Since our season has gone "up in smoke...."

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Believe me this is hard for me to post but it has come to this. We need guys who can help us win now and I have identified a player who can be had and will help us win next year. But is I controversial one….Let me start by taking care of our other two needs to compete: A young QB and some Oline help:

In my mind it is a forgone conclusion that we acquire a young QB with our first pick. I am all for trading up to get Lienert provided the asking price is not ridiculous. I think we will end up getting a top 5 pick when it is all said and done b/c im positive we will lose at least one of those two games against Houston and SF if not both. We will get killed by Philly, NY and Indy and I think Washington will beat us too. In my mind the teams that will be ahead of us at the end are NY, Houston, NO, and depending on the outcome of that game SF. I think Houston, NY and SF all draft Bush with their pick with only NO being a likely Lienert team. If a team is going to trade out of the number two spot it will likely be only as far back as 5 so they can still get a playmaker. I forsee a scenario that Houston or SF trade back with us to get Ferguson if they lose out on Bush while picking up an extra pick. Im not sure what other QB will rise up the board by April but im thinking if Brady Quinn stays in school, getting a QB of the future should happen in the second round.

Offensive line men like Steve Hutchinson and Runyan should be targeted and thrown the boat load of our cap at. Then with whatever money needed to get Alex Gibbs to coach closer to home it needs to happen. No PR moves, just good ol fashioned building through the inside-out. These kind of moves will show us to be serious about improving going into the new stadium.

We still need a MLB and a DT and maybe a couple more secondary players, but I really think we can win next year even with the current group. I think a lot of their struggles this year result from Clancy getting cute and constantly having to pick up the offense. It seems like when the team had needed a stop they usually get it. Its just the stop after that and after that that seem to get away….

So what is my move that puts us over the top????

Trade for Ricky Williams:

I admit it will be hard to do as Ricky is a rarity in the NFL. Low Pay-high production that Miami would like to hold on provided he keeps producing. BUT Saban knows they need draft picks and talent so I have a scenario that will work for both teams.

We trade: BJ and a third round pick

Miami trades: Ricky and 6th round pick

Many will think its foolhardy to rely on Ricky and I agree to an extent. But the risk is so low that its stupid not to take the chance. Heres why:

1) We have JJ: Im excited about what he has done over the last few games and I think he can be a feature back if given the carries. I also know he is smallish and they are worried about the pounding he can take. Ricky is the perfect complement. And if Williams burns out, we are not SOL.

2) He doesn’t need a line: In a perfect world, the Cardinals will completely fortify their o line this off season but lets be honest. This is the Cardinals. I live in Miami and while I like Scott Linehan, his offensive line has NO talent. They are less talented than us in fact. But Ricky (and Ronnie) break tackles and are work horses and it doesn’t seem to matter. Ricky will rush for a 1000 yards behind this years line and if we improve it, he might get back to his 1500 yard level. At least there is a precedent.

3)This is the perfect team for him: Ricky quit football for another reason besides his love of herb. Wannstedt ran him into the ground and Ricky was none to happy about it. Now he realizes he needs the money more than he thought and Arizona has cap room should he excel. He can split the carries with JJ, take less of a pounding, and enjoy the “benefits” of California’s proximity and UPS delivery. Lets face it guys. I guarantee you half the current Cardinals team partakes in some extracurricular activity when it comes to the psychotropes. Ricky just admitted it. All reports our he is more professional and business like and we could reap the benefits. Cant you see it now: Ricky and the Cardinals resurrect their image together.

4) This is the perfect team for him part 2: Kurt Warner is a GREAT locker room guy and he will provide the vet leadership Ricky lacks. He will keep guys in line and focused and it will be much more pronounced effect once we start to string wins together. This team just has no confidence right now.

Denny is the perfect coach for this as well. Anyone remember a guy named Randy Moss? Well he had some issues with the herb and Denny was the guy who took a chance on him. And for the most part Denny kept him in line. I think it would be similar with Ricky. This is just the kind of project boom or bust move Denny’s ego needs.

So get it done boys. It makes too much sense. The worst case scenario is Ricky falls off the wagon again and then you cut him. No real cap hit, no real issue, hes getting his chance and he better take advantage of it. Best case scenario. Well after an offseason of working out, I think Rick can be a top 5 back again. Especially with the year off and reduced load this year, its like we are getting a new back. The possibilities are limitless.

I know I can already see the posts. Bill Bidwill will never bring in a guy like that. Well to counter Mike Pittman got like 5 chances while he was here, Jamir Miller off the bat was a problem, Heck one time they wanted to bring in an idiot like Ricky Watters. Even if he has reservations, Bill has to acknowledge that the old way just ain’t working. Hes progressing slowly with the roster bonuses and new unis but now its time to take a big step forward. Get Ricky Williams……..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Ricky and for the right deal I'd do it. The thing is you have to get protections in the trade that if Ricky retired again, or got suspended, you get something back in return from Miami. I'm not sure they'd do that but you'd be crazy to give them market value with no protection.

