Speculation on final big man

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not defending the acquisition of Marks, but he did pop off a little scoring spurt when Duncan was hurt in February. He helped keep them afloat. I think he scored 16 points in one game off the bench. He's a hack, but he's a somehwat skilled hack. He can shot the mid-range shot.

Like I said in another thread, Marks = Danny Ferry lite.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The way I figure it, the Suns have a little more than $1.5m of their MLE left--slightly less than the LLE.

I like Khryapa because he gives off that Brian Cook vibe. I was thinking Cook himself would be nice, but he probably isn't obtainable (and he just broke the thumb on his shooting hand, so it's probably a bad idea to go after him).

Anyway, that's what the Suns need at this point--a long perimeter-oriented big man with deep range. Somebody to split the difference between James Jones and Marks/Burke, if you will.

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
The way I figure it, the Suns have a little more than $1.5m of their MLE left--slightly less than the LLE.

:confused: Did we trade for Marks or did I miss something? We should still have $1.9 left of the MLE and the $3.6 million from the TE

I thought we signed him for the minimum

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
:confused: Did we trade for Marks or did I miss something? We should still have $1.9 left of the MLE and the $3.7 million from the TE

I thought we signed him for the minimum

I have Banks' salary starting at more than $3.62m, with the MLE at $5.21m.

sunsfn

Reaction score
The Suns have to sign one more player to meet the minimum, and last year they carried 14. However, one was a rookie and they do not have that this year.
So, unless they make some kind of trade. I would like to see either a banger pf/c or a defensive swing man to play against certain teams. Otherwise, there really is no minutes for anyone else.

Phoenix Suns Players 2006/07

Starter 1) Shawn Marion - sf
Starter 2) Amare Stoudemire - pf/c
Starter 3) Steve Nash -pg
Starter 4) Kurt Thomas - pf/c
Starter 5) Raja Bell - 2g

6) Boris Diaw -sf/pf/c -- could start depending on the opposition. (will play lots of minutes)

7) Marcus Banks - pg
8) Leandrinho Barbosa -pg/2g
9) James Jones - sf

10) Eric Piatkowski - 2g/sf/bench
11) Pat Burke - c/bench
12) Sean Marks - c/bench
13)

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Phoenix Suns Players 2006/07

Starter 1) Shawn Marion - sf
Starter 2) Amare Stoudemire - pf/c
Starter 3) Steve Nash -pg
Starter 4) Kurt Thomas - pf/c
Starter 5) Raja Bell - 2g

6) Boris Diaw -sf/pf/c -- could start depending on the opposition. (will play lots of minutes)

7) Marcus Banks - pg
8) Leandrinho Barbosa -pg/2g
9) James Jones - sf

10) Eric Piatkowski - 2g/sf/bench
11) Pat Burke - c/bench
12) Sean Marks - c/bench
13)

we NEED another big man

we only have THREE legit big men

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the linked article below,

Suns Find Their Backup Point Guard in Banks
By Josh Greene, Suns.com
Posted: July 20, 2006

Managing Partner Robert Sarver added, “This is a team he wanted to play for. He’s excited to play with Steve Nash. He’s excited to play the role he needs to play to help us win a championship. It fills a need for us this year and fills out the rest of our roster to get us where we need to be. We’re close. And Marcus will help get us there.”

See Link:
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/jag_060720.html

In the complete article I see no mention of Sean Marks or who the thirteenth player the Suns might add to their roster. I wonder if Sarver is just generalizing in regard that the Suns already have their core players in place (which I presume) or the Suns already know who their thirteen or more players already are, at least as of now. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting remark being the roster is not technically complete.

I guess what I'm wondering, are the Suns done shopping other than for roster fillers? It sounds like it. I was hoping for something more substantial than Sean Marks in the frontcourt (and change) to fill out the roster.

Maybe I'm just greedy. :)

Or maybe the Suns are planning to make any roster adjustments, if needed, later on (although the TE expires I believe in August).

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns situation is simple. They have perhaps $1.5 in cap space and their $3.7 TE. The cap space is not enough to get anyone who has other options, but might make a difference if it gets close to training camp and a guy decides to take a small deal rather than wait by the phone.

