SI's sorry ass mock draft!

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
this is SI's new mock draft
seems pretty stupid to me.

how about a little input on this crap.

1 CB Terence Newman Kansas State 5'10" 189 Sr.
The Bengals gave QB Byron Leftwich the chance to become the No. 1 pick. He wasn't that impressive, so Newman fits the bill as a starting CB and punt returner.
2 WR Charles Rogers Michigan State 6'2" 202 Jr.
The buzz is that Houston would love to deal with Cincy for the top pick in order to steal Rogers from Detroit. Makes sense; Texans can get a tackle in Round 2.
3 DE Terrell Suggs Arizona State 6'3" 262 Jr.
If Houston doesn't trade, Suggs is a difference-maker pick. Again, there will be a left tackle available in the second round. Suggs won't be, though.
4 QB Carson Palmer USC 6'5" 232 Sr.
OK, so the Bears have several needs. We've opined in previous mock drafts that defensive line would be the pick. Maybe Jerry Angelo has everyone snookered.
5 CB Marcus Trufant Washington State 5'11" 199 Sr.
Dallas invested a lot of money in Chad Hutchinson, so maybe he deserves another chance. Picking Trufant addresses a glaring need; so will trading down.
6 WR Andre Johnson Miami (Fla.) 6'2" 230 Jr.
David Boston? Gone. MarTay Jenkins? Gone. Frank Sanders? Unrestricted free agent. Drafting Johnson gives Jeff Blake someone to throw the ball to.
7 DT Dewayne Robertson Kentucky 6'1" 317 Jr.
Minnesota somewhat addressed its defensive backfield in free agency, so the line becomes a priority. Robertson is the cream of the crop.
8 WR Taylor Jacobs Florida 6'0" 205 Sr.
With Johnson off the board, the Jags can afford to trade down and still get a WR -- plus at least an extra pick. Or this is where Leftwich comes off the board.
9 T Jordan Gross Utah 6'4" 300 Sr.
The premier offensive lineman in the draft, Gross would be an immediate starter for Carolina; Todd Steussie and Melvin Tuten each have a lot of mileage.
10 QB Kyle Boller California 6'3" 234 Sr.
Baltimore has used 10 QBs since 1996, including a different starter in five season openers since 1996. Does the revolving door stop here?
11 DT Jimmy Kennedy Penn State 6'4" 322 Sr.
Surpassed by Robertson as the best of a deep D-line class, Kennedy will prove to be a load in the future against the run and effective in pass-rushing.
12 LB Boss Bailey Georgia 6'3" 233 Sr.
With the top two D-backs off the board, St. Louis opts for a linebacker who could be the face of the future, mixing size with speed.
13 DT Kevin Williams Oklahoma State 6'4" 304 Sr.
New York could be a team looking to move into Jacksonville's spot at No. 8, or even Dallas at No. 5. The Jets are the highest-drafting team with two No. 1s.
14 DT William Joseph Miami (Fla.) 6'5" 308 Sr.
New England has the option of going offense or defense (the Patriots also pick at No. 19). Bill Belichick sticks with his defense-first philosophy.
15 * Eric Steinbach Iowa 6'6" 297 Sr.
Toniu Fonoti on the right, Steinbach on the left. Which way will LaDainian Tomlinson choose to run? Not a glamour pick, but rock-solid.
16 DE Jerome McDougle Miami (Fla.) 6'2" 264 Sr.
Kansas City totaled 33 sacks last season. Even after adding free-agent DE Vonnie Holliday, McDougle is a step in the right direction. And some insurance.
17 TE Jason Witten Tennessee 6'5" 264 Jr.
The last time New Orleans took a TE in the first round was 1993 (Irv Smith). Then there was Cam Cleeland (No. 2 in '98). Third time's the charm, huh?
