SportingNews.com

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anybody pay for SportingNews Ultimate? The Warroom has the rankings for coaches and coordinators on there. Would be interested to know how the Cards guys fared in their rankings.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Head coaches

1. Bill Parcells, Cowboys. The man who has led two organizations to the Super Bowl takes on a new challenge in Dallas. Parcells gets results quickly and knows how to get the most out of players.

2. Jon Gruden, Buccaneers. Gruden has led his last three teams -- Raiders (2000-2001) and Buccaneers (2002) -- to division titles and last season became the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl.

3. Jeff Fisher, Titans. Best known for his aggressive defenses, Fisher led the Titans to the AFC championship game last year despite a 1-4 start.

4. Andy Reid, Eagles. Reid has led the Eagles to the last two NFC championship games. He did it last year without Donovan McNabb for the final six regular-season games.

5. Dick Vermeil, Chiefs. His players work hard for him, his teams generally play with great discipline, and the Chiefs have steadily improved the last two seasons.

6. Bill Cowher, Steelers. Cowher led the Steelers to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as coach and has taken them to four AFC championship games and one Super Bowl.

7. Brian Billick, Ravens. Although cap casualties decimated the roster and Ray Lewis missed most of last season, Billick had the Ravens in playoff contention.

Offensive coordinators

1. Brad Childress, Eagles. Reid justifiably gets a lot of credit, but Childress' contributions shouldn't be overlooked. He has helped turn McNabb into one of the league's best quarterbacks.

2. Mike Mularkey, Steelers. Since Mularkey took over two years ago, the Steelers' offense has evolved from a power running attack into a relatively wide-open passing scheme. He keeps opponents off-balance with gadget plays.

3. Norv Turner, Dolphins. Turner's schemes spread the ball around. He uses several formations and makes great adjustments.

4. Tom Moore, Colts. Moore's offense uses the run to set up Peyton Manning's great play-action packages. Moore throws a variety of different personnel groups at defenses.

5. Marc Trestman, Raiders. In Trestman's first season as Oakland's coordinator, the Raiders finished first in the league in total offense and passing offense.

Defensive coordinators

1. Monte Kiffin, Buccaneers. Under Kiffin, the godfather of the cover 2 scheme, the Buccaneers have finished third, second, third, ninth, sixth and first in total defense over the last six seasons.

2. Jim Johnson, Eagles. Johnson's defense forces quarterbacks into costly mistakes by blitzing constantly and bringing pressure from all over the field.

3. Ray Rhodes, Seahawks. During Rhodes' six seasons as a coordinator, his units have finished below the top 10 in total defense just once.

4. Tim Lewis, Steelers. The Steelers led the league in run defense in each of the last two years and do an excellent job of getting to quarterbacks.

5. Jim Bates, Dolphins. The Dolphins have one of the strongest pass defenses in the league. Bates' corners apply aggressive man-to-man coverage that results in plenty of turnovers.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think your bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now do you understand everything I've said? Because if you don't, I'll kill ya - Rory Breaker
A-a-r-m-y Training, Sir! - Bill Murray

So Trestman is considered a Top Fiver.

Well, uh, OK. He did a smashing job developing Plummer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think your bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now do you understand everything I've said? Because if you don't, I'll kill ya - Rory Breaker
A-a-r-m-y Training, Sir! - Bill Murray

So Trestman is considered a Top Fiver.

Well, uh, OK. He did a smashing job developing Plummer.

i think that goes more towards the proposition that Plummer is undevelopable (yeah, nice word) than an indictment of Trestman at this point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
i think that goes more towards the proposition that Plummer is undevelopable (yeah, nice word) than an indictment of Trestman at this point.

Just as I think it's silly to blame Trestman for Jake's failures, I think it's silly to put Trestman in the top 5 after one year given the talent he inherited in Oakland. I think he's a good coach but I think a lot of people could have done well with that talent too.

But that's the nature of the NFL when your team is winning, everyone on your staff is a genius, when you're losing, your staff sucks.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Speaking of Trestman, are you REALLY an offensive coordinator if all you do is load the game plan, while the head coach calls all the plays during the game, like Oakland did last year?

Jake claimed in Denver, that it seemed like Trestman was obsessed with getting every play in the game plan checked off, while he was here.

Emmitt came to town, and proclaimed that we only needed 4 or 5 plays, run to perfection, over, and over. Make the defense STOP something, then adjust to the defenses adjustments.

What a concept...Emmitt's paid off already.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
Emmitt came to town, and proclaimed that we only needed 4 or 5 plays, run to perfection, over, and over. Make the defense STOP something, then adjust to the defenses adjustments

AbsoFreakingLutely.
Hopefully they're all running plays. Everything else would fall into place.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
AbsoFreakingLutely.
Hopefully they're all running plays. Everything else would fall into place.

Umm you do realize this isn't Nebraska right? :D

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
Speaking of Trestman, are you REALLY an offensive coordinator if all you do is load the game plan, while the head coach calls all the plays during the game, like Oakland did last year?

Jake claimed in Denver, that it seemed like Trestman was obsessed with getting every play in the game plan checked off, while he was here.

Emmitt came to town, and proclaimed that we only needed 4 or 5 plays, run to perfection, over, and over. Make the defense STOP something, then adjust to the defenses adjustments.

What a concept...Emmitt's paid off already.

Lex, maybe you should go hang on the Broncos board. They think Jake will throw for 20-25 TDs and no more than 14 INTs.

