.

Just stating this points out all the more how stupid it was to take Berry off the field on the last drive...that left ZERO edge rushers in the game.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It seems totally unthinkable that the Cardinals' best pass rusher, Bertrand Berry, was on the sidelines for several plays (by the coach's design), with the game on the line. Unreal.

They learned it from Green who used to take Fitz and Q out of the game once the Cards got in the redzone.

One thing that makes Burle very dangerous this year is that he has stated that he has brought the "kick returner mentality" to the receiver position with him and that has enhanced not only his receiving game, but his return game as well.

Since the Hail Mary pass seldom works why don't teams try throwing underneath to guys like Burleson? If you have a guy that hard to tackle in the open field why not give him a shot when you're down 5 on your 40 with .02 left?

It would be harder for them of course because there would be more guys deep instead of a line of guys coming down under a punt but I'd love to see a guy like Hester with the ball in that situation.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FG's/XPts

Mitch, on the subject of Special Teams, what did you think of Barr's holding? Seemed shaky to me, on that short FG by Rackers, which went just inside the right goal post. He put the ball down pretty close to his body (which might be where Rackers wants it), but it didn't look smooth. What do (and oothers) think?

HawkRule

Reaction score
They learned it from Green who used to take Fitz and Q out of the game once the Cards got in the redzone.

Since the Hail Mary pass seldom works why don't teams try throwing underneath to guys like Burleson? If you have a guy that hard to tackle in the open field why not give him a shot when you're down 5 on your 40 with .02 left?

It would be harder for them of course because there would be more guys deep instead of a line of guys coming down under a punt but I'd love to see a guy like Hester with the ball in that situation.

The problem with that is you have 10 guys blocking on a punt return and a 1v1 between the returner and punter if everything goes right.

On the pass that you're talking about, there is generally at least 4 people deep if not 5 and nobody to block them 5v1 is closer to impossible than 1v1.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah - on an all or nothing it would be difficult with the # of guys that are held deep - i still think that no matter how good a returner is most run backs have a lot to do with guys getting themselves out of position trying to make a play

i have noticed more in preseason (and even a little last week) that the hawks are starting to throw real quick passes to the receivers - basically WR screen plays or getting them a couple steps in motion and trying to get the ball in their hands - extreme timing can make those difficult, but they are a nice wrinkle if you can get them to work

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05