Sporting News - Cards Team Report (3-19)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/cardinals/index.html

Cardinals Team Report
3/19/2006

By Kent Somers
Arizona Republic

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The team will continue to search the free agent market for offensive linemen, but the decision not to pursue some of the big names available suggests coaches think they have the elements already in place. The most significant offensive line addition was the signing of Milford Brown, a free agent from Houston. He'll start at right guard. But he's hardly a proven commodity. Coach Dennis Green thinks the team had some talented linemen already on the roster, and that injuries were a big reason the team was last in rushing in 2005. He's counting heavily on new offensive line coach Steve Loney to take the existing pieces -- G Reggie Wells, Ts Leonard Davis and Oliver Ross and Cs Alex Stepanovich and Nick Leckey -- and make something of them. It's a fairly deep draft for interior offensive linemen, and it wouldn't be surprising to see the club take one on the first day. Coaches were satisfied last year with the play of FS Robert Griffith, even though he had just one interception and made fewer players than expected of him. At 35, Griffith is being asked to do a lot. SS Adrian Wilson was used often as a blitzer, leaving Griffith to cover a lot of ground. Defensive coaches think they'll be able to better help Griffith this year by making some adjustments in scheme, including alignment.

OFFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS: There won't be wholesale changes in the playbook or philosophy. The three-receiver set will continue to be the base formation, and the Cardinals won't be afraid to throw. The addition of RB Edgerrin James should help a woeful running attack. It would help if the team had a solid blocking fullback. Not that it wants to use the two-back formation all the time, but it would add a threat the team didn't have last season. A commitment to the running game should help right tackle Oliver Ross. He became a glorified left tackle last year because the team threw so much, and that took away from his strength: run blocking. James Hodgins, a solid blocking back, missed all of last season with a knee injury, but there are concerns about his durability.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I always thought "Hammer" was one key missing in our running game. Green seems to see it also because he keeps him around. If our conditioning coach and rehab go well for him, and with the conditioning helping his durability, he could be an important part of the answer to our runnig game woes.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I don't get the Milford Brown signing. Looks like another Ross to me. He better be good or that right side could suck as bad as it ever has this next season.

What I really don't get is why would you play a guy like Elton Brown there as a rookie and then go overpay a guy like Milford Brown who hasn't really shown anything more than Elton Brown? I think Elton Brown has some nice upside. Inexperienced, but that is why I thought he was in there as a rookie. To go through the growing pains and get experience. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I don't get the Milford Brown signing. Looks like another Ross to me. He better be good or that right side could suck as bad as it ever has this next season.

What I really don't get is why would you play a guy like Elton Brown there as a rookie and then go overpay a guy like Milford Brown who hasn't really shown anything more than Elton Brown? I think Elton Brown has some nice upside. Inexperienced, but that is why I thought he was in there as a rookie. To go through the growing pains and get experience. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Milton Brown is being penciled in at Left guard at this point.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Milton Brown is being penciled in at Left guard at this point.
All the reports I've seen have Wells at LG and M. Brown replacing E. Brown at RG. Where did you see otherwise?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
All the reports I've seen have Wells at LG and M. Brown replacing E. Brown at RG. Where did you see otherwise?

Well, I have read differently... but where I can't say. My understanding was the M. Brown would get the opportunity to start at Left guard, E. Brown at Right... and Well's would likely become our super-sub.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pariah said:

If Wells goes to Buffalo for over 3 mil a year you might want to un-pencil him.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
john h said:
If Wells goes to Buffalo for over 3 mil a year you might want to un-pencil him.

Green and Graves in seperate interviews already said they will match it.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Well, I have read differently... but where I can't say. My understanding was the M. Brown would get the opportunity to start at Left guard, E. Brown at Right... and Well's would likely become our super-sub.

Say what? You don't pay a guy what they are paying Wells to be a sub. I have heard him mentioned at center, but not RG.

seesred

Reaction score
Brown, Ross right side
Wells or Step center
M Brown, Davis on left side

Unless something else happens like we don't sign Wells that's how I see this line .

GBR

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Step will be lucky to make this team. Leckey could start at center and do well wtih more experienced OG's in there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser