Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Chris Wilcox Dreading Another Full Season Of Making An Effort

This is from the latest issue of thebrushback.com

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I trust you can see Chaplin made as issue of the word 'apparently' being used in the sentence in the article. (In his last quoted post.)

In response I pointed out that the word does not pertain to the part of the sentence about the Sonics rejecting the Suns offer of KT - in what you call the English lesson. What in the world is puzzling about that?

Why would we dispute about this? Because we can both see that one way it strengthens his contention that the quote from the article means next to nothing and the other way it strengthens my contention that it means the Suns probably did offer KT to the Sonics.

How in the world does it strengthen or weaken the argument? I could see if it said the Phoenix Suns offered Kurt Thomas and "apparently" the sonics rejected it. That would be stating the offer as a fact (even though it would still be fair to question its legitimacy) while the word "apparently" raises some questions about whether the rejection actually happened.

The article said it the other way around. I don't see how it makes the supposed offer any more probable because the author of the story didn't get so specific as to say that the offer was also "apparently" rejected. Besides, it doesn't really matter. There had to be an offer in the first place an order for it to be rejected, and Chap was questioning whether the offer was never made in the first place.

BTW if I had to guess I would say the Phoenix Suns probably did make the offer. I just hope they aren't offering too many sweeteners to get deals like this done.

Joe

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's an update;

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/281048_sonics12.html

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Progress with Sonics pleases Wilcox's agent

By GARY WASHBURN
P-I REPORTER

Jeff Fried, the agent for Sonics forward Chris Wilcox, left Seattle on Friday morning feeling much more positive about his client's future with the team.

Fried said he will return Monday from Washington, D.C., to continue discussions with Sonics general manager Rick Sund, an encouraging sign that negotiations have progressed the past two days.

"I think today was a further productive day on top of yesterday's activities," Fried said before boarding a plane to Washington. "Each day we seem to be getting further areas defined. We just left it there. We are going to regroup on Monday."

According to an NBA source, the two sides could come to an agreement on a three-year, $21 million deal by early next week. The two sides have agreed on a three-year deal and they entered talks Thursday about $5 million apart.

Sund, who has not commented on the record about negotiations since they began, could not be reached for comment. The Sonics have stood by their offer of a three-year deal worth $19 million, while Fried requested $24 million over three years.

On Monday, Fried told the P-I that he didn't believe Sund had confidence in Wilcox as a potential cornerstone. His sentiments have changed.

"One of the results of our meeting was a clear mutual confirmation that this is a good fit for Chris and the team and an endorsement for both sides," he said. "That really shows a lot to me. These discussions have confirmed that same mutual viewpoint that this would be a good place for Chris."

Wilcox, who turns 25 on Sept. 3, averaged 14.1 points and 8.2 rebounds in 29 games with the Sonics last season. He could accept the team's $3.7 million, one-year qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent next season, but that looks to be a decreasing possibility at this juncture.

"We feel that there is some progress, and the Monday meeting, I think, was a further indication that we're making some progress," Fried said. "The fact that I am going back and forth cross-country is a good sign. If we continue with the productive nature of the meetings, that's a positive step for everybody."

Errntknght

Reaction score
Okay, Joe, I can finally see how I have completely muddied the waters about this. As obvious as it is that if 'apparently' applies to receiving one concrete deal, then it must apply to the offer they got from Phoenix - I didn't get it. Why? Because I understood the phrase:
"The Sonics have apparently received just one concrete deal..."
to mean: the Sonics have received one concrete offer but, apparently, just one.
Since I never said that, it would be hard to guess.
I still think that is almost certainly what it means but I have to admit that Chap's interpretation is clearly possible within the bounds of correct English. So I apologize to you, Chap, for the 'English lesson'.

And thanks to you Joe for persisting in pointing out my failure to make sense. Hopefully, it makes more sense now.