Sighting

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
I flew this weekend from Phoenix to San Diego.

Right as the plan landed and everyone stood up to exit the plane, my wife says to me, "hey, did that guy use to play for the Suns." I looked, and it was Tom Gugliotta.

Tom was with some girl, not sure if it was his wife or girlfriend. But the two of them were not even flying first class. I wanted to ask him some questions, but felt uncomfortable doing so.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
I know that I'm not the greatest story teller-and It's pretty boring. Just thought I would share a sighting.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
I see Googs a lot, for some reason. I saw him most recently at a Jamba juice in central Phoenix. He drove a brand new red mustang with fancy rims. I saw him another time at the McCormick train park. Very friendly, a bit shy even. My sense is that he comes back here because this is where his ex-wife still lives with their daughter.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have to admit, I've very surprised they weren't flying first class. I'm only 6' 1", but for me to fit into those tiny coach seats is torture. If I had the money, I would fly first class all the time. Screw the free champagne or extra movies -- I would do it just to get a decent-sized chair.

I've seen Tom Chambers and Lisa Leslie in airports (not together), but I didn't approach either of them.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
My favorite sighting was when I was about 12 years old. Charles Barkley lives pretty close to my parent's house so we see him around in different stores now and again.

One time I went to the local subway with a couple of my friends. The 3 of us were sitting down eating our food when the Chuckster walked in. He was joking around with the guys behind the counter for a while. He got his sub to go and looked like he was about to walk out the door when all of a sudden he came over to our table and asked if he could eat with us.

We were all sorts of nervous for the first few minutes, but he would just telling jokes everyone loosend up. After we all finished eating he signed all of our hats. It was absolutely amazing, and is by far my favorite childhood memory.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I have to admit, I've very surprised they weren't flying first class. I'm only 6' 1", but for me to fit into those tiny coach seats is torture. If I had the money, I would fly first class all the time. Screw the free champagne or extra movies -- I would do it just to get a decent-sized chair.

Which makes me think Googs might be a pretty humble and down to earth guy. Either that, or his wife took him to the cleaners.....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Which makes me think Googs might be a pretty humble and down to earth guy.

Or his knee is in so much constant pain that being in a cramped seat doesn't really make any difference... :shrug:

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
My favorite sighting story was from the old Rivals Board that eventually evolved into this one. There was a nutjob that went by TC who claimed to have showered with Tom Chambers.

As for my only Suns sighting: I ran into Sir Charles at the airport a while back. He disproved the old wives tale that the camera adds 10 pounds. If anything, he looked thinner on camera than in person. I would not be shocked if you told me that he affects the tides when he moves from one part of the country to another.

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Neo said:
My favorite sighting story was from the old Rivals Board that eventually evolved into this one. There was a nutjob that went by TC who claimed to have showered with Tom Chambers. I ran into Sir Charles at the airport a while back. He disproved the old wives tale that the camera adds 10 pounds. If anything, he looked thinner on camera than in person. I would not be shocked if you told me that he affects the tides when he moves from one part of the country to another.

What does TC showering with TC have to do with Charles' weight? I was so intrigued but then you lost me :confused:

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Which makes me think Googs might be a pretty humble and down to earth guy.

Or his knee is in so much constant pain that being in a cramped seat doesn't really make any difference... :shrug:

Vos who sos to say to me?

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
In related (or not) news, I ran into Alex Cintron at the BMW dealer today, while buying parts for my cars. Something tells me he was buying a new one rather than fixing one like me... :)

OP
OP
D

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I've seen Tom Chambers and Lisa Leslie in airports (not together), but I didn't approach either of them.

The flight was on America West; for some reason AM West seems to have better leg room then other airplanes like Southwest. Anyways, it kind of shocked me too that he was not on first class.

Maybe Randy Livingston was on the same plane sitting in first class, and Tom didn't want to take any chances. :shrug:

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
I saw Danny Ainge at Seven Eleven, corner of Gilbert and Houston (between Baseline and Guadalupe). That was probably 2001. He was actually pumping gass for his crappy mo ped. It was bit odd since he was actually riding such a thing. He seems to have problem with the bike. My wife was telling me to go talk to him but he seemed bit pissed so I didn't. I wonder if he lived around there...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CHAPTER 7 said:
I saw Danny Ainge at Seven Eleven, corner of Gilbert and Houston (between Baseline and Guadalupe). That was probably 2001. He was actually pumping gass for his crappy mo ped. It was bit odd since he was actually riding such a thing. He seems to have problem with the bike. My wife was telling me to go talk to him but he seemed bit pissed so I didn't. I wonder if he lived around there...

