So tell me again how we could get a great receiver with the first pick in the 2nd

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely foolish. I'm glad we drafted Fitz, and didn't give in to the temptation of waiting to grab an offensive playmaker.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:
Absolutely foolish. I'm glad we drafted Fitz, and didn't give in to the temptation of waiting to grab an offensive playmaker.

oops, i'M ONE OF THE GUILTY ONES. wHO'D oF Thunk It. :oops:

I wanted Taylor first, But I'm turning cartwheels now.

Way to GO DG. :D

GO CARDS - 55K OPENING DAY.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One general manger who had passed on a wide receiver in the first round lamented to ESPN.com by phone that the "cupboard was picked bare" of wideouts in the opening round.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
One general manger who had passed on a wide receiver in the first round lamented to ESPN.com by phone that the "cupboard was picked bare" of wideouts in the opening round.

And most knew this would happen, that's the funny part.

I'm a little shocked that Evans went as high as he did, but not that he went in the first round.

If we had waited, we would have been screwed and forced to reach for a receiver later...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:
And most knew this would happen, that's the funny part.

I'm a little shocked that Evans went as high as he did, but not that he went in the first round.

If we had waited, we would have been screwed and forced to reach for a receiver later...
We started the run at a position in stead of coming in at the tail end of a run. That is huge. Then we were able to land one of the few good LBs in the draft, again beating the run at that particular the position.

Great job Green and Graves!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
We started the run at a position in stead of coming in at the tail end of a run. That is huge. Then we were able to land one of the few good LBs in the draft, again beating the run at that particular the position.

Graves and Green started the trend and the lemmings follows.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It sure seemed that way. Detroit's draft looked good but I think ours might end up looking the best in the later rounds. I would have done a few things differently but hindsight is 20/20. It seems like most teams did poorly compared to what most mock drafts guess would happen and what most experts felt should be picked. We seem to be one of the only few that are following their suggestions. I hope the "experts" are right this year!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:

I think this is easy to say in hindsight...you just never really know how the draft will play out.

Evans is the real deal...the only thing that scares you is the knee which is clearly OK. He catches everything in his area. Personally I thought Evans should have been ahead of Reggie Williams. Certainly he is better than Clayton who was the next WR taken.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I think this is easy to say in hindsight...you just never really know how the draft will play out.

Evans is the real deal...the only thing that scares you is the knee which is clearly OK. He catches everything in his area. Personally I thought Evans should have been ahead of Reggie Williams. Certainly he is better than Clayton who was the next WR taken.

I can't put Evans ahead of Reggie. Not only does he (Evans) have injury concerns, he is also much smaller.

My point was that I never believed we could get any of the guys in the second that some thought we could. We needed another playmaker on offense, and to not address it at #3, we would've missed out on the opportunity.

Instead of going with the defensive playmaker in the first, we potentially added two in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...If we had done it the other way around (addressing defense first...ahem, Sean Taylor), we would've missed out on nearly ALL of the offensive playmakers...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:
I can't put Evans ahead of Reggie. Not only does he (Evans) have injury concerns, he is also much smaller.

My point was that I never believed we could get any of the guys in the second that some thought we could. We needed another playmaker on offense, and to not address it at #3, we would've missed out on the opportunity.

Instead of going with the defensive playmaker in the first, we potentially added two in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...If we had done it the other way around (addressing defense first...ahem, Sean Taylor), we would've missed out on nearly ALL of the offensive playmakers...

I really thought Rashaun Woods was going to be there at #33 (he was close). I wasn't all the enamored with Taylor anyways (as you know I had kind of hoped for a trade down...to what pick didn;t matter too much).

Staying at #3, the Cards made the right call I guess. Fitz seems to be a good player who should translate his game to the NFL. I just had alot higher feelings about the offense prior to the draft.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I really thought Rashaun Woods was going to be there at #33 (he was close). I wasn't all the enamored with Taylor anyways (as you know I had kind of hoped for a trade down...to what pick didn;t matter too much).

I was actually quite surprised that Woods lasted that long. Not because I thought he would before the draft, but reading the run on receivers, he was clearly going off the board before the end of the first stanza.