Remember before the draft Ricky said he wanted to be a Cardinal.

I thought you were going to suggest Darrell Russell or something crazy, Ricky to me is not that wild a suggestion.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I like Ricky and for the right deal I'd do it. The thing is you have to get protections in the trade that if Ricky retired again, or got suspended, you get something back in return from Miami. I'm not sure they'd do that but you'd be crazy to give them market value with no protection.

Remember before the draft Ricky said he wanted to be a Cardinal.

I thought you were going to suggest Darrell Russell or something crazy, Ricky to me is not that wild a suggestion.

Ricky Williams might work out here, less scrutiny, new stadium, head coach who's had experience handling guys no one else wanted.

It's a smart move if we protect ourselves and honestly, who's going to be stupid enough to give up much for a guy who quit football? Please tell me not that many.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Ricky. I don't want him on my team. I wouldn't cry if he were here, but I wouldn't look at him as any sort of savior either. He's only slightly less crazy than TO, and not the best player at his position like TO is. All the crazy, half the talent.

I do want D'Brickashaw Fergueson though, a great deal. Perhaps he'll slide down to us.

seesred

Reaction score
I hate the idea of RW coming here. You don't know what you're going to get. He is a player that can make or BREAK a team. IMO we are on the rise dispite the record. I too want to see JJ play more now through season end and get 20+ carries. I know I won't see our 2006 O-line till next year. Corners we are in great shape with Machlin, Rolle , Green etc. Safetys Wilson, Shazor, and ? we need some depth. LB's Looks to be solid when healthy like any other team. Hayes, Blackstock,Dansby, Darling (led team in tackles yesterday) Huff etc. Tackles Dockett and ? De -Chike and Berry, maybe Pace.

O-line ??????Wells, Leckey,Ross ???? RB, JJ, ??????. TE Bergan, Edwards...
WR the cream of the team..Fritz, Bolden, Johnson, McCoy.

Player, Racks and upgrades at depth for ST.

QB Warner Navarre ??????

GBR

Looking foward now to next weeks game our team will be exciting to watch the next few yearsand if built right years to come.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
seesred said:
I hate the idea of RW coming here. You don't know what you're going to get. He is a player that can make or BREAK a team. IMO we are on the rise dispite the record. I too want to see JJ play more now through season end and get 20+ carries. I know I won't see our 2006 O-line till next year. Corners we are in great shape with Machlin, Rolle , Green etc. Safetys Wilson, Shazor, and ? we need some depth. LB's Looks to be solid when healthy like any other team. Hayes, Blackstock,Dansby, Darling (led team in tackles yesterday) Huff etc. Tackles Dockett and ? De -Chike and Berry, maybe Pace.

O-line ??????Wells, Leckey,Ross ???? RB, JJ, ??????. TE Bergan, Edwards...
WR the cream of the team..Fritz, Bolden, Johnson, McCoy.

Player, Racks and upgrades at depth for ST.

QB Warner Navarre ??????

GBR

Looking foward now to next weeks game our team will be exciting to watch the next few yearsand if built right years to come.

You are missing the point. The only reason Ricky was allowed to "break" the dolphins was because everything was centered around him. Im not advocating that. In fact i am not willing to give up more than i stated in my offer. It is a high risk (no pun intended) but the Cardinals can protect themselves. Like i said we have JJ, the trade would not require as much (although his value is going up) because of that risk you speak of and the returns would be huge. Better than dropping a boatload of cash on question mark Jamal Lewis or killing your cap on the chance Alexander and EJ can play hard for 5 more years. With Ricky we can win next year and the cost is minimal. If he acts up (and BTW dont believe everything you read. All i have heard out here is that he seems to be focused and much more of a team guy now. People do learn from mistakes.) then cut him. we still have JJ and the immortal James Jackson.....

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I thought you were going to suggest Darrell Russell or something crazy

No if that was the case i would have entitled the thread "Takin it "E"-asy":D

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
we have shipp and arrington. we dont need ricky. like everything you had to say up to that point. we have our thunder and lightning combo in these guys

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
redheat said:
we have shipp and arrington. we dont need ricky. like everything you had to say up to that point. we have our thunder and lightning combo in these guys

Shipp is gone IMHO. He will make 1.425 million next year in the last year of his contract. I guess no compelling reason to cut him loose, you could extend him and cut that cap figure, but given how he's played the last 5-6 games I'd be surprised if he's back.