He lives just east of Houston and Gilbert. I used to live in that neighborhood. he lives near the Junior high in there.

Dan Majerle owned a house in there two doors down but he never lived in it because he got traded. He let Charles Barkley live there until he found a house. (This is all the crap a real estate agent told me) I used to see Ainge and his kids at Sam's club all the time

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad had a coffeehouse at 3rd st. and Mill Avenue in Tempe. When I was a lot younger (10-14 years) I got haircuts at the salon upstairs because one woman that worked there would do it for (numerical value of my age) dollars + some kind of espresso drink. One of her other clients was Tom Chambers. One afternoon I was sitting outside and I saw Tom Chambers go upstairs to get a haircut. I was not around long enough to see how his haircut turned out.

damo

Registered
Reaction score
not from the suns, but something i'll never forget, being that i live in new zealand. i spent a summer a couple of years ago working at a summer camp in southern california, and james worthy's kids were there. he came when they were dropped off, and i talked to him for a while, told him he's more than welcome to crash on the couch if he's ever in new zealand. later in the summer brad daugherty (spelling?) dropped off his kids and chatted to him too. good times for a kid from nz.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CHAPTER 7 said:
I am not sure why exactly but this had me laughing my ass off, just imagening anyone over 6'0'' riding a mo-ped and being pissed at it, especially someone as goofy looking as Ainge

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
Dr. Dumas said:
The flight was on America West; for some reason AM West seems to have better leg room then other airplanes like Southwest. Anyways, it kind of shocked me too that he was not on first class.

Maybe Randy Livingston was on the same plane sitting in first class, and Tom didn't want to take any chances. :shrug:

Not entirely on topic but since we're talking about basketball player sightings.

Since I work at the airport here at CT, being near the Basketball HOF, I saw my share of basketball players/coaches.

Saw Clyde Drexler and George Gervin a couple of times. Also saw Mike Fratello (of all people!) a couple days ago I think for the enshrining of either Hubie Brown or Jim Calhoun.

And my favorite: Manute Bol checking in for a Southwest Airlines flight!

Still don't know how he managed to fit in those seats! LOL

HooverDam

Reaction score
I once saw Jeff Hornaceck in PV Mall, I was pretty young (this was right after the Barkley trade), I was too shy to talk to him, but my dad went up and got me his autograph. I also saw Louis Gonzalez at PV mall, with his hot wife, pushing their triplets, that guy is quite tall (or he seemed to be from my sitting down position).

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a phone interview with Googs back in my AZProSports/Arizona Sports Gazette days...

:D

Mike

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
My favorite sighting was when I was about 12 years old. Charles Barkley lives pretty close to my parent's house so we see him around in different stores now and again.

One time I went to the local subway with a couple of my friends. The 3 of us were sitting down eating our food when the Chuckster walked in. He was joking around with the guys behind the counter for a while. He got his sub to go and looked like he was about to walk out the door when all of a sudden he came over to our table and asked if he could eat with us.

We were all sorts of nervous for the first few minutes, but he would just telling jokes everyone loosend up. After we all finished eating he signed all of our hats. It was absolutely amazing, and is by far my favorite childhood memory.

Come on Andy we all like you. You don't need to make this stuff up to make friends. :)

Neo said:
My favorite sighting story was from the old Rivals Board that eventually evolved into this one. There was a nutjob that went by TC who claimed to have showered with Tom Chambers.

I remember that guy. He was hilarious.

CHAPTER 7 said:

I never saw Danny Ainge there, but my first apartment was directly behind that 7-11. Many a morning I stumbled down the stairs and over there for some Gatorade.

Ainge's daughter married a guy a friend from high school. Of course I haven't seen him in about five years.

I joked around for a few minutes with Alvin Adams and Neal Walk at a Phoenix Suns game a couple years ago. That's all I've got.

Joe Mama

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake