Shawn Green A D'Back Afterall

Kolo

Reaction score
Per the Trib this morning, Green and AZ are far apart in negotiations, w/ Green wanting wanting $10+ million per year in an extension. Speculated that he might not waive his no trade w/out an extension. If he waives his no trade and we don't sign him to an extension, I'm not sure I like giving up to two decent prospects to rent an outfielder for one year at $8 million, when we might have been able to go after Jermaine Dye at $5 million or Matt Clement at $8 million w/out giving anything up.

On another note, the Trib says if the Green trade goes down, we'll ship Hillenbrand to Toronto for reliever Adam Peterson--24 years old, high-90's heat w/ movement, a nasty slider and a change-up w/ some sink, pitched well in the AFL (15 k's in 12 innings), saw some action in Toronto late last year. AZ would not be picking up any of Hillenbrand's salary.

AZZenny

Reaction score
IMO Green is just not worth that kind of money. But then, neither is Gonzo, and you wonder if they'll try to sign him to a couple-year extension soon. All these former Moorad clients (yeah, the bloom is fading off that rose for me, I guess.)

Wonder what/who they're thinking about trading to Florida for Burnett. Ulp.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
The D-Backs have some good prospects in Conor Jackson and Carlos Quentin who should be ready 2006. Jackson may be ready sooner, since he played and did well in AFL. I'd hate to see them blocked by a someone overpaid and underperforming.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
schillingfan said:
The D-Backs have some good prospects in Conor Jackson and Carlos Quentin who should be ready 2006. Jackson may be ready sooner, since he played and did well in AFL. I'd hate to see them blocked by a someone overpaid and underperforming.

I doubt they will be for 2 reasons

1) Although it looks like they will give Terrero this year to prove himself (unless they get a good OF in the trade for Vazquez), if he doesn't perform 1 of our prospects could take over

2) Green can play 1B and he's pretty good defensively over there also

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

1) Although it looks like they will give Terrero this year to prove himself (unless they get a good OF in the trade for Vazquez), if he doesn't perform 1 of our prospects could take over

I would not be surprised if Carlos was playing some centerfield for the Diamondbacks down the road. This guy is a great athlete. I saw him play the UofA when he was at Stanford and he was a stud then and will only get better as he matures. I can't wait to see him playing in a Diamondback uniform.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

I agree - Green plays 1B for the D-Backs. For sure.

Maybe they can compromise at 9Mil. ext. for two more yrs.

Someone tell Green the cost of living out here in AZ is great. ;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
I dunno, I think Id rather play Green at RF and Tracy at 1st.

Ugh, having Tracy at first with his lack of power is depressing, I suppose the "power from the corners" will have to be provided by Glaus...

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Ugh, having Tracy at first with his lack of power is depressing, I suppose the "power from the corners" will have to be provided by Glaus...

Glaus at 3rd will more than make up for it (provided he's healthy). I never really bought into the "the guy playing defensively at x position must be a x hitter." As long as you have all the tools (average, power, whatever) coming from somewhere in the lineup (not necessarily saying we do), it shouldnt matter too much where they are in the field. I only care about the players defensive abilities at that position, not making sure their hitting "matches" it.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Glaus at 3rd will more than make up for it (provided he's healthy). I never really bought into the "the guy playing defensively at x position must be a x hitter." As long as you have all the tools (average, power, whatever) coming from somewhere in the lineup (not necessarily saying we do), it shouldnt matter too much where they are in the field. I only care about the players defensive abilities at that position, not making sure their hitting "matches" it.
Well, yes and no.

Once you have put a team together, it doesn't matter who plays where, so if you get more power from your 3B, it can offset lack of power from your first base.

However, if you are constructing a team, getting extra power from your 3rd base should mean that you end up with better offense, because why have a less than league average at a position like 1B, if you can get a better hitting player for the same amount of money? It ultimately becomes a waste of dollars. Of course if your 1B is making major league minimum, then it's not a big deal, but if you are paying a Shawn Green $9 mil to play first base when you could have a Carlos Delgado at the same money and he hits with considerably more power, then you are wasting money.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
schillingfan said:
Well, yes and no.

Once you have put a team together, it doesn't matter who plays where, so if you get more power from your 3B, it can offset lack of power from your first base.

However, if you are constructing a team, getting extra power from your 3rd base should mean that you end up with better offense, because why have a less than league average at a position like 1B, if you can get a better hitting player for the same amount of money? It ultimately becomes a waste of dollars. Of course if your 1B is making major league minimum, then it's not a big deal, but if you are paying a Shawn Green $9 mil to play first base when you could have a Carlos Delgado at the same money and he hits with considerably more power, then you are wasting money.

Is Delgado a FA? Also what right fielders besides Burnitz are out there for less?

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
WildBB said:
Is Delgado a FA? Also what right fielders besides Burnitz are out there for less?
Yep he is. As to other options, there usually are options. Green is a trade with a $17 mil salary. At $8 mil he is possibly palatable.

Just think, Vlad Guerrero was available last year for a lot less than Beltran is asking.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
schillingfan said:
Yep he is. As to other options, there usually are options. Green is a trade with a $17 mil salary. At $8 mil he is possibly palatable.

Just think, Vlad Guerrero was available last year for a lot less than Beltran is asking.

That still makes me ill, granted he had some back issues, but it was clear how dominant he was in Montreal...