Shipp is hurt

Phlegyas

Just win, baby
Reaction score
It was a bad injury, but at least it wasn't nearer to the season, so we have some good time to prepare the other running backs for playing time.

I hate that Shipp got injured, but at least we have Anderson, Scobey, and Croom to run the ball. That, my friends, is the only reason why I'm not tearing my hair out in frustration.

You know, when Shipp comes back, and if he helps carry us to the playoffs (and, dare I say, even the Super Bowl :cool: ), it will be one of those legendary feel-good stories. However, only time will tell what will happen to Shipp and the Cardinals.

:knocksonwood:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I cannot remember the last season that we have not lost a major player
to a significant injury (substantial time). Can anyone else?

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Croom will be the starter by week ocho. Gut feeling...

Or was that just gas? Hmmmm...

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Just got back from the Flagstaff and man let me tell you its raining hard. Anyway when shipp got injured he was screaming in pain. I was pissed since I knew Smith is the starter unless Scobey can have a breakout year. :bang: :computer:

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
knock on wood- DG was just quoted today saying how happy he was with the 0 injuries... good goin'!

I am very superstitious

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cards' Shipp dislocates ankle during scrimmage

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 7, 2004 12:00 AM

FLAGSTAFF - Marcel Shipp's scream of pain echoed through Northern Arizona's Walkup Skydome Friday night bringing to pass coach Dennis Green's greatest fear of scrimmaging on artificial turf.

The initial diagnosis is that Shipp, the backup running back to Emmitt Smith, suffered a dislocated left ankle and will miss eight to 12 weeks, Green said. It looked much worse than that.

"The kid is like a brother to me," said Smith, tears welling. "Watching him go down is like watching my little brother go down."

Just the day before, Green had noted the team had stayed healthy through the first week of camp, adding that he didn't like the idea of scrimmaging.

Shipp took a simple handoff, was hit and then bent back awkwardly over another player. His left foot pointed in an unnatural angle until the Cardinals medical team arrived and popped it back into place.

The crowd of about 4,500 hushed until Shipp was loaded on to a cart and driven off.

"It's the nature of football," Green said. "Fortunately, I don't think he's going to be on (injured reserve)."

With Shipp out, Damien Anderson and Josh Scobey will compete for the backup spot.

Nothing has come easy for Shipp since he entered the NFL. He wasn't drafted and made the Cardinals roster as a rookie free agent in 2001. He led the Cardinals in rushing the past two years and wasn't happy when Green named Smith the starter earlier this summer.

But he didn't complain and continued to work hard.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/04cardscamp/0807shipp0807.html

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
Dude, I was thinking the same thing. Someone has to step up. He didn't get a touch tonight though, or did he?

I dunno...I got a phone call the moment the scrimmage came on, but he was looking good in camp. Still, Green has decided he's doing well...

Cardinals | Anderson Moves into No. 2 Role - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:59:57 -0700

The Associated Press reports Arizona Cardinals RB Damien Anderson moves up the depth chart into the No. 2 RB position due to RB Marcel Shipp (ankle) being out 8-12 weeks.

So it begins...

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
The thing that worries me is what problem I have. I sprained my ankle really bad about 25 years ago and it doesn't take much to remind me of it, even today. Wonder if the same happens with a dis-located ankle. Every time I run hard or have the slightest twist, I come up limping. Hope Shipp's injury doesn't affect him that way once it heals!!!!!! :hulk:

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
All NFL teams experience injuries in the pre-season. If you had to pick something positive- luckily this injury was very early in the pre-season. The Cardinals have an early bye week during the regular season so its still possible we will still have Marcel Shipp available for about 10 games during the season (keeping fingers crossed).
This will give the Cardinals a chance to take a long look at Josh Scobey (who I like a lot a lot with his home-run speed) and Damien Anderson who always seemed to play well when he got to play the last 2 seasons.

Co Cards/ America!
Tim

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I remember, some years ago, MOISES ALOU - dislocating his ankle going into second base. The replay was sickening, and one had a hard time believing he'd ever be back. If I remember correctly; he was out a few months... and the career continues to flourish.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That really sucks! Not goodnews to wake up to at all! :mad:

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
No kidding. Terrible news. Well, I guess we'll see what D. Anderson is made of. :(

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
Damien Anderson has always looked good.

Remember that Carolina game?

Since then, he's never got another shot ... till now.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Shane H said:
That really sucks! Not goodnews to wake up to at all! :mad:

Shouldn't have changed your avatar Shane.....he got demoted, then got injured.... :trout: j/k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05