Spurs@Suns game thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, first time I've ever started a game thread. Feel free to post the matchups etc.

I want to win this game. But I don't want to win it bad enough to put Nash on the court with a healing ankle. It looks like Amare won't be ready yet either.

I would LOVE to win this game without Amare or Steve.

There is NO strategic reason to win this game. I think its pretty well established that we do not WANT the #1 seed. Although having the homecourt throughout the WC playoffs would be nice.

The common word concerning the Suns among Dallas and Spurs fans is "overrated." I really love that. I hope the teams buy into it too.

We are so much better equipped defensively to deal with the Spurs this year. Raja, KT, and Boris (whose defense is way underrated), will make a huge difference.

jibikao

Reaction score
I think we'll lose a CLOSE game. I think Spurs will take lightly on our role players but in the 4th quarter, they'll get their arse together and finish the game off.

I don't think Nash will play and I don't think he should.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So assuming Nash is going to be out, how will the starting lineup and rotation change?

PG Barbosa
SG Bell
SF TT
PF Marion
C Diaw

with the offense primarily running through Diaw? Also, I wonder if Andre Barret will get a little more burn now that Nash is hurt.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
chiunit said:
So assuming Nash is going to be out, how will the starting lineup and rotation change?

PG Barbosa
SG Bell
SF TT
PF Marion
C Diaw

with the offense primarily running through Diaw? Also, I wonder if Andre Barret will get a little more burn now that Nash is hurt.

Can Barrett play defense?

HooverDam

Reaction score
chiunit said:
PG Barbosa
SG Bell
SF TT
PF Marion
C Diaw

Whew- thats looking pretty thin. Even as bad as he was playing, it would be nice to have JJax right now. House, Tskita and Burke are going to end up playing a lot of minutes while Nash and Jones are out, hope they can come up big.

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
The Clippers actually jumped out to a quick lead against the Spurs tonight before the game evened out. LA's doing much better in the second half though, and San Antonio's trailing by