Shout out on D McNabb

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
They mentioned he was all smiles heading into the 2nd half even though his team was down 24-6. Is that a good thing or part of his problem?
It's hard to say. I don't think he is uncaring but the mental part of his game is obviously part of the problem when you look at how he has a dropoff in big games. I admire him for being able to take a Shaq-like approach to all of the negativity and criticism but his focus has to be a question mark with his history of game-breaking mistakes.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
I mean you need confidence, but you'd think a QB in that situation wouldn't be all smiles and the comment struck me strangely. You'd think he'd just have a serious look on his face and not a smile. Like Kurt Warner had before the final drive. It was all business and you could tell it was by his expression. I don't think it's over confidence, but maybe just not the right mindest to have for the situation. :confused:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean you need confidence, but you'd think a QB in that situation wouldn't be all smiles and the comment struck me strangely. You'd think he'd just have a serious look on his face and not a smile. Like Kurt Warner had before the final drive. It was all business and you could tell it was by his expression. I don't think it's over confidence, but maybe just not the right mindest to have for the situation. :confused:

at the 8 yard-line, down 3 points with a little over two minutes left in the Super Bowl against the Bengals, Joe Montana walked up to the huddle, then looked up into the stands, smiled and said "oh my God. That's John Candy up there!" Everone in that huddle said the fact that Joe had zero worry whatsoever is what drove them down the field.

besides, he was smiling when they were down 24-6... and then he led them to 19 straight points. I'd say whatever he was doing right after he smiled down 24-6 was working.

different strokes for different folks.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
at the 8 yard-line, down 3 points with a little over two minutes left in the Super Bowl against the Bengals, Joe Montana walked up to the huddle, then looked up into the stands, smiled and said "oh my God. That's John Candy up there!" Everone in that huddle said the fact that Joe had zero worry whatsoever is what drove them down the field.

besides, he was smiling when they were down 24-6... and then he led them to 19 straight points. I'd say whatever he was doing right after he smiled down 24-6 was working.

different strokes for different folks.
True, maybe he's just not a clutch QB then? Maybe he just doesn't have the ability to guide a team in that situation?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, maybe he's just not a clutch QB then? Maybe he just doesn't have the ability to guide a team in that situation?

eh, he threw a strike on 4th and 10 that his WR just flat out dropped and he's took those Eagle teams back in the day to, what? 4 NFC Title games, even though he never had much of any talent on his side of the ball. dude's pretty damn good... just not Elway, Montana Super Bowl MVP good... but then again, not many are.

I mean, he pulled off a 4th and 26 in the playoffs in order to beat GB back in 2005. You won't see a better/more clutch play than that.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I hope he leaves Philly. The old addage holds true here: Be careful what you wish for.

Eagles sans McNabb= perrenial last place finish. I'd bet soup to nuts that Philly fans are begging to drop McNabb for Matt "Scott Mitchell" Cassel.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
eh, he threw a strike on 4th and 10 that his WR just flat out dropped and he's took those Eagle teams back in the day to, what? 4 NFC Title games, even though he never had much of any talent on his side of the ball. dude's pretty damn good... just not Elway, Montana Super Bowl MVP good... but then again, not many are.

I mean, he pulled off a 4th and 26 in the playoffs in order to beat GB back in 2005. You won't see a better/more clutch play than that.
He's had great defense and Brian Westbrook tho. He comes through sometimes, but more times than not he's going to throw the incompletion in the clutch. I'm not totally knocking him, but if the games on the line he's not really the QB I want out there. JMO

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
I hope he leaves Philly. The old addage holds true here: Be careful what you wish for.

Eagles sans McNabb= perrenial last place finish. I'd bet soup to nuts that Philly fans are begging to drop McNabb for Matt "Scott Mitchell" Cassel.
Last place in the NFC East this year is still pretty fair! I agree with what you said tho. ;)

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think that's a gross underestimation of the team and specifically the defense. Garcia and AJ Feely both showed that they cold win games so it may not be hard to find a QB to step in and play well in that system.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Reid's misuse of timeouts should be getting called into question far before McNabb is villainized. But that won't happen, because that sloppy **** just LOOKS like he belongs in Philthy.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
I think that's a gross underestimation of the team and specifically the defense. Garcia and AJ Feely both showed that they cold win games so it may not be hard to find a QB to step in and play well in that system.
Jeff Garcia is a heck of a QB. I'm not so sure about Feely, but he's been good at times as well. I agree with what you're saying, but look at the NFC East. That's one of the best divisions in football.