Seattle meeting with Wilcox today----article about rejecting Suns trade

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Chap, And apparently this came from a Seattle paper, right? So I guess if said paper said "Apparently, the sky is green," then that's proof enough, eh? "

"The Sonics have apparently received... and they rejected.."

In this English sentence form 'apparently' does not apply to the second phrase - repeating the subject (they), putting 'apparently' in the middle of the first phrase, and altering the verb type all make that clear. The normal way to make 'apparently' apply to two verbs is a construction like "Apparently, the Sonics have received... and have rejected...."

Ask anyone who's native tongue is English.

I must be missing something here. Chap is questioning whether the Phoenix Suns ever really proposed this trade in the first place. While I am a little more willing to accept these kind of reports without really questioning them much I do agree that he has a point.

Maybe I need to go back and read the thread again to figure out why the English lesson was necessary.

Joe

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Chap, And apparently this came from a Seattle paper, right? So I guess if said paper said "Apparently, the sky is green," then that's proof enough, eh? "

"The Sonics have apparently received... and they rejected.."

In this English sentence form 'apparently' does not apply to the second phrase - repeating the subject (they), putting 'apparently' in the middle of the first phrase, and altering the verb type all make that clear. The normal way to make 'apparently' apply to two verbs is a construction like "Apparently, the Sonics have received... and have rejected...."

Ask anyone who's native tongue is English.

I can't believe you posted this. But thanks for the laugh Errntknight. :thumbup:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Joe, "I must be missing something here. Chap is questioning whether the Phoenix Suns ever really proposed this trade in the first place. While I am a little more willing to accept these kind of reports without really questioning them much I do agree that he has a point."

Chaplin's point in the reply we both quoted was that I missed the word 'apparently' in the article. My point was that I saw the word but also saw that the author was not applying it to the part about the Sonics rejecting the Suns offer. (I don't have that much faith in what sports reporters claim either, but he did claim it outright.)

I have to confess I was setting a trap for Chap by my quote from the article and he jumped right into it - I guessed from his first reply that he'd misread the sentence in question so I gave him a chance to prove it. And he cooperated perfectly.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I can't believe you posted this. But thanks for the laugh Errntknight.

You're welcome Chap... I enjoyed it a good bit myself.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Joe, "I must be missing something here. Chap is questioning whether the Phoenix Suns ever really proposed this trade in the first place. While I am a little more willing to accept these kind of reports without really questioning them much I do agree that he has a point."

Chaplin's point in the reply we both quoted was that I missed the word 'apparently' in the article. My point was that I saw the word but also saw that the author was not applying it to the part about the Sonics rejecting the Suns offer. (I don't have that much faith in what sports reporters claim either, but he did claim it outright.)

I have to confess I was setting a trap for Chap by my quote from the article and he jumped right into it - I guessed from his first reply that he'd misread the sentence in question so I gave him a chance to prove it. And he cooperated perfectly.

It's quite obvious you never understood or perhaps ignored my point. Taking an out-of-state article and having it become gospel. Was that ever confirmed by any Arizona sources? Or any sources outside of Seattle, period? That was my point.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm sorry but wilcox is a smaller version of an unmotivated Eric Dampier no thanks! Bet he would really work hard once he has some big contract....

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mesacardsfan said:
I'm sorry but wilcox is a smaller version of an unmotivated Eric Dampier no thanks! Bet he would really work hard once he has some big contract....
:confused: He played behind Elton Brand and Chris Kaman and got no playing time. He did very well when he got minutes in Seattle. Erick Dampier is slow. Chris Wilcox is a world class athlete. One is a PF. The other is a C. I don't see how you could make that comparison.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
you mean to move up in the draft?
we've heard this before ... somewhere

actually he meant what he said. They could package those draft picks to move down. I'm sure you're wondering why they would do that. It's simple. They save money by not taking the higher draft picks. :)

Joe Mama

Errntknght

Reaction score
Chaplin, "It's quite obvious you never understood or perhaps ignored my point."

Of course I understood your trivial 'point' but it was more fun to reply to what you chose to say in your post. Sheesh, who'd be dumb enough to argue that sports reporters always get their facts straight?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Chaplin, "It's quite obvious you never understood or perhaps ignored my point."

Of course I understood your trivial 'point' but it was more fun to reply to what you chose to say in your post. Sheesh, who'd be dumb enough to argue that sports reporters always get their facts straight?

