ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The city or the school? I've got a different answer for both

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
I would assume you mean the "U".

It is mostly perception based upon the fact that you have a few bad apples (or at least sour tasting ones) like Michael Irvin (cocaine issues) and Ray Lewis (connection to the murder case) that combine with the ugly brawl with Florida International last year that make people question the integrity of the program and the University. This tends to overshadow the good people like Ed Reed, Antrel Rolle, Edge, Frank Gore, etc.

For me, I don't care much for the school but I beleive things like "Thug U" are unjustified.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
I don't get it and it's just silly.

Well, could it be the arrogance of Miami? A school with some of the poorest facilities, an academic standard that is marginal at best. A graduation standard that is just this side of horrific. Off field antics by players that are legendary. On field antics by players which are the worst of the 'me first' mentality player.

From the 'camo Fiesta bowl, to the revolving door of coaches, there is very little that the U of M needs to feel inexplicably picked on about. The number of hot dogging, self promoting thugs they now have practicing there trade in the NFL should tell you all you need to know about the resentment. The number of guys they put on the field that have class are definitely the exception, not the norm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shogun

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Well, could it be the arrogance of Miami? A school with some of the poorest facilities, an academic standard that is marginal at best. A graduation standard that is just this side of horrific. Off field antics by players that are legendary. On field antics by players which are the worst of the 'me first' mentality player.

From the 'camo Fiesta bowl, to the revolving door of coaches, there is very little that the U of M needs to feel inexplicably picked on about. The number of hot dogging, self promoting thugs they now have practicing there trade in the NFL should tell you all you need to know about the resentment. The number of guys they put on the field that have class are definitely the exception, not the norm.
Cockiness =/= thuggery.

List some "thugs" in the league today from the U, and I can find you just as many class guys.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cockiness =/= thuggery.

List some "thugs" in the league today from the U, and I can find you just as many class guys.
That may be, but you didn't ask for a court case, you asked why people hat the "U." That's why.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Cockiness =/= thuggery.

Instead of me putting together that lengthy list of less than spectacular characted, self-centered Miami players, why don't you give me that short list of wonderful, classy, team oriented guys.

I some ways, yes, cocky does equal thug or punk or whatever else you choose to call it. Confident is an attitude, cocky is a style. I'm not into style.

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
Warren Sapp is a filthy player from Miami. I forgot the guys name, but Sapp gave a career ending cheap shot to another lineman away from the play and pretty much after it was over. It not only ended his career, but he is disabled because of the hit. I saw a tidbit about the hit and very little was made of it, they showed the poor guy two years post "The Hit" and the guy could hardly walk. Sapp hit the guy from behind and dislocated the guys hip and caused nerve damage. He is a pig, a thug and I wish someone rolls into his knees and puts his fat a$$ in a chair for life. Love those "U" players!!!!!!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Warren Sapp is a filthy player from Miami. I forgot the guys name, but Sapp gave a career ending cheap shot to another lineman away from the play and pretty much after it was over. It not only ended his career, but he is disabled because of the hit. I saw a tidbit about the hit and very little was made of it, they showed the poor guy two years post "The Hit" and the guy could hardly walk. Sapp hit the guy from behind and dislocated the guys hip and caused nerve damage. He is a pig, a thug and I wish someone rolls into his knees and puts his fat a$$ in a chair for life. Love those "U" players!!!!!!

Sapp would actually fall onto the "good character" list! :D

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I don't think Conrad Dobler went to the U...

I am not a fan of the U but you can't deny the talent they have produced nor the childish gangsta attitude they have represented for the past several years. However, they seem to be making a commitment to change that and I think that is positive.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently?

Sean Taylor
Kellen Winslow

And the former WR turned commentator who wanted to come out of the booth and partake in the fight.

Over the years, the scum have been too numerous to remember.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure it didn't end the guys career and he was back starting at LT. Still it was a very dirty play whether it was within the rules or not. Add Najeh Davenport to the list of classy guys from Miami.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think that we should have a definition of "thug-like" behavior before we assign different people to these characteristics.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05