18 S Mike Doss Ohio State 5'10" 207 Sr.
It's quiet on the Tebucky Jones-to-New Orleans trade front. Maybe too quiet. Barring a trade, the Saints must address this position.
19 RB Larry Johnson Penn State 6'1" 228 Sr.
New England has had two first-round picks in two of the past five drafts. The Patriots have taken one offensive skill player (RB Robert Edwards, 1998).
20 T Kwame Harris Stanford 6'7" 310 Jr.
If Harris is still on the board when Denver is up, he'll be a Bronco. We preface that with "if" simply because Cleveland sits at No. 21.
21 DE Chris Kelsay Nebraska 6'4" 273 Sr.
Cleveland may make a deal to move in front of Denver to nab Harris. If the Browns cannot, Kelsay is a logical pick with an eye on moving him to LB.
22 WR Bryant Johnson Penn State 6'2" 214 Sr.
With Laveranues Coles gone, New York must find another WR. Johnson is less risky, but Kelley Washington is an intriguing possibility.
23 S Troy Polamalu USC 5'10" 206 Sr.
Several needs could be addressed -- all defensive: safety, end (Michael Haynes) or tackle (Johnathan Sullivan). Any of the three would be welcomed.
24 CB Julian Battle Tennessee 6'2" 205 Sr.
Battle's stock has been rising, replacing Dennis Weathersby at the top of the second-tier CBs list. Linebacker E.J. Henderson is another strong candidate.
25 DT Johnathan Sullivan Georgia 6'3" 313 Jr.
New York is another team that can address its offensive line needs in later rounds. Sullivan is effective against both the run and pass.
26 DE Michael Haynes Penn State 6'3' 281 Sr.
San Francisco needs defensive line help; Haynes would prove more effective than DT Ty Warren because of his ability to rush the passer.
27 QB Byron Leftwich Marshall 6'5" 241 Sr.
Like we said, he may go at No. 8. Sans Leftwich, Pittsburgh will go for a safety -- Rashean Mathis of Bethune-Cookman or Ken Hamlin of Arkansas.
28 C Jeff Faine Notre Dame 6'2" 303 Sr.
Of the three O-line positions, center is the least glamorous. However, it's a position that cannot be ignored. Faine will be a lynch pin for Tennessee.
29 LB E.J. Henderson Maryland 6'0' 245 Sr.
I still say restricted free-agent QB Tim Rattay for a No. 7 would be a steal. ... And all the talk of who's the heir to Brett Favre would cease.
30 DE Kenny Peterson Ohio State 6'3' 298 Sr.
After an offseason of losses, Philadelphia must improve its end-rush positions. Peterson is a better long-term prospect than DE Cory Redding.
31 WR Kelley Washington Tennessee 6'2" 223 So.
Raider Al loves these kinds of picks. And if you think he's going out on a limb at No. 31, check out who could be No. 32 ...
32 RB Willis McGahee Miami (Fla.) 6'0" 223 So.
McGahee is telling everyone who will listen that he will play in 2003. We hear you -- and so does Mr. Davis, who gets a coup.
44 DT Ty Warren Texas A&M 6'4" 307 Sr.
Washington needs to restock the interior of its defensive line. Warren would be a solid foundation from which to build.
49 WR Tyrone Calico Middle Tenn. State 6'3" 223 Sr.
Unheralded, unknown ... but teamed with Chris Chambers, Miami suddenly looks explosive. Calico posted a 4.34 in the 40 at the Scouting Combine.
55 CB Dennis Weathersby Oregon State 6'0" 204 Sr.
Atlanta has signed two free-agent CBs and re-signed one of its own, but does anyone think Tyrone Williams or Tod McBride are long-term solutions?
64 RB Onterrio Smith Oregon 5'9" 220 Jr.
A few RBs will be available, including Quentin Griffin. The Tampa Bay brass contemplated Emmitt Smith; that doesn't bode well for Michael Pittman.

