Sean Marks?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. Perhaps the Suns might package Burke and James Jones for a frontline player and that is why the Suns are signing Sean Marks... to fill out the roster with a veteran minimum type player. I know the Suns could use the TE but perhaps they don't won't to take on additional salary.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but this might be the thought process if the Suns wanted to sign another player.

I don't know how much combined salary Burke and JR would give the Suns to use in a trade and if it would be enough to get the right player. Also the Suns might have to throw in a pick.

I just see Marks and Burke as redundant.

Last edited:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
[And, if ever called upon for spot duty, Pike and Marks have veteran experience and will not wet themselves in the Conference Finals or NBA Finals. ]

A combined 15 playoff games of experience for the two. Pike, albeit an injury laden season, is coming off his statistically worst season of his career in shooting percentages.

[Easy - they are cheaper then the two 1st round draft picks, who would never have gotten any playing time next year. Use that same money to keep guys who will play, like Diaw and LB.]

A Post on another thread says the Suns likely won't resign Barbosa this summer. D'Antoni is on record as saying they might not even sign either Diaw or Barbosa.

Not to mention their extension won't take effect until after this season.

[Banks turned down more money, minutes and a starting job to learn from Nash and D'Antoni, and play for a ring.]

Banks' starting gig was up when Mike James was signed by the TWolves. Who reportedly fought to get Banks back because of a technicality they couldn't at the $2.5 million or so price. So Banks actually took more pay and likely the same amount of play.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
[Ugh - can we (this Board, not just you Louis) please not keep another complete falsehood alive about this offseason?]

Falsehood? An exaggeration maybe. But the Suns tried to get guys like Tim Thomas, Lindsey Hunter, Bobby Jackson, Vlad Radmanovich, John Salmons, Eric Piatkowksi, Francisco Elson....

Can't think of anymore players the Suns were interested in.

Those guys were all considered prior to the Suns signing Banks. Which is funny when reading D'Antoni's quote on signing Banks.

"If you asked me today who I wanted between Marcus Banks and John Salmons, it's Marcus Banks, hands down," D'Antoni said. "And I'm not just saying that."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Louis said:
[Ugh - can we (this Board, not just you Louis) please not keep another complete falsehood alive about this offseason?]

Falsehood? An exaggeration maybe. But the Suns tried to get guys like Tim Thomas, Lindsey Hunter, Bobby Jackson, Vlad Radmanovich, John Salmons, Eric Piatkowksi, Francisco Elson....

Can't think of anymore players the Suns were interested in.

Those guys were all considered prior to the Suns signing Banks. Which is funny when reading D'Antoni's quote on signing Banks.

[/FONT]

There is nothing that says the Suns actively pursued Radmanovich, Lindsey Hunter, Elson or Bobby Jackson. There was interest in at least Hunter, but I'm not sure how strong they were pursuing him. We've probably asked about several other players none of us have even thought of.

We know the Suns definitely tried to get Tim Thomas, Eric Piatkowski, John Salmons and Marcus Banks. We got 2 of those 4. Those are the only 4 (and now apparently Sean Marks) that we even offered a contract to.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
And Drew Gooden and Matt Harpring and Tony Delk too.

The information about Delk, Hunter, Jackson, and Harpring are from the AZ Rep. Radmonovich info from http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sp ... 210487.php

Elson info from the Rocky Mountain News discussing a sign and trade with Phoenix.

===================

But don't get me wrong, I like Banks, and at another site I frequent was on my short list of available FAs before the FA signing period began.

His defense could be huge here. Mix him with Bell, KT, Diaw, and Marion and the Suns could pull off some huge stops down the stretch.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
The actual evidence that Sarver was willing to go into lux tax territory was the fact the Suns were attempting to obtain Drew Gooden without giving up players.

Do we know that for sure, or was that just sports talk?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
sunsfn said:

Like 80% of the stuff that is mentioned on this thread, it was most likely sports and newspaper rumormongering.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
The actual evidence that Sarver was willing to go into lux tax territory was the fact the Suns were attempting to obtain Drew Gooden without giving up players.
I'm curious as to the mechanics of that deal--were the Suns planning to start Gooden at $3.7m?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:

I know for a fact the Suns inquired about Gooden. Don't know much else about it, but that much I can confirm with reputable second-hand info.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I'm curious as to the mechanics of that deal--were the Suns planning to start Gooden at $3.7m?

That's the only conclusion I can draw, but also understand as late as May, Gooden wasn't asking for much more than that.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Louis said:
[Banks turned down more money, minutes and a starting job to learn from Nash and D'Antoni, and play for a ring.]

Banks' starting gig was up when Mike James was signed by the TWolves. Who reportedly fought to get Banks back because of a technicality they couldn't at the $2.5 million or so price. So Banks actually took more pay and likely the same amount of play.

I was referring to the deal Banks turned down from Houston for the full MLE.

Let's just agree that it's great Banks is on the Suns, and at a reasonable price. Great signing.

