Shouldn't we try to keep Sullivan?!

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As mentioned on this board Sullivan is looking to land on another team as receivers coach. I would pay a very big premium for him to stay with us. I do think he is the best receivers coach in the game. I like Green as our new head coach but I think he'll be loyal to people he knows well at the detriment of some good position coaches out there. I hope he really takes a look at Sullivan!!!

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
I just don't see the love for Sullivan. He gave us Gilmore and McAddly. Where are the young WR he coached.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Sully's a great WR coach, but I question some of his decisions as far as personnel (i.e. Foster, Gilmore, McAddley). I think it's probably best for both parties if he moves on.

TMcgoni

Reaction score
Shouldn't we be trying to keep Tyke Tolbert. I mean he was the wr coach this year and if I'm not mistaken, he was the one who pleaded for the team to pick Boldin. That seemed to turn out alright.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rowland Price
I just don't see the love for Sullivan. He gave us Gilmore and McAddly. Where are the young WR he coached.

He was also the WR coach who developed David Boston in AZ, and Johnnie Morton, Germaine Crowell, and Herman Moore in Detroit. He has done a great job of developing young WRs. Having said that, I don't think he would come back even if the job is offered and it's the highest paying gig out there. How much did he regret turning down Dallas' offer last year to be Parcells' WR coach? Fool me once...

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lrk27 is exactly right. Sullivan developed all of those WRs. The guy knows his stuff. He is easily the most enjoyable coach to watch work as well!

He is easily the best WR coach in football. We would be sill yto not at least try and bring him back in that capacity. Whether or not he chooses to accpet the position is another story altogether!

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think he has to be the one to say who is going to be the receivers he just has to teach them. Let someone else pick which receivers stay and go.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don't see the love for Sullivan. He gave us Gilmore and McAddly
I'm not positive but I think McGinnis drafted McAddley after coaching him at the Senior Bowl and Sullivan signed on after that - and that Gilmore was an UDFA the year before McAddley was drafted.

I'd love to have Sullivan back coaching WR's.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
I just don't see the love for Sullivan. He gave us Gilmore and McAddly
I'm not positive but I think McGinnis drafted McAddley after coaching him at the Senior Bowl and Sullivan signed on after that - and that Gilmore was an UDFA the year before McAddley was drafted.

I'd love to have Sullivan back coaching WR's.

Sullivan was one of the reasons we drafted McAddley. Sullivan coached him at the Senior Bowl, and he thought that McAddley improved a lot in the little time he worked with him.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by lrk27
He was also the WR coach who developed David Boston in AZ, and Johnnie Morton, Germaine Crowell, and Herman Moore in Detroit. He has done a great job of developing young WRs.

lrk27:

Yeah, but what's he done lately? Supposedly, one of the Cardinals scouts predicted that Anquan Boldin would be ROY early in training camp (during his first practice?), so it's hard to credit Jerry Sullivan for Boldin's first-year performance, particularly since Tyke Tolbert was the receivers coach of record in 2003. And if Sullivan was the primary reason that the Cards stood pat with their untested corps of WRs going into this season, instead of signing a proven veteran or two, that's reason enough to let him walk.

Based on the success of the Vikings' passing game during Dennis Green's tenure there, regardless of who was throwing the ball, I'm willing to trust in Green's judgment regarding who's gonna coach up his wideouts.

WC

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I think a housecleaning is necessary, even if it means parting ways with one of my favorite assistant coaches of recent years.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
lrk27:

Yeah, but what's he done lately? Supposedly, one of the Cardinals scouts predicted that Anquan Boldin would be ROY early in training camp (during his first practice?), so it's hard to credit Jerry Sullivan for Boldin's first-year performance, particularly since Tyke Tolbert was the receivers coach of record in 2003. And if Sullivan was the primary reason that the Cards stood pat with their untested corps of WRs going into this season, instead of signing a proven veteran or two, that's reason enough to let him walk.

Based on the success of the Vikings' passing game during Dennis Green's tenure there, regardless of who was throwing the ball, I'm willing to trust in Green's judgment regarding who's gonna coach up his wideouts.