React

You've seen our latest 2003 Mock Draft, now give us your opinion:

Your Name:

Your E-mail Address:

Your City, State:

Your Mock Draft:

Related information
Stories
Complete 2003 NFL Draft Order
SI.com's 2003 Mock Draft -- Version 4.0
SI.com's 2003 Mock Draft -- Version 3.0
SI.com's 2003 Mock Draft -- Version 2.0
SI.com's 2003 Mock Draft -- Version 1.0

Multimedia
Visit Video Plus for the latest audio and video
Specials
Stuck at your desk during THE MASTERS? Follow all the action with our up-to-the-minute leaderboard, analysis and insight from SI.com!
Play ball with SI.com's Fantasy Baseball. Run you league online or join an existing group. Get in-game scoring, e-mail udpates and more. Join now!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I hope we don't draft Johnson at #6. We have enough project receivers. I trust Sully's judgement on McAddley and Gilmore. And there's always June....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I hope we don't draft Johnson at #6. We have enough project receivers. I trust Sully's judgement on McAddley and Gilmore. And there's always June....

Me too but other than Leftwich dropping so far, I don't know how off this mock is so bad compared to anyone else's. I think the Cards can get a WR later in the draft AND I expect them to get a crack at one or 2 after June 1.

OP
OP
H

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
Why do you think it is crap?

let's see

newman @ 1
the cards taking johnson over leftwitch or robertson
and oh ya leftwitch @27
this is ridiculous!!!
nuff said:wave: :thumbup:

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will not draft a WR with our first pick. We go DE/DT our first 2. then WR in the 3rd.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked out The Red Zone and they do not have Leftwich going in the first round. Very interesting....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by hef
Why do you think it is crap?

let's see

newman @ 1
the cards taking johnson over leftwitch or robertson
and oh ya leftwitch @27
this is ridiculous!!!
nuff said:wave: :thumbup:

The only one of those that makes no sense to me is Leftwich. Unless there is something nobody knows about I cannot see him falling out of the top 10. The Cards could easily take Johnson #6 since not only is he a top athlete (for those who say best athlete) but he fills a need (for those who say draft need). So in essense because they don't predict who YOU think the Cards should pick, then the mock draft is idiotic. But I noticed on your other thread of the mock draft you LIKE the Cards pick Suggs...which I can only assume you want them to pick if he is available so then that makes that mock draft much more sensible.

Newman could go 1 overall...not like that is new info. It has been stated a couple time recently and again makes sense considering the Bengals new HC is defensive minded...oh but he will take Palmer because foxsports says it in their mock draft. :rolleyes:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
If this happens I will jump off a cliff.

I do NOT want Andre Johnson - he is not worthy of a #6 pick

Leftwich is MUCH better than Johnson and I woul take him or Suggs

:thumbup:

OP
OP
H

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
The only one of those that makes no sense to me is Leftwich. Unless there is something nobody knows about I cannot see him falling out of the top 10. The Cards could easily take Johnson #6 since not only is he a top athlete (for those who say best athlete) but he fills a need (for those who say draft need). So in essense because they don't predict who YOU think the Cards should pick, then the mock draft is idiotic. But I noticed on your other thread of the mock draft you LIKE the Cards pick Suggs...which I can only assume you want them to pick if he is available so then that makes that mock draft much more sensible.

Newman could go 1 overall...not like that is new info. It has been stated a couple time recently and again makes sense considering the Bengals new HC is defensive minded...oh but he will take Palmer because foxsports says it in their mock draft.

imo newman will probaly fall to the tuna
and i dought that cincy will pass on lefty or palmer
and if they decide to draft defence it will be becuase the traded the 1st overall to ateam w/ 2 picks in the 1st and then i could see them drafting a d-lineman you know build your d from front to back and yes we should draft suggs he would help us fill our biggest hole then draft a good dt in rd 2 after that wr all day in the 3rd ie calico.johnson @6 please why in the hell would we want another wr project that could take 3 years to develop and still have no d line help and i don't think johnson will get past the lions anyway mooch has his garcia in harrington now he's looking for his T.O.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If Lefty drops to number 27 then the Cards sould trade TJ and a 2nd or 3rd next year for that pick. Maybe the Cards could get Lefty and Suggs now that would be SWEET

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by hef
imo newman will probaly fall to the tuna
and i dought that cincy will pass on lefty or palmer
and if they decide to draft defence it will be becuase the traded the 1st overall to ateam w/ 2 picks in the 1st and then i could see them drafting a d-lineman you know build your d from front to back and yes we should draft suggs he would help us fill our biggest hole then draft a good dt in rd 2 after that wr all day in the 3rd ie calico.johnson @6 please why in the hell would we want another wr project that could take 3 years to develop and still have no d line help and i don't think johnson will get past the lions anyway mooch has his garcia in harrington now he's looking for his T.O.