I guess given the injury he had last year we could bring him back hoping in year 2 of recovery he'll be closer to his old self but I think considering it appears he'll go another season without a rushing TD, it's going to be hard to justify paying him 1.425 million to be the thunder in our backfield.

Another guy I'm fine with keeping just at a lower salary.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
NO MORE RB'S!!!

JJ is the answer. Lets get a line and a rookie QB. A DT, MLB and FS.

and what happens if JJ is injured? You need quality depth. Shipp is a goner, Jackson is garbage and then what?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeAngelo Williams will be mighty hard to pass up if he's there. Mighty hard.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:

Agreed, with all the focus on Bush he's getting overlooked.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
phillycard said:
:eek: I don't remember that at all Russ! When did he say that??

The year he was drafted, 1998, we were good and had 2 picks. Ricky came out and said he liked us and wanted to play here.

We're not good now but at least at one time, he indicated interest in playing here.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Believe me this is hard for me to post but it has come to this. We need guys who can help us win now and I have identified a player who can be had and will help us win next year. But is I controversial one….Let me start by taking care of our other two needs to compete: A young QB and some Oline help:

In my mind it is a forgone conclusion that we acquire a young QB with our first pick. I am all for trading up to get Lienert provided the asking price is not ridiculous. I think we will end up getting a top 5 pick when it is all said and done b/c im positive we will lose at least one of those two games against Houston and SF if not both. We will get killed by Philly, NY and Indy and I think Washington will beat us too. In my mind the teams that will be ahead of us at the end are NY, Houston, NO, and depending on the outcome of that game SF. I think Houston, NY and SF all draft Bush with their pick with only NO being a likely Lienert team. If a team is going to trade out of the number two spot it will likely be only as far back as 5 so they can still get a playmaker. I forsee a scenario that Houston or SF trade back with us to get Ferguson if they lose out on Bush while picking up an extra pick. Im not sure what other QB will rise up the board by April but im thinking if Brady Quinn stays in school, getting a QB of the future should happen in the second round.

Offensive line men like Steve Hutchinson and Runyan should be targeted and thrown the boat load of our cap at. Then with whatever money needed to get Alex Gibbs to coach closer to home it needs to happen. No PR moves, just good ol fashioned building through the inside-out. These kind of moves will show us to be serious about improving going into the new stadium.

We still need a MLB and a DT and maybe a couple more secondary players, but I really think we can win next year even with the current group. I think a lot of their struggles this year result from Clancy getting cute and constantly having to pick up the offense. It seems like when the team had needed a stop they usually get it. Its just the stop after that and after that that seem to get away….

So what is my move that puts us over the top????

Trade for Ricky Williams:

I admit it will be hard to do as Ricky is a rarity in the NFL. Low Pay-high production that Miami would like to hold on provided he keeps producing. BUT Saban knows they need draft picks and talent so I have a scenario that will work for both teams.

We trade: BJ and a third round pick

Miami trades: Ricky and 6th round pick

Many will think its foolhardy to rely on Ricky and I agree to an extent. But the risk is so low that its stupid not to take the chance. Heres why:

1) We have JJ: Im excited about what he has done over the last few games and I think he can be a feature back if given the carries. I also know he is smallish and they are worried about the pounding he can take. Ricky is the perfect complement. And if Williams burns out, we are not SOL.

2) He doesn’t need a line: In a perfect world, the Cardinals will completely fortify their o line this off season but lets be honest. This is the Cardinals. I live in Miami and while I like Scott Linehan, his offensive line has NO talent. They are less talented than us in fact. But Ricky (and Ronnie) break tackles and are work horses and it doesn’t seem to matter. Ricky will rush for a 1000 yards behind this years line and if we improve it, he might get back to his 1500 yard level. At least there is a precedent.

3)This is the perfect team for him: Ricky quit football for another reason besides his love of herb. Wannstedt ran him into the ground and Ricky was none to happy about it. Now he realizes he needs the money more than he thought and Arizona has cap room should he excel. He can split the carries with JJ, take less of a pounding, and enjoy the “benefits” of California’s proximity and UPS delivery. Lets face it guys. I guarantee you half the current Cardinals team partakes in some extracurricular activity when it comes to the psychotropes. Ricky just admitted it. All reports our he is more professional and business like and we could reap the benefits. Cant you see it now: Ricky and the Cardinals resurrect their image together.

4) This is the perfect team for him part 2: Kurt Warner is a GREAT locker room guy and he will provide the vet leadership Ricky lacks. He will keep guys in line and focused and it will be much more pronounced effect once we start to string wins together. This team just has no confidence right now.

Denny is the perfect coach for this as well. Anyone remember a guy named Randy Moss? Well he had some issues with the herb and Denny was the guy who took a chance on him. And for the most part Denny kept him in line. I think it would be similar with Ricky. This is just the kind of project boom or bust move Denny’s ego needs.