WC

I'm not saying that he should be back, or that he shouldn't. I'm just pointing out that he is a very successful teacher of WRs. He gets minimal credit for Anquan because he wasn't WR coach, and should get minimal blame for BJ's lack of success. It's true, he did not want to bring in veteran WRs last year, and I will agree he may not be suited to make personnel decisions. But you look at 2002 when they lost Boston, Jenkins, Gilmore and Sanders to injury, and he did a pretty good job at developing the guys he had to work with. His coaching duties were limited last year, but you can't argue with the fact that when he was given the authority to teach WRs, he did it as well as anyone. And again, having said that, I don't think he comes back. He is a great teacher, but a below average OC, and I don't think Denny Green wants any of the former coaches back.

CardsRep03

Registered
Reaction score
I think Cardinal Chris is right on this one. I'd love to have Sully back again--HE could develop players. I just think that once the housecleaning is done, it's done....and that's that with that--(line from that new show on ABC, Line of Fire) ALL the coaches will be new. Watch Denny rehire him and make me look like a goof--but I'd be a smilin' goof none the less, lever the ness, oh, just forget it.

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
Rehire Sully?

PICTURE THIS:

Denny Green in training camp: This year guys we will get our heads out of our &%# and manage to get the plays in on time, and we won't run the same set of plays three series in a row... sorry if I stepped on your toes there Sully. And if our RT jumps offsides four times in one game I'm going to bench his over-priced butt, unlike last years coachs... oops, forgot you were here Sully. Gilmore, the last administration would start you no matter how little you produce or how many passes you drop but I'll run you out of here.... hope I didn't throw you under the bus there Sully!

I mean even if Sully is a good WR couch, it might be better to get the old guys out of there.

Shuesters

Harpo

All Hail the New Regime!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shuesters2
Rehire Sully?

PICTURE THIS:

Denny Green in training camp: This year guys we will get our heads out of our &%# and manage to get the plays in on time, and we won't run the same set of plays three series in a row... sorry if I stepped on your toes there Sully. And if our RT jumps offsides four times in one game I'm going to bench his over-priced butt, unlike last years coachs... oops, forgot you were here Sully. Gilmore, the last administration would start you no matter how little you produce or how many passes you drop but I'll run you out of here.... hope I didn't throw you under the bus there Sully!

I mean even if Sully is a good WR couch, it might be better to get the old guys out of there.

Shuesters

That is a great post!!!!!!!!!

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it should be Green's decision.

If, Sully still wants to be here in Az.

I don't see the hype though.

Most of his successes were high round draft picks anyways.
With the exception of Martay, he did work for us a couple of seasons ago but hasn't made an NFL roster since.

Gilmore, Foster, Jason M.???
I wouldn't recommend that he use them on his resume.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jasper
I think it should be Green's decision.

If, Sully still wants to be here in Az.

I don't see the hype though.

Most of his successes were high round draft picks anyways.
With the exception of Martay, he did work for us a couple of seasons ago but hasn't made an NFL roster since.

Gilmore, Foster, Jason M.???
I wouldn't recommend that he use them on his resume.

When you have Herman Moore, Germaine Crowell, Johnnie Morton, and David Boston on your resume you dont need to put the others on there.

The guy can flat out coach. Have you ever watched him?

Oh and just out of curiosity anyone know wehn Crowell and Morton were drafted?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Objective: Improve our play at WR.

Strategies:

1. Get better receivers.

2. Also continue to develop the ones we've got.

3. Bring in an assistant coach who's good at developing receivers.

Applying "zero-based budgeting" to hiring assistant coaches, I think Sully is the best available receivers coach out there.

So why not rehire him if he's willing to come back?

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
We have a problem with some players on this team who are more interested in collecting a paycheck than playing winni9ng football. This is a sickness that started somewhere and needs to be cut out, which is the job of the new staff. If these players have someone on the staff who they feel like they can cry to about the new way things are being done, then Green will have been undermined from the get go.

In this case it is more important to ensure that any coach who could have fostered these attitudes is gone, than any potential benefits we would recieve from retaining one of the old coaches.