The reason Cincy could bypass QB at 1 overall is that there is still QB value in round 2 plus they do have Kitna. When you are done laughing, hear me out. Marvin Lewis saw the success BAL had in winning the Super Bowl with a powerful D, a solid running game and a very average QB who minimized his mistakes...just a QB who didn't LOSE the game. That is Kitna. Therefore, I can easily see them keeping #1 overall but avoiding paying out the huge bonus to a QB when, if Lewis sticks to the blueprint he had success with, he is already set at QB.

I hope you don't think I want Johnson because I don't. My point was it does make some sense even though many here are not too keen on the idea. The Lions will take Rogers IMO, leaving Johnson still out there and it could easily become a question the Cards must face when #6 rolls around. I would like Newman or a big old DT at #6 personally. Newman may be a long shot there but when the dust settles on the 1st 5 picks, then he could be sitting there.

OP
OP
H

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
GOOD POINT ON THE BLUEPRINT.
it just seems that if they are going to draft defence that they would trade that 1st overall to a team w/ 2 picks in the 1st and maybe pick up a dt and a cb or 2 d linemen and then grab boller or grossman in the 2nd

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by hef
GOOD POINT ON THE BLUEPRINT.
it just seems that if they are going to draft defence that they would trade that 1st overall to a team w/ 2 picks in the 1st and maybe pick up a dt and a cb or 2 d linemen and then grab boller or grossman in the 2nd

Makes perfect sense for them to trade down from 1 overall...on that I agree with you. The only problem is if they really want Newman they cannot trade down very far and still get him (operating under the assumption that the SI mock draft is ACTUALLY the way it goes). The trap door for them trading down is the fact they have #1 overall and the "large"signing bonus that goes with it. That may cause enough teams to hesitate, given cap conditions, to force them to use the pick themselves.

I think, if given the right circumstances, the Cards should trade down. Get an extra pick or two and then really make this draft fill alot of holes. Just my feeling on it and they liekly won't get a deal they like well enough to trade it...unless there is that one team that desperately wants a player available when the Cards pick.

While I like Leftwich, I have this feeling that if he were sitting there at #6 and the Cards kept their pick, I could see them still drafting defense. IMO, the Cards believe they have a good short term answer in Blake and they believe McCown/Parsons will develop very nicely over the next couple years. Just a hunch on my part.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
The only player I see people trading up for is Rogers, and the only team I see doing that is Houston. Maybe. Maybe not.

They'd end up with maybe another second rounder this year? 2nd, 3rd, and next years 2nd?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
The only player I see people trading up for is Rogers, and the only team I see doing that is Houston. Maybe. Maybe not.

They'd end up with maybe another second rounder this year? 2nd, 3rd, and next years 2nd?

After Suggs poor workout (and assuming he doesn't completely erase all doubts on his next workout) I agree Rogers may be the only player people trade up for. In alot of drafts, there would be interest in Palmer/Leftwich but there is good value later for QBs, there are a slew of DTs and some decent DEs. Unfortunately for Suggs, there will be a negative perception out there about his workouts...no matter what people saw when he played. Just the way it goes.

I cannot see trading up like that unless you are 1 player away from Super Bowl contention OR the player really is a can't miss prospect which I don't believe anyone is can't miss personally.

OP
OP
H

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
here is the olny way i see newman being #1 .cincy picks him and then trades him to dallas for thier 1st rd pick and maybe thier 3rd or 4th pick and @ the 5 spot i see cincy taking suggs (unfortinatly), kennedy or robertson basicly who ever is avalible as far as top 10 d linemen.moral of the story tuna gets pissed when his guy gets nabbed 1st but then creams himself when cincy calls for the trade.
imo cincy would be better off beeffing thier line if they plan to draft d. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OP
OP
H

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
hay thanx i had to settle this one was already taken

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters:D :wave: :D :thumbup: j/k

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mock Based on Kiper

Kiper's book is out, so instead of basing my 7 round mock on the War Room, I thought I'd do the same basing it on Mel's 6 round draft. Only rule: Cards can pick anyone available when they pick in Mel's mock:

1. (6) Terrell Suggs DE
2. (37) Andre Woolfolk CB
3. (70) Justin Gage WR
4. (102) Rashad Moore DT
5, (141) Matt Wilhelm MLB
6. (177) Cato June S
6. (210) Colin Cole DT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member