Spurs-Heat Finals

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hereby vow to not watch one damn second of the NBA Finals this year if SA-Miami is the matchup. Which it almost certainly is, although I'm still pulling for a miracle from the Pacers.

Who is with me?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hereby vow to not watch one damn second of the NBA Finals this year if SA-Miami is the matchup. Which it almost certainly is, although I'm still pulling for a miracle from the Pacers.

Who is with me?

When do the playoffs start?

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all the injuries around the league (Westbrook, Rose, Lee, Deng, half of Denver's team, Granger, Rondo and (as much as it pains me to say it) Kobe) this has turned into one of the dullest playoffs in recent memory.

We also had Bynum and Love out of the picture for teams who could have stirred the pot.

This final matchup might be interesting from a competitive standpoint... if not for that I want neither team to win.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Tony Parker is my favorite player on either of those two teams, so I guess that means I'm rooting for the Spurs. But I've watched almost none of the playoffs as it is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after having watched an injury riddled playoffs, I'm actually pretty stoked to see the league's longest dynasty of this era at full strength play possibly the league's next dynasty at full strength.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
after having watched an injury riddled playoffs, I'm actually pretty stoked to see the league's longest dynasty of this era at full strength play possibly the league's next dynasty at full strength.

Yesm obviously the teams themselves are insufferable but the games should be pretty high quality basketball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesm obviously the teams themselves are insufferable but the games should be pretty high quality basketball.

I certainly don't consider it high quality basketball. I find it to be mostly unwatchable basketball. I think today's defenses are allowed to do some things that shouldn't be tolerated (mostly illegal screens) but what really gets me is the physicality on offense. How can fans stand to watch the way this game is now being played? It's even worse than the days when we use to watch Shaq bowl over defenders without penalty. I don't even think we need a basketball out there. Just let them settle it with MMA and weightlifting. If Lebron and Wade weren't superstars and if this game was called the way it should be called, neither one of them would ever see the court past the first quarter.

Steve

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I certainly don't consider it high quality basketball. I find it to be mostly unwatchable basketball. I think today's defenses are allowed to do some things that shouldn't be tolerated (mostly illegal screens) but what really gets me is the physicality on offense. How can fans stand to watch the way this game is now being played? It's even worse than the days when we use to watch Shaq bowl over defenders without penalty. I don't even think we need a basketball out there. Just let them settle it with MMA and weightlifting. If Lebron and Wade weren't superstars and if this game was called the way it should be called, neither one of them would ever see the court past the first quarter.
The majority of the best players in basketball have always been physically superior to their peers and use that to their advantage offensively. Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain, Magic, etc. Did you have an issue with Chuck bowling over defenders during our heyday? I understand the Spurs and Miami are both very unlikable but they're both terrific basketball teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The majority of the best players in basketball have always been physically superior to their peers and use that to their advantage offensively. Mikan, Russell, Chamberlain, Magic, etc. Did you have an issue with Chuck bowling over defenders during our heyday? I understand the Spurs and Miami are both very unlikable but they're both terrific basketball teams.

Mikan is before my time but I grew up watching Wilt and Russell (in their prime) and that is not what I'm talking about. And yes, I did have an issue with Chuck using his butt repeatedly to force the defender backwards. Fortunately, the league eventually tired of it too and finally started calling it.

Do you remember all the furor over the little push that Jordan gave Russell in the championship series over Utah? That was a foul that should have been called and usually was but when it was done right, the good players would get away with it. Now, go back and look at the last play of that game where Lebron got loose and all the media could talk about was the fact that the Coach should have left Hibbert in. But at the start of that play, James does a full-on straight arm to get open to receive that pass and no one blinked an eye. That's the type of physical play I'm talking about and it's far beyond the stuff the league used to allow.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Did you have an issue with Chuck bowling over defenders during our heyday?
Charles also used that play on defense. He would press up against the back of the player who was backing in with the ball and, at the right moment, take a couple of steps back and the guy with the ball would wind up pressing into "air" and lose his balance and/or land on his butt.

I laughed like hell every time the Chuckster employed it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charles also used that play on defense. He would press up against the back of the player who was backing in with the ball and, at the right moment, take a couple of steps back and the guy with the ball would wind up pressing into "air" and lose his balance and/or land on his butt.