I liked the idea of trading down only if Fitz was off the board. The problem is that a few of the guys that I would've wanted with a trade down would've been gone...

AZCB34 said:
Staying at #3, the Cards made the right call I guess. Fitz seems to be a good player who should translate his game to the NFL. I just had alot higher feelings about the offense prior to the draft.

IMO the offense was missing something. Sure the defense sucked, but what side of the ball was closer to being good? IMO offense, and teams should build their strengths.

With the drafting of Dansby (who not only helps run defense, but also helps pass coverage and pass rush) and Dockett (an underrated player in the third, and possibly the best rusher at tackle), the defense did improve IMO.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:
I was actually quite surprised that Woods lasted that long. Not because I thought he would before the draft, but reading the run on receivers, he was clearly going off the board before the end of the first stanza.

I liked the idea of trading down only if Fitz was off the board. The problem is that a few of the guys that I would've wanted with a trade down would've been gone...

IMO the offense was missing something. Sure the defense sucked, but what side of the ball was closer to being good? IMO offense, and teams should build their strengths.

With the drafting of Dansby (who not only helps run defense, but also helps pass coverage and pass rush) and Dockett (an underrated player in the third, and possibly the best rusher at tackle), the defense did improve IMO.

It was a great draft. Being in position to draft Dansby and Docket AND Stepanovich when they were there for the taking is HUGE.

I also wanted to trade down to 7, but I also called Oak. taking Gallery way back when.

I'm really GLAD now they did take him, because I'd much rather have Fitz than Roy!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I too am amazed that the top seven wrs went in the first round. I thought that one or two would be there at the beginning of the 2nd round.
Glad Fitz was there when we picked! :thumbup:

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
MadCardDisease said:

Great post. I was 50/50 with either Fitz 1st round & BPA 2nd round or Taylor 1st round & best left WR 2nd round.

I'm glad we did what we did - both are impact players. If we would've gone the other route, we would've had only 1 impact player.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:

QUOTE]

But thats a matter of opinion. If you believe in Green than you should be able to say that the guy could find a few more playmakers in the second or third when the pickings seem slim. Thats the skill of a good drafter. Make something out of nothing. Or package another deal to move up.

This defense is in much bigger need of playmakers than the O. Im not quite as enamored with the two D players we got in the 2nd and 3rd.

I am overall happy. But would have definately preferred anohter draft route.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Shane H said:
But thats a matter of opinion. If you believe in Green than you should be able to say that the guy could find a few more playmakers in the second or third when the pickings seem slim. Thats the skill of a good drafter. Make something out of nothing. Or package another deal to move up.

This defense is in much bigger need of playmakers than the O. Im not quite as enamored with the two D players we got in the 2nd and 3rd.

I am overall happy. But would have definately preferred anohter draft route.

But you can't turn a turd into an ice cream sundae... :D

Drafting any receiver at #33 would've been a huge reach. And IMO, the dropoff after Woods was enormous (though I like Derrick Hamilton a lot).

I was hoping that either Dansby, Kevin Jones, or Gamble would fall to #33. 1 out of 3 wasn't bad, and Dansby was IMO the BPA. Dockett was a guy that I heard mentioned for our #33, but I wasn't thrilled with him there, too much risk. At our 3, he was an absolute steal.

He was a better college player than many of the tackles talked about on this forum (Olshansky, Sopoaga, etc.) and could be a Pro Bowl-caliber DT.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think we started the run on receivers. Everyone knew that both Fitz and Roy Williams would be off the board in the top 5 - 8 area.

What I think happened was two things -

- The ineligibility of Mike Williams re-shortened the pool of wideouts by one and at least emotionally engendered the perception of "gotta get one now."

- The selection of Reggie Williams by Jacksonville (instead of Udeze or Will Smith) sparked the run on wideouts.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Reggie Williams at #9 started the run, Lee Evans at #13 turned it into a sprint

PopToosweet

The Birdman
Reaction score
Fitz....great pick, but watch dockett too

Hey yeah there were some great picks, but the guy that is going to shine this year from the drafted players is that 3rd round pick....Also from Florida State, Dockett ain't a joke....That's a great player.....Great draft.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05