Sorting Through This Mess

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What I have heard is BA saying that Housler is doing very well with blocking and he knows Housler can catch and doesn't need to see that in PS games.

How much of that is coach speak would be my concern. BA also is on record as liking Sperry and he did fairly well against Denver. Since I wasn't at OTA's or TC I can only have faith in what BA is telling the media.

I would think that BA would have the team running plays designed for the TE's in the receiving game during TC so I understand your skepticism. Plus he cut your boy Dray so your view is clouded. :)

???

:confused:

When did this happen?

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/roster/Jim-Dray/88255c5a-abc3-4b46-ba3d-80b3fd09059f

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
reading an article on arizonacardinals.com they said if a players is picked jefferson should be moved?? wtf?
.mcann,fleming ,sperry,demens, dray and gibson are probably the players picked before jefferson

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
reading an article on arizonacardinals.com they said if a players is picked jefferson should be moved?? wtf?
.mcann,fleming ,sperry,demens, dray and gibson are probably the players picked before jefferson
I saw that - less an article/more one blogger's opinion.

We've got 7 corners and are only 2-deep (including T-Jeff) at safety. Common sense would tell you that corners are more expendable.

(though anything can happen).

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Going to be tough sledding on Defense until DWash is back. His speed really is what the D lacks and with younger guys in the secondary mistakes are going to be made. If I was another team I would never throw to PPs side and let him beat me.
The lines still look suspect and with Cooper out we will have a hard time getting anything going in the running game and Levi has been in midseason form as usual this preseason. False start, false start, sack. Better fix that or Chili Palmer will get killed. Hope he gets time to get the ball deep to the Wr's. Going to take a wait and see but not seeing anything special going on. Rams on the road could scorch this D. Hope I am wrong.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be tough sledding on Defense until DWash is back. His speed really is what the D lacks and with younger guys in the secondary mistakes are going to be made. If I was another team I would never throw to PPs side and let him beat me.
The lines still look suspect and with Cooper out we will have a hard time getting anything going in the running game and Levi has been in midseason form as usual this preseason. False start, false start, sack. Better fix that or Chili Palmer will get killed. Hope he gets time to get the ball deep to the Wr's. Going to take a wait and see but not seeing anything special going on. Rams on the road could scorch this D. Hope I am wrong.

I hope you're wrong, I think you're right.

Steve

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Peterson is the only young guy in the secondary. The correct statement would be with the lack of talent outside of PP21 mistakes are going to be made.

Bell, Johnson and Powers/Cason. Who in their right mind thought that would be a good secondary. A bunch of guys having senior moments. :p

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. It's hard to tell how good/bad a secondary is, unless you have a good pass rush. I think our secondary is better than our pass rush.
2. In figuring out who will make the final cut, it's probably good to remember the draft picks. We lost one to injury and one to concussion. If we went ahead and cut another (DC Jefferson??), there would have been speculation that SK's first draft was a failure. And yes I realize that DC Jefferson shouldn't decide whether a Draft was a success or not, perception is reality.

Reaction score
BA stated they have 270 plays in the playbook. My hope/guess is that he focused more on those for WR's since that was one of the major battles on the roster. Will we see more plays that highlight the TE's in the passing game during the regular season? Are there specific plays designed to get Housler open that weren't run during PS?

If BA believes he has a strength would he need to use that during a PS game? If BA has a need to find a couple of WR's while seeing how his Oline holds up in pass protection would he focus more on those plays?

How much does a team need to work on a strength to keep it strong and how much time should they put into improving a weakness?

Excellent questions Cardiac & I completely agree. We just don't know at this point.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
As far as personell, the Colts OL was far from ideal last season. They overcame it.

If our OL can't RB what can they do?

As far as Cooper is concerned, I'm not going to get greedy and wish for a fast return when everyone he'll be facing at week 10-11 at the earliest is in mid- season form. I don't think that's fair to him, and risks another injury possibly. That would be the last thing you would want.

The other argument you could make is to return him slowly, and give him sporadic work until he feels fully ready to go. That could have been an option.
Especially if we're like 4-6 / 4-7 at the return.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent questions Cardiac & I completely agree. We just don't know at this point.

Thanks.

I finally got to see the entire PS game against the Bronco's (NFL network is a PITA) and noticed that in the 4th QTR BA & Bowles finally starting blitzing and it was very effective. It's PS so it means basically a little more than nothing but it was encouraging.

My hope is that Bowles and BA ran very vanilla schemes and were simply gauging which DB's could handle man coverage and which pass rushers could beat their man straight up without stunts, twists and blitzes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as personell, the Colts OL was far from ideal last season. They overcame it.

If our OL can't RB what can they do?

As far as Cooper is concerned, I'm not going to get greedy and wish for a fast return when everyone he'll be facing at week 10-11 at the earliest is in mid- season form. I don't think that's fair to him, and risks another injury possibly. That would be the last thing you would want.

The other argument you could make is to return him slowly, and give him sporadic work until he feels fully ready to go. That could have been an option.
Especially if we're like 4-6 / 4-7 at the return.

I have to believe that Arians made a reasoned decision here. I know that earlier in the week on an ESPN show (Insiders IIRC) they stated that Arians had told them he was hopeful that Cooper would be back on the field before the end of the season so this decision wasn't just pulled out of his butt. We don't know all the factors in play here but I agree with you, it would have been quite a burden to throw him to the wolves like that while still trying to get up to speed.

Steve

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Peterson is the only young guy in the secondary. The correct statement would be with the lack of talent outside of PP21 mistakes are going to be made.

Bell, Johnson and Powers/Cason. Who in their right mind thought that would be a good secondary. A bunch of guys having senior moments. :p

Your right should have said talent but I was thinking of Mathieu/ Bethel/Johnson. There all going to make mistakes regardless and may not have the speed to limit the damage. This entire season will be a one step forward two step back approach to 5-11 I believe. The Cardinal way only not shooting ourselves in the foot and by that I mean we got the right HC in Arians. We will see if Kiem delivers the talent over the next couple seasons.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The two most glaring thing i took from the preseason is that our 1st string D did not stop the other teams 1st string offense in any game. Each one was able to systematically march down the field on us in an early drive before their 1st teamers started coming out of the game.

And secondly, the same old offensive woes. I saw no break away speed on offense which thus allowed other teams D to crowd up close to the line and take away even our shot passing game. I saw no evidence that our run game will be exceptional enough to add much constructiveness to our offense. Which pretty much sounds like the last few years, a rushed QB, no one open, and so much stress on everyone that a plethora of buffoon like mistakes seems to be our destiny.

i have a horrible feeling that at the end of the year we will be subjection to several shows filled with funny, bad, and inept plays, with our Cards in the starring role.

I truly think Arians will get a lesson in what it is like to coach a team filled with players who really aren't first team material both physically and mentally. At least he will learn quickly how much work he is in for and what he will need to do to fix it besides just a positive mindset and promising talk.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
So the bloom is off the rose?

Ken W. looked tan and happy; but SD is a wonderful place, year-round, great golfing.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch is placed on IR, broke his ankles jumping off the BASK bandwagon. The controversial season ending IR designation instead of the part time IR has many posters calling for BASK's head.

When asked why the IR decision was made BA stated he needed to start forming the team chemistry and Mitch simply was no longer on the same page. His obsession over tiny speedy WR's just doesn't mesh with BA's vision of what is needed at the position.

Lmao:D