Yeah but there is nothing wrong with that move, it's a legit basketball play. And it was especially entertaining when he did it to Shawn Kemp.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was a pretty simple play. Put resistance on a big man backing you down and then suddenly back off which often resulted in a travel. Of course, they probably wouldn't call the travel in today's NBA.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Joey Crawford should never step foot on a basketball court again.

Unwritten rule of pro sports is no one should know the names of the officials.in basketball, you could probably go buy their trading card from Topps.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's called "pulling the chair" and I teach it to youth basketball players. Totally legit, and outstanding. Really pisses off the offensive player.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score

The Heat aren't close to being at their best. Even with all the Lebrastribation in the media, a (somehow) overlooked part of the Heat's success this season is Dwayne Wade. I'd say Wade was their best player 35-40% of the time this year. Wade seems to be a player who really struggles when he's not at 100%, and he's no where near 100% right now.

The Spurs will sweep the Heat in the Finals. Maybe Miami will get one game if Ray Allen has a breakout game with like 19 points on 6-8 from 3, but otherwise, the Heat can't compete.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Heat aren't close to being at their best. Even with all the Lebrastribation in the media, a (somehow) overlooked part of the Heat's success this season is Dwayne Wade. I'd say Wade was their best player 35-40% of the time this year. Wade seems to be a player who really struggles when he's not at 100%, and he's no where near 100% right now.

The Spurs will sweep the Heat in the Finals. Maybe Miami will get one game if Ray Allen has a breakout game with like 19 points on 6-8 from 3, but otherwise, the Heat can't compete.

wow. I'd make a sig bet on this if you want. Over under on how many games Miami wins is 1, I'll take the over on that bet any day of the week. And a sweep? I think you're drinking drano there.

Indy is a matchup problem for the Heat because of their size. SA doesn't present the same problem there. Both Hibbert and West are bruisers WITH offensive game. Duncan, while still very good, doesn't present the same size problem and the other euro next to him isn't an offensive threat at all compared to West.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The Spurs will sweep the Heat in the Finals. .

That is crazy. I think Indiana is a tougher matchup than San Antonio.
Not saying that the Spurs can't beat Miami in 7 games, but if I were a betting man, my money would be on Miami.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone is packing the spurs over pacers/heat. The spurs didn't face a competent 8th seed much like years past and they squeked by an unhealthy warriors team and could have easily lost that series. And finally they should have been playing Okc not Memphis.
Right now in the east you have two healthy teams facin each other, although there are year long problems like wade and grangers health.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Miami probably beats SA in 5 or 6. The Heat can just slap LeBron on Parker and that will be that for San Antonio's cutting offensive attack. The Spurs are going to need to have some big big games from three in order to make this series competitive.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
wow. I'd make a sig bet on this if you want. Over under on how many games Miami wins is 1, I'll take the over on that bet any day of the week. And a sweep? I think you're drinking drano there.

OK, let's bet.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone is packing the spurs over pacers/heat. The spurs didn't face a competent 8th seed much like years past and they squeked by an unhealthy warriors team and could have easily lost that series. And finally they should have been playing Okc not Memphis.
Right now in the east you have two healthy teams facin each other, although there are year long problems like wade and grangers health.

Wade's health is a HUGE issue, and it is much more significant now than it was during the Heat's 28-game win streak. In February and March, Wade averaged 23ppg on 54% shooting from the field, respectively. He also averaged 2.5 steals and 5.7 assists per game.

Take a second to reflect on those numbers. Can you recall a guard in the last 20 years outside of Michael Jordan and Penny Hardaway who have put up numbers like that? Not Kobe. Not TMac. Not Tony Parker, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, AI. Not anyone. Look it up.

In the playoffs, Wade has averaged 14.3 points points on 46% shooting. That's a tremendous drop in production. Wade missed an uncontested fast break layup on Tuesday. He isn't slithering through the defense like he did all season. Competition is also more intense in the playoffs, but this fact makes Wade's drop in production even more severe, because Wade is a guy who always picks up his level of play in the post-season. So, when other guys are struggling to get the looks they're accustomed to, Wade has been the guy to pick up the slack. And I very much doubt Birdman is going to shoot 100% from the field against the Spurs.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Heat don't need to win 28 in a row. They just need to win four out of seven. The Heat don't need Wade to beat the Spurs.