So Who Needed a 2nd Anyhow?!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Know what I'm sayin'!! Wow. If Massie works out anywhere near as good as Acho---DANG!

aND getting Flemming also. It's like we had 1-2-3 picks!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Massie Could definitely be considered a low 2nd round grade. Easy.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bah, silly thread. We have Massie, yeah...and could have had another big talent in the second round. Yes, I for one certainly miss that 2nd rounder! Massie is a steal, but still...

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah, silly thread. We have Massie, yeah...and could have had another big talent in the second round. Yes, I for one certainly miss that 2nd rounder! Massie is a steal, but still...

Not silly at all. We had lemons and we went out and made some damn good lemonade! ;)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Sure, we absolutely did. But we could have had damn good lemonade AND a sexy chick in a bikini to serve it to us ;)

Ok im taking your side on this one. Hard to argue with this.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I suspect if we had a 2nd rounder that it would have been used on Mike Adams. I'll take Massie over him.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If I told you the draft went like below would you have been upset ?

Rnd 1 - M.Floyd
Rnd 2 - J.Fletcher
Rnd 3 - B.Massie
Rnd 4 - S.Kelemete
Rnd 5 - J.Bethel
Rnd 6 - R.Lindley
Rnd 7 - N.Potter

Would you have been upset ?

I would not have, that is for sure. This draft is so good to me, it "masks" the Kolb trade for me.

I am so very impressed with what our team did. Regardless of the results on the field when these players do start putting the pads on, I for one am comfortable with the picks this team made.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I very much respect that opinion.

But, I am obviously on the other side of the fence on that. I am not sure who in the 2nd round would have been better then the players we got in 3,4,5,6,7.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Rnd 1 - M.Floyd
Rnd 2 - J.Fletcher
Rnd 3 - B.Massie
Rnd 4 - S.Kelemete
Rnd 5 - J.Bethel
Rnd 6 - R.Lindley
Rnd 7 - N.Potter

I would not have, that is for sure. This draft is so good to me, it "masks" the Kolb trade for me.

I am so very impressed with what our team did. Regardless of the results on the field when these players do start putting the pads on, I for one am comfortable with the picks this team made.

You could flip flop Massie & Fletcher & it still looks great!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I suspect if we had a 2nd rounder that it would have been used on Mike Adams. I'll take Massie over him.

But we might have taken one of the Brandons: Taylor or Brooks. Other than those two, looking at who was taken between #51 and our 3rd, and considering we took Floyd in round one, I don't think we really missed that 2nd pick as badly as we thought we would.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Rnd 1 - M.Floyd
Rnd 2 - J.Fletcher
Rnd 3 - B.Massie
Rnd 4 - S.Kelemete
Rnd 5 - J.Bethel
Rnd 6 - R.Lindley
Rnd 7 - N.Potter

That's what I'm talkin about. No Debbie Downers for today!! :D Made them work harder and more peices fell in place. We just would've taken Fletcher at 2 and Massie at 3, mtl.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not faulting the organization for trying to get the QB they wanted but we really could have used a 2 in this draft. Look at our picks and add a Lavonte David or a Jerel Worthy and tell me our draft wouldn't look a lot better. There are years when not having a full complement of picks in the early rounds is not that big of a deal, this wasn't one of those years. On paper this is a good draft for the Cards but it could have been a great draft. I'm still happy though.

Steve

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm not faulting the organization for trying to get the QB they wanted but we really could have used a 2 in this draft. Look at our picks and add a Lavonte David or a Jerel Worthy and tell me our draft wouldn't look a lot better. There are years when not having a full complement of picks in the early rounds is not that big of a deal, this wasn't one of those years. On paper this is a good draft for the Cards but it could have been a great draft. I'm still happy though.

Steve

Or reach for another QB because they still are totaly average there. Osweiler or..........who knows?

Hindsight 20-20.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or reach for another QB because they still are totaly average there. Osweiler or..........who knows?

Hindsight 20-20.

This organization did a wonderful job drafting so I doubt they would have turned into idiots just because they had a 2nd round pick. I don't think I'm using hindsight, I believe it's called logic. But, even if you're right, how bad would that have been? Maybe they would have drafted Cousins and then used the 6th round pick on Acho or Winn. That is still a superior draft.

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This organization did a wonderful job drafting so I doubt they would have turned into idiots just because they had a 2nd round pick. I don't think I'm using hindsight, I believe it's called logic. But, even if you're right, how bad would that have been? Maybe they would have drafted Cousins and then used the 6th round pick on Acho or Winn. That is still a superior draft.

Steve

Yes it might have been good/better. Yes we're stuck with KK, at least another year.

And yes we did spectacular with what we had to work with now! No woulda shoulda coulda's here.

I'm just pointing our we got 1st, 2nd and 3rd round values all the same.

Of course another early pick would have been outstanding - we were rolling HOT! :newcards:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually...we don't know that -& won't until we see them in action.

Obviously..but you grade and judge by what's in front of you. As of now that's what we have to go on.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

#1, could of had a guy like Vinny Curry. Instead he goes to PHI with our pick.

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe you can look at it like we didn't have a 2nd round draft pick LAST year, and this year our second round pick is Ryan Williams.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hindsight.

We lucked out.

Not only did a few decent OTs last til #80, but when we passed on them in favor of an off-the-radar CB, Massie was still there for us in the 4th round.

The Kelemete and Potter picks were excellent examples of trusting our board and letting the draft come to us in the form of good players dropping down.

The Potter situation was a bit more iffy than people realize (history of shoulder injuries, but well worth a #221).

Things worked out so our FO staff are geniuses, but all it would have taken was one other team above us who loved Massie - & then they would have been bums.

Fortunately, they played the percentages as they saw them, and (on paper) good things happened.