The Jake/Trestman fiasco was all about both sides. Trestman had an offense that Jake couldn't grasp instead of tailoring the offense to meet Jakes abilities. Jake apparently (so reports suggest) didn't study hard enough to grasp it and was a square peg being shoved into a triangular hole. It was a marriage that was likely never going to work.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Umm you do realize this isn't Nebraska right? :D

Yes.
I also realize that we have a monstorous offensive line, the most quality depth at RB we've had since they've been in AZ, a 270 pound masher at FB and the division winner last year has 265 pound defensive ends.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Yes.
I also realize that we have a monstorous offensive line, the most quality depth at RB we've had since they've been in AZ, a 270 pound masher at FB and the division winner last year has 265 pound defensive ends.

Sorry but I want Blake chucking the ball so we can remember what it is like to have a QB play effectively. I want to see Gilmore streaking down the sidelines and Blake hitting him in stride, not underthrowing by 10 yards. I want to see Jones running clean up the seam and catching the ball and laying lumber to a S. I want to see Superman running across the middle and knowing he won't be hung out to dry by his QB.

After all that. Then the huge OL pounds the opposing defense into wimpering submission until they see tears in the eyes of the opponents and they are begging for the game to end. For once I would like to see the Cards have a 14-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Sorry but I want Blake chucking the ball so we can remember what it is like to have a QB play effectively. I want to see Gilmore streaking down the sidelines and Blake hitting him in stride, not underthrowing by 10 yards. I want to see Jones running clean up the seam and catching the ball and laying lumber to a S. I want to see Superman running across the middle and knowing he won't be hung out to dry by his QB.

After all that. Then the huge OL pounds the opposing defense into wimpering submission until they see tears in the eyes of the opponents and they are begging for the game to end. For once I would like to see the Cards have a 14-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Good stuff. I'm all for the 14-0 part.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Hey AZCB34- This isn't about Jake. Ok?

Chill out man.

Some of you Jake haters have gone nuts. You just can't stand all the hype he's getting nationwide since he flew the coup. Jake's not pimping himself, the media is. Not only that, but Jake never slammed us either. Yet some people pick out a little quote, blow it totally out of proportion, and run with it.

The Jake haters keep posting this stuff.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Jake is in the perfect situation to succeed. I say lets let him show what he can really do. We will have plenty of time to rip him if he is an INT machine or if he was able to learn a system and actually pick up the D. I say lets ride this one out until he shows his true form and the Cards will look better for not resigning him.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
>>Good stuff. I'm all for the 14-0 part.>>

Me too, but I think one of the last times we streaked out to a big first quarter lead was at Cincy in the opening game in 1998 (or around then). We lead 21-0 but eventually lost after Centers fumbled on a meaningless play with less than 1:00 to go and Cincy (with Blake?) streaked down the field to win the game. Sorry to bring up bad memories... that game still gives me the shivers.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex I think you are missing the point to a lot of the Jake comments.

It's not Jake we hate (at least I don't), I'm glad he is gone an was a (mostly) class guy while here.

What I really don't like are is the media and Broncos fans continually saying how Jake is the second coming now that he is not here in Arizona. They want to place the blame for all his shortcomings on the Cardinals, this is despite the fact that just about every report we hear of sugests that he is having the same problems up there that he had here.

I am tired of hearing how the only reason Jake had problems was the Cardinals, not Jake as he will take the Boncos to the SB next year.

I bear Jake no ill will, nor I think do many people here, regardless of what they think of his onfield performance (or lack thereof).

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
We're going to agree to disagree on your last post Nidan.

I'm not missing any points. Bronco fans pimping Jake, are exactly like Cardinal fans pimping Jeff Blake of all people, "prettiest deep ball in football" "Blake won't constantly underthrow our receivers," "Blake will understand the offense"

The REAL problem with the Jake haters, is they feel like the media, and Bronco fans are calling them stupid. They're taking these comments PERSONALLY. Give me a break.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There was a dude in the movie Stripes, who did the same "tap dance" - i.e. "if you touch me, I'll kill you." If you touch my things, I'll kill you."

Thus the Bill Murray quote - "A-a-r-r-my Training, Sir." (Also from the movie, Stripes).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Issue is Trestman/Not Jake

I was only using Plummer as an example to point out that Trestman certainly didn't look like a Top 5 OC when he was with us, and that I don't think he's anywhere close to that now.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
Hey AZCB34- This isn't about Jake. Ok?

Chill out man.

Some of you Jake haters have gone nuts. You just can't stand all the hype he's getting nationwide since he flew the coup. Jake's not pimping himself, the media is. Not only that, but Jake never slammed us either. Yet some people pick out a little quote, blow it totally out of proportion, and run with it.

The Jake haters keep posting this stuff.

Why call me a Jake hater? If you took a moment to read my post, you would know that in the theme of Trestman/Jake I criticized both equally for the demise of the relationship where as you seemed to suggest it was all Trestman's fault. All I was pointing out is that the Bronco fans have expectations that, right or wrong, are in no way realistic given Jake's past. Not even saying Jake cannot do it but they are basing their expectations on things that Jake has never accomplished.

Talk about me chilling out....

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin

There was a dude in the movie Stripes, who did the same "tap dance" - i.e. "if you touch me, I'll kill you." If you touch my things, I'll kill you."

Thus the Bill Murray quote - "A-a-r-r-my Training, Sir." (Also from the movie, Stripes).

My name is Francis but you call me Psycho. Any of you call me Francis....I'll kill you

Or something to that effect

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05