Season is just too long.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I'm ready for the playoffs right now, yet we still have another 50 games to go. Wouldn't August be the best time for the playoffs? Before the NFL season kicks off.

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I like that it's long, your team has some breathing room, like you loose 4 in a row and you're not out.

But seeing as how the Dbacks are on a tear, yeah I'd love the season to end today. :D

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I agree, Shark. MLB season is just WAY too long. Not to mention the game itself.

Thank goodness for TiVo - I just fast forward thru the opponents half of the inning.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I agree, Shark. MLB season is just WAY too long. Not to mention the game itself.

Thank goodness for TiVo - I just fast forward thru the opponents half of the inning.

Yeah but then you are watching the game delayed and might as well watch sportscenter...

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I don't mind it. I watch as many games as I can and I enjoy it. With that said I'm in postseason mode when there's 100 games left.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yeah but then you are watching the game delayed and might as well watch sportscenter...

No, it's live TV (I have a dual tuner TiVo) so I let it accumulate 30 minutes while I watch the other channel. Then, repeat process. :)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baseball is around to kill time before the NFL starts.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baseball is around to kill time before the NFL starts.

Threads like this (and particularly statements like above) are the reason this particular forum on this site is dead and irrelevant. It's sad really.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
It's dead? I would say there's plenty of discussion about baseball here.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Threads like this (and particularly statements like above) are the reason this particular forum on this site is dead and irrelevant. It's sad really.

Huh? I've got to agree w/ Nasser, the Dbacks forum gets plenty of discussion, sure its not as much as the Suns or Cards, but its not as vacant as the 'Yotes forum for instance. I read the Dbacks forum far more than the Cards forum because its just depressing.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) I've always felt MLB had the only true regular season because of the number of games. You feel like you get a true champion and no one can have a single excuse about lack of opportunity to prove their worth for the playoffs.

2) I can't imagine not watching our own pitchers. Too me, that's the most pure part of baseball -- as a fan. I'm almost oblivious to what the batters are doing. I'm trying to go through the same mental process to see if I can figure out how they're going to pitch each hitter.

The whole goal of MLB offense is to get a pitcher to throw more fastballs in the hot zones. The whole goal of MLB pitching is to get hitters to swing at balls out of their comfort zone (either to miss or to put the ball favorably into play). The mind games that go into this are absolutely fun to learn, and then to exercise, when you're watching a game. I can't imagine watching baseball without studying along with pitchers.

I forgot who was pitching for the Padres the other day, but Gracie was going on and on about how good his curveball was. Well, his curveball was great unless someone was on third base. Then he couldn't throw it because his curve is a dirt eater -- can't risk a pass ball. A runner in third turn this pitcher into batting practice. He had to come with his straight (and mediocre) fastball, which the young D-Backs hitters absolutely love to eat up.

That's an integral part to enjoying baseball, IMO.

Last edited:

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
1) I've always felt MLB had the only true regular season because of the number of games. You feel like you get a true champion and no one can have a single excuse about lack of opportunity to prove their worth for the playoffs.

2) I can't imagine not watching our own pitchers. Too me, that's the most pure part of baseball -- as a fan. I'm almost oblivious to what the batters are doing. I'm trying to go through the same mental process to see if I can figure out how they're going to pitch each hitter.

The whole goal of MLB offense is to get a pitcher to throw more fastballs in the hot zones. The whole goal of MLB pitching is to get hitters to swing at balls out of their comfort zone (either to miss or to put the ball favorably into play). The mind games that go into this are absolutely fun to learn, and then to exercise, when you're watching a game. I can't imagine watching baseball without studying along with pitchers.

I forgot who was pitching for the Padres the other day, but Gracie was going on and on about how good his curveball was. Well, his curveball was great unless someone was on third base. Then he couldn't throw it because his curve is a dirt eater -- can't risk a pass ball. A runner in third turn this pitcher into batting practice. He had to come with his straight (and mediocre) fastball, which the young D-Backs hitters absolutely love to eat up.

That's an integral part to enjoying baseball, IMO.

Ditto.

Beautiful post.

:thumbup:

The only time for me that baseball drags is mid-July. August is positioning, and September can be gut-wrenching. I have watched nearly every game for many years and never get tired of it. If one game is a blowout, the next is a clean slate. Different pitcher, different game. Unlike football (my first love) baseball needs a series to determine which is the better "team".

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? I've got to agree w/ Nasser, the Dbacks forum gets plenty of discussion, sure its not as much as the Suns or Cards, but its not as vacant as the 'Yotes forum for instance. I read the Dbacks forum far more than the Cards forum because its just depressing.

Not as much as Movie's and Entertainment, either. This board is a Cards board, with some Suns fans, that happens to have a few people come over to the DBacks forum on occasion during the season. It's just not the place to come if you're a die hard baseball fan. If you love the game enough to want to talk about it year round like people in the Cards forum do, you don't want to deal with people coming over here and telling you your sport sucks. I'm not here to change it or anything, just making the comment about it.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
the season could never be shortened because players deserve the same chance to break records imo. of course now that baseball records no longer mean nothing aside from the 56 game hitting streak who cares. i'm all for having the world series end right before preseason starts. of course i'm joking, except for the meaningless records part.