So get it done boys. It makes too much sense. The worst case scenario is Ricky falls off the wagon again and then you cut him. No real cap hit, no real issue, hes getting his chance and he better take advantage of it. Best case scenario. Well after an offseason of working out, I think Rick can be a top 5 back again. Especially with the year off and reduced load this year, its like we are getting a new back. The possibilities are limitless.

I know I can already see the posts. Bill Bidwill will never bring in a guy like that. Well to counter Mike Pittman got like 5 chances while he was here, Jamir Miller off the bat was a problem, Heck one time they wanted to bring in an idiot like Ricky Watters. Even if he has reservations, Bill has to acknowledge that the old way just ain’t working. Hes progressing slowly with the roster bonuses and new unis but now its time to take a big step forward. Get Ricky Williams……..

You have it right about Mr. Bidwill. He is old school and has no use for guys like Ricky Williams so do not look to get him even if it was for a min salary.

VinceBlack

Reaction score
Ricky may be a problem for the team because he is extremely volatile and wierd, but Shipp and Arrington are no where near the back that Ricky is.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
redheat said:

We have Shipp and Arrington but we sure need someone a lot better than them. They do not strike fear into the hearts of anyone. I am not worried about getting Williams as Mr. B. would veto that in a NY minute. We need a big RB of the Mike Alstodt or Ron Dayne type who is going to get you yardage on nearly every carry. Especially near the goal line. Our backs are just to small to push the defense back when there is no hole. You rarely stop Alstodt, The Bus or a Ron Dayne from making a couple of yards.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pariah said:

I do not know how big DeAngelo is but I hope he is bigger than the two guys we have now. He gets a lot of good press but so did JJ and so far he has not lived up to it. A good RB if not injured is going to have some big games in a season. So far we have not had one 100 yd running season period. RB's are one breed that arrive in the NFL ready to play. Their abilities are instinct,power,speed, vision and courage. You do not coach these things. We lost a good running back in Thomas Jones because
we was injured and could not see beyond that.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Agreed, with all the focus on Bush he's getting overlooked.

Oh i think this would be a HUGE mistake....

Before the Tennessee game he "tweaked" his leg and then told coach he coudnt go. The Memphis coach blasted him saying he needed Warriors to go play against a team like Tennessee. They ended up making it close and Williams might have been the difference. Word is he didn't want to hurt his nation leading YPG against the vaunted UT run defense.

No room for a guy like that on the Cardinals i dont care if hes 230 and runs a 3.9 40. Give me fox hole guys. I would take Bush, White, and even Maroney ( i think he will be a flat out stud) over this guy.....

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
NO MORE RB'S!!!

JJ is the answer. Lets get a line and a rookie QB. A DT, MLB and FS.

SWD???? The same SWD i was arguing about the viability of JJ as a pro in week three????

You have come around........:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Oh i think this would be a HUGE mistake....

Before the Tennessee game he "tweaked" his leg and then told coach he coudnt go. The Memphis coach blasted him saying he needed Warriors to go play against a team like Tennessee. They ended up making it close and Williams might have been the difference. Word is he didn't want to hurt his nation leading YPG against the vaunted UT run defense.

No room for a guy like that on the Cardinals i dont care if hes 230 and runs a 3.9 40. Give me fox hole guys. I would take Bush, White, and even Maroney ( i think he will be a flat out stud) over this guy.....

Considering he's been playing most of the year with a WR at QB and a brand new OL I think it's unfair to accuse him of protecting his stats by not playing UT. Plus his backup had 17 carries for 77 yards so it's not like UT just clamped them down.

He was playing with an ankle injury and even the following game with all the time out he was apparently visibly limping but had over 100 yards and 36 carries.

Admittedly his timing was bad they apparently made the decision Friday of the game.

he's a great player, but I am a bit concerned about his recent injury history.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
I do not know how big DeAngelo is but I hope he is bigger than the two guys we have now. He gets a lot of good press but so did JJ and so far he has not lived up to it. A good RB if not injured is going to have some big games in a season. So far we have not had one 100 yd running season period. RB's are one breed that arrive in the NFL ready to play. Their abilities are instinct,power,speed, vision and courage. You do not coach these things. We lost a good running back in Thomas Jones because
we was injured and could not see beyond that.

Last 2 games 17 carries 84 yards, 4.9 YPC, 1 TD. You have to get the ball to get to 100 yards.

FYI we're WAY over 100 yards for the season, I'm assuming you mean 100 yard game.

JJ is averaging just under 5 YPC the last 4 games, but he's only had 30 carries he can't do anything about that except keep playing well and hope he gets more carries.