Search called off for missing boat/players

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Nick Schuyler, 24, told investigators that about two to four hours after their boat capsized Saturday in rough seas, one of the two professional football players gave up hope and let himself be swept away, according to family members of two of the missing men.

A few hours later, the second one did the same.

"We were told that Nick said the two NFL players took their life jackets off and drifted out to sea," said Bob Bleakley, whose son Will, 25, is also still missing.

With former Tampa Bay Buccaneers Marquis Cooper and Corey Smith gone, only Schuyler and Bleakley remained clinging to the boat.

Then, sometime Monday morning, Will Bleakley thought he saw a light in the distance and decided to take off his life jacket and swim to it, hoping to get help.

"I think he was delusional to think he could swim someplace," Bleakley said.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...icle980720.ece

Very sad news.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The link doesn't work although that chain of events sounds entirely plausible. Although it almost sounds bizarre at the same time. Were they just too tired? Why would they let go?

Last edited:

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Sorta puts things into perspective. The signing of a Quarterback and/or free agents seems to pale in comparison to life and death situations.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The link doesn't work although that chain of events sounds entirely plausible. Although it almost sounds bizarre at the same time. Were they just too tired? Why would they let go?

One of the things that happens with hypothermia is that you just want to stop moving and go to sleep. Mountain climbers are highly aware of that risk. I doubt these guys were.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RIP

From what I've read they were all very good people. They are now in a better place and hopefully that brings a bit of comfort to their parents.

skfan

Reaction score
Their parents will be interviewed tonight on Larry King, if anyone interested.

Very sad, to say the least. Let's hope and pray for miracle.