My guess is that the real priority is to work a trade using the TE for a rookie contract guy such as Melvin Ely or Andris Biedrins or a low priced vet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
The Suns situation is simple. They have perhaps $1.5 in cap space and their $3.7 TE. The cap space is not enough to get anyone who has other options, but might make a difference if it gets close to training camp and a guy decides to take a small deal rather than wait by the phone.

My guess is that the real priority is to work a trade using the TE for a rookie contract guy such as Melvin Ely or Andris Biedrins or a low priced vet.

I'd really like for it to work out this way. I especially like the two players you mention above.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

OK, what did I miss? The MLE this year is 5.5 million. The Suns signed Banks for a deal starting at 3.5 million (with 10% raises, equals 21 million over 5 exactly). Both Pike and Marks (if he signs) will be vet minimum deals which don't count against the cap.

So that leaves them $2 million. Where did I lose that other half million dollars (good grief, sounds like something Jordan says on Vegas night)?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
OK, what did I miss? The MLE this year is 5.5 million. The Suns signed Banks for a deal starting at 3.5 million (with 10% raises, equals 21 million over 5 exactly). Both Pike and Marks (if he signs) will be vet minimum deals which don't count against the cap.

So that leaves them $2 million. Where did I lose that other half million dollars (good grief, sounds like something Jordan says on Vegas night)?

I'm being conservative. I've heard as high as $23 or even $24 million for Banks.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is a list of guys I see that wouldn't cost much to bring in:

Steven Hunter - 3 mil/yr
Melvin Ely - rookie contract
Brenden Haywood - 3mil/yr
Robert Swift - rookie contract
Kendrick Perkins - rookie contract
David Harrison - rookie contract
Jarron Collins - 2-3 mil/yr

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
Here is a list of guys I see that wouldn't cost much to bring in:

Steven Hunter - 3 mil/yr
Melvin Ely - rookie contract
Brenden Haywood - 3mil/yr
Robert Swift - rookie contract
Kendrick Perkins - rookie contract
David Harrison - rookie contract
Jarron Collins - 2-3 mil/yr

The people who are appealing are Perkins, Harrison and Swift. Of course, none of those people are available. Maybe Harrison, but we would have to give something up for him - and he is a bit of a head case.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
Okay here's a wild idea...

Kurt Thomas and James Jones for Kenyon Martin

Probably would never happen, but still...

Nash
Bell
Marion
Stoudemire
Martin

6th - Diaw

What team could contain Amare/Martin/Marion/Diaw?

In our halfcourt sets we could pick-roll teams to death with Nash/Diaw setting up Amare/Martin/Marion.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
NastyOne said:

Nash
Bell
Marion
Stoudemire
Martin

6th - Diaw

In our halfcourt sets we could pick-roll teams to death with Nash/Diaw setting up Amare/Martin/Marion.

Denver would do that in 1 second. That Martin contract is toxic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NastyOne said:

Nash
Bell
Marion
Stoudemire
Martin

6th - Diaw

jeez man, isn't it bad enough that we already ONE guy who's explosiveness is in doubt due to microfracture, but now you want TWO? Uh, no thanks to that trade idea. We ain't the Knicks.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kris Humphries? This guy would be perfect for the Suns to bolster our frontcourt and might actually get some time. He's athletic, a scrapper, can run the floor, rebound, has a decent mid range game, and he's cheap. He's always played well against us, but didn't get much time from Sloan. Too bad BC already got him and he can't be traded for like 6 mos. BC is going to be a thorn in our side for years to come.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folster said:
Kris Humphries? This guy would be perfect for the Suns to bolster our frontcourt and might actually get some time. He's athletic, a scrapper, can run the floor, rebound, has a decent mid range game, and he's cheap. He's always played well against us, but didn't get much time from Sloan. Too bad BC already got him and he can't be traded for like 6 mos. BC is going to be a thorn in our side for years to come.

I think we have similar taste in players. I wish Phoenix could have signed Kris Humphries instead of Toronto.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05