Um, you. I guess. You're the one that took it as gospel. :D

Errntknght

Reaction score
Um, you. I guess. You're the one that took it as gospel.

No, I took it as most likely true since, in Seattle, rejecting KT merits a yawn. Why bother to invent something like that or even guess at it. Then I said, "I guess this means..." - which you somehow mis-understood to be a claim to absolute truth.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outsider perspective: Is this how stupid the spats between me and Chap are? If so, I apologize to everyone for the past and in advance of our next go round!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Outsider perspective: Is this how stupid the spats between me and Chap are? If so, I apologize to everyone for the past and in advance of our next go round!

That about covers it.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm with Chap on this. We don't know:

1. Was there are a real offer or just apparently one?

2. Was the offer (if it existed) based on a desire to get Wilcox or a desire to move KT?

3. What was included in the offer going both directions?

4. What was the source of the story and what was the motivation for leaking it?

5. If the offer was rejected, what was the reason? Was it that they are a young team that wants to develop their young bigs, was it that they don't like KT, were there not enough draft picks included, etc.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Is this how stupid the spats between me and Chap are?

I skip Chaplin's spats with everyone else so I can't speak with authority - but with a common protagonist many points of similarity are to be expected.

Hi there George... I think I'm glad you're on Chap's side...

Last edited:

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Um, you. I guess. You're the one that took it as gospel.

No, I took it as most likely true since, in Seattle, rejecting KT merits a yawn. Why bother to invent something like that or even guess at it. Then I said, "I guess this means..." - which you somehow mis-understood to be a claim to absolute truth.

It depends upon what the meaning of the word "is" is[SIZE=-1]...[/SIZE]

nowagimp

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Dont worry cheese, Chap has a way of bringing out the stupid in everybody, myself included.

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
"Dont worry cheese, Chap has a way of bringing out the stupid in everybody, myself included"

lol. funny!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
Dont worry cheese, Chap has a way of bringing out the stupid in everybody, myself included.

That ain't no lie.

Seriously, though, why is everyone all over my back? I simply said that I wouldn't put a lot of stock in an out-of-town article, and Errntknght turns it around saying I have no reading comprehension. What did I do? Simply say that one shouldn't place a lot of trust in a Seattle article regarding our team, when nothing from any other media outlet (including Phoenix media) supports it. And did that merit me becoming a punching bag?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
... Seriously, though, why is everyone all over my back? I simply said that I wouldn't put a lot of stock in an out-of-town article, and Errntknght turns it around saying I have no reading comprehension. What did I do? Simply say that one shouldn't place a lot of trust in a Seattle article regarding our team, when nothing from any other media outlet (including Phoenix media) supports it. And did that merit me becoming a punching bag?

I don't have a clue sometimes. Why does a person climb a mountain... because it's there? :)

Errntknght

Reaction score
Chap, "I simply said that I wouldn't put a lot of stock in an out-of-town article, and Errntknght turns it around saying I have no reading comprehension."

Short term memory problems, too, eh? This is the post you made that merited comments about your reading comprehension.

Chap,"And apparently this came from a Seattle paper, right? So I guess if said paper said "Apparently, the sky is green," then that's proof enough, eh?"

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Chap, "I simply said that I wouldn't put a lot of stock in an out-of-town article, and Errntknght turns it around saying I have no reading comprehension."

Short term memory problems, too, eh? This is the post you made that merited comments about your reading comprehension.

Chap,"And apparently this came from a Seattle paper, right? So I guess if said paper said "Apparently, the sky is green," then that's proof enough, eh?"

I'm still lost here. Obviously Chap was saying that just because it was reported by a Seattle paper that the Phoenix Suns "apparently" made this offer it doesn't mean that it actually happened. Instead of arguing that point you came back with some English lesson about whether the word "apparently" gets attached to the offer as well as the rejection. It really had nothing to do with his post as far as I can tell.

I've gotten after Chap from this reading my posts and others in the past. In this case I just don't see the point. His post had nothing to do with whether apparently described the offer or the rejection.

Joe

Errntknght

Reaction score
I trust you can see Chaplin made as issue of the word 'apparently' being used in the sentence in the article. (In his last quoted post.)

In response I pointed out that the word does not pertain to the part of the sentence about the Sonics rejecting the Suns offer of KT - in what you call the English lesson. What in the world is puzzling about that?

Why would we dispute about this? Because we can both see that one way it strengthens his contention that the quote from the article means next to nothing and the other way it strengthens my contention that it means the Suns probably did offer KT to the Sonics.