Soapbox warning/

BTW, I am totally sick and tired of all the bi*#@ing and moaning about the Suns front office this summer. I think they have done nothing to deserve the kind of grief people have been dishing out. Some concern, maybe. But the venom people are tossing around? Do you even remember how great last season was, and what a great team we have?

Did some of their plans not work out? Sure, but that's life. Happens all the time. What matters is how you adjust, learn lessons and move on.

Frankly, I think a lot of folks are so anxious for a Suns Championship, and so nervous about it not happening, that they are looking for a reason, ANY REASON, to freak out and say the sky is falling.

Give it a rest. Enjoy your summer. Have a cold beer. Stay out of the heat. Basketball season will start soon enough.
:cheers: :suns:

/soapbox warning

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
There is nothing that says the Suns actively pursued Radmanovich, Lindsey Hunter, Elson or Bobby Jackson. There was interest in at least Hunter, but I'm not sure how strong they were pursuing him. We've probably asked about several other players none of us have even thought of.

We know the Suns definitely tried to get Tim Thomas, Eric Piatkowski, John Salmons and Marcus Banks. We got 2 of those 4. Those are the only 4 (and now apparently Sean Marks) that we even offered a contract to.

I honestly would not call the Tim Thomas loss a failure. That seems fairly apparent to me that the Phoenix Suns did not value TT as much as other teams and especially the fans on this message board. I mean they didn't even get close to offering enough for him, and he gave them the chance at a discount. They passed.

Chap, it was well reported that they did go hard after Lindsey Hunter. They offered him a contract larger than the one he took from Detroit. However, his family lives in Detroit, and the Pistons offered him a future in the front office.

Joe Mama

nowagimp

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I honestly would not call the Tim Thomas loss a failure. That seems fairly apparent to me that the Phoenix Suns did not value TT as much as other teams and especially the fans on this message board. I mean they didn't even get close to offering enough for him, and he gave them the chance at a discount. They passed.
Joe Mama

I dont know that they passed on TT not being worth 6mil, but they may have decided a quality backup for Nash was more important. The suns just seemed to give up their leads all the time with Nash on the bench. As much as I like the spacing that TT demanded, I like backing up Nash with quality better. And I'm not talking Lindsey Hunter or Bobby Jackson, but I like Marcus Banks who brings 'D' and 'O'. Given the choice between the two, TT vs Banks, I'll take Banks for the need and the upside.

nowagimp

Reaction score
TBaslim said:
I was referring to the deal Banks turned down from Houston for the full MLE.

Let's just agree that it's great Banks is on the Suns, and at a reasonable price. Great signing.
BTW, I am totally sick and tired of all the bi*#@ing and moaning about the Suns front office this summer. :cheers: :suns:

It happens every year. Last year it was JJ, and how Diaw, Bell couldnt make up for the loss of JJ. Barbosa was a bum before he started tearing teams up as well. Patience of suns fans is apparently short. Its a good thing that suns management has more patience and vision.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. I don't think I called it a failure.

Chap, it was well reported that they did go hard after Lindsey Hunter. They offered him a contract larger than the one he took from Detroit. However, his family lives in Detroit, and the Pistons offered him a future in the front office.

Joe Mama

Aah, ok, my mistake, I don't recall them ever offering him a contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Louis said:
And Drew Gooden and Matt Harpring and Tony Delk too.

The information about Delk, Hunter, Jackson, and Harpring are from the AZ Rep. Radmonovich info from http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sp ... 210487.php

Elson info from the Rocky Mountain News discussing a sign and trade with Phoenix.

===================

But don't get me wrong, I like Banks, and at another site I frequent was on my short list of available FAs before the FA signing period began.

His defense could be huge here. Mix him with Bell, KT, Diaw, and Marion and the Suns could pull off some huge stops down the stretch.

Just because the Suns might have made a phone call, doesn't mean they were pursuing them, or that they were somehow higher on the list than someone else. I am sure didn't call players in any particular order after the first few hours of free agency.

Even then, some of those reports might have come from agents who initiated the calls themselves trying to create a little buzz for their clients.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
I dont know that they passed on TT not being worth 6mil, but they may have decided a quality backup for Nash was more important. The suns just seemed to give up their leads all the time with Nash on the bench. As much as I like the spacing that TT demanded, I like backing up Nash with quality better. And I'm not talking Lindsey Hunter or Bobby Jackson, but I like Marcus Banks who brings 'D' and 'O'. Given the choice between the two, TT vs Banks, I'll take Banks for the need and the upside.

Could not agree more, Nobody expected Thomas to return whenn the Suns first signed him, he was brought in primarily as a Band-Aid for the Amare non-Return and Thomas injury. The way I see it is the Suns lost lost 2 slots in there line up of last year in Thomas and House and they will be replaced by Amare and Banks, Now Nash can actually get some rest.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was looking at Sean Marks' profile on Hoopshype. He was on the New Zealand national team.

So there's the answer, the Suns wanted to be sure they had guys from every hemisphere on the team. ;)

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I was looking at Sean Marks' profile on Hoopshype. He was on the New Zealand national team.

So there's the answer, the Suns wanted to be sure they had guys from every hemisphere on the team. ;)
What, Barbosa doesn't count?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05