September Games

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buddy Groom is horrible. He and Worrell have no place being on this team.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Estes doing well in his first start after coming off the DL, 5 shutout innings so far.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Medders tossed, Melvin tossed, Bell tossed -- with 2 out in the 9th, two men on, 7-1 over the Rox. And Bulger comes in cold and walks Helton - which could be worse.

Sigh. It's never easy.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Team W L PCT. GB

Padres 71 70 .504 -

Diamondbacks 65 78 .455 7.0

Dodgers 64 77 .454 7.0

Giants 64 77 .454 7.0

Wow. We're back in second in the NL West, microspcopically speaking. Will we never just curl up and die and blow away?
:confused:

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
How about Mr. Glaus?! Imagine he'd have made us pretty happy if he'd actually been healthy all season. Glaus:

34 HR 91 RBI 75 BB 132 K .367 OBP .527 SLG .267 BA

Sexson:

34 HR 104RBI 75 BB 148 K .366 OBP .539 SLG .263 BA

Much as I like him as a player, I find the huge wad of tobacco Glaus stuffs in his cheek pretty disgusting - it'll start dribbling out his nose soon. Does this bother anyone else? I was also saddened to see Tracy chewing tobacco. As long as the team sucks, may as well reinstate the ban on chaw in dugout and clubhouse.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Tuesday's expected starters:

CAPUANO 16-9, 3.63 ERA

vs.

Vazquez 10-14, 4.74 ERA

Just to remind the folks who said throwing Cappy in on the Sexson trade was no big loss -- he'd look mighty good in a DBacks uni now.

And Glaus, whose numbers are now nearly identical to Sexson (whose team record is worse than ours) sort of proves it was a fallacy that Sexson - or any one big slugger - is enough to make or break the season on an aging or otherwise mediocre team. That trade sucked then, and it still does, and Joe Jr. STILL should be tarred and feathered for it.
You must be registered for see images

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Capuano and the Brewers mowed down the DBacks yesterday. Funny how that franchise is on their way up while we slowly cricle the drain.

Where are all the front office apologists now?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Capuano and the Brewers mowed down the DBacks yesterday. Funny how that franchise is on their way up while we slowly cricle the drain.

Where are all the front office apologists now?
Heh, the Brewers might be improving (nowhere to really go but up after 15 years or so of horrible baseball), but I still wouldnt trade places with them.

Take the 2005 Dbacks and give them a decent bullpen and they hover around .500. Not great, but not bad. And honestly, thats all I really ask for in the next 1-3 years until Quentin/Drew/Upton arrive.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Heh, the Brewers might be improving (nowhere to really go but up after 15 years or so of horrible baseball), but I still wouldnt trade places with them.
Why exactly is that? Considering the Brewers have a better farm system and younger, cheaper, superior major league talent you'd be hard pressed to find any personnel guy around the bigs that agrees with you.

Take the 2005 Dbacks and give them a decent bullpen and they hover around .500. Not great, but not bad. And honestly, thats all I really ask for in the next 1-3 years until Quentin/Drew/Upton arrive.
Yeah, and if you give the Brewers the extra $25 million the D-Backs have they'd be challenging the Cardinals for the NL's best record.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Why exactly is that? Considering the Brewers have a better farm system and younger, cheaper, superior major league talent you'd be hard pressed to find any personnel guy around the bigs that agrees with you.
Looking at a projected depth chart of the two teams, Id say they look fairly equal about 3 years from now. The Brewers team may be cheaper, but the Diamondbacks can afford to spend the more money. The Diamondbacks have the ability to fill holes through free agency, which the Brewers will be hard pressed to do.

Yeah, and if you give the Brewers the extra $25 million the D-Backs have they'd be challenging the Cardinals for the NL's best record.
The difference is, the Brewers won't have an extra $25M to throw around next off-season, but the Diamondbacks will have the opportunity to spend a couple million to upgrade the bullpen.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So in your opinion judging the future and the ability to win is solely contingent upon having extra money to spend (which the DBacks have) and not talent in the majors and minors (which the Brewers have)? If that's the case you must think the Mets have a brighter future than the A's.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
So in your opinion judging the future and the ability to win is solely contingent upon having extra money to spend (which the DBacks have) and not talent in the majors and minors (which the Brewers have)? If that's the case you must think the Mets have a brighter future than the A's.
The ability to spend money is certainly a large factor.

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
Would I rather be rooting for a team like the DBacks are NOW or like the Brewers are NOW?

Brewers - Absolutely no contest. They have more fun playing the game, they compete with energy and enthusiasm, and they are described as "those pesky Brewers." They have a lot of promising kids who are in play and will only get better. They won't have a bunch of lumbering behemoths roaming around past their prime over the next 3-4 years.

Plus they'd be running away with the NL West.

I'd rather have had their front office making the decisions last couple years, that's for sure.

Billexium

Reaction score
Well if the D'Backs go 12-4 the rest of the way and the Padres finish up 6-11 I'd rather be rooting for the home team! Fantasyland is fun!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
The ability to spend money is certainly a large factor.
Yes, but more of a factor than the noticeable difference in talent at the minor league and major league level? Not to mention the the difference in age and salary flexibility of each team?

Sorry CHF, but you're being a homer on this one. This whole organization is a trainwreck and the laughingstock of baseball and I'm shocked more cannot see it.

I also want to disagree that we'll somehow be a .500 team with a better bullpen next year. Our offense is below average in the NL even though we play 81 games a year in a lauching pad and our starting pitching is below average as well.

Last edited:

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Would I rather be rooting for a team like the DBacks are NOW or like the Brewers are NOW?

Brewers - Absolutely no contest. They have more fun playing the game, they compete with energy and enthusiasm, and they are described as "those pesky Brewers." They have a lot of promising kids who are in play and will only get better. They won't have a bunch of lumbering behemoths roaming around past their prime over the next 3-4 years.

Plus they'd be running away with the NL West.

I'd rather have had their front office making the decisions last couple years, that's for sure.

At the xtra inning game the Brewers werre on the top step of the dugout, rooting for the team, while the Dbacks were all on the bench looking very sullen. If I had a choice I would rather have the Brewers.

az240z

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
OK, before the end of last night's game, SD had clinched the division.

So - WHY did
You must be registered for see images
run Valverde out there? That was the 8th time in the last ten games, I believe. It's not like it MATTERED - but I guess he always has to be pushing one young arm or another right to the brink.

Not young bats, of course - those can't be trusted. But man, those young arms sure are fun to chew up and spit out!

FIRE BOB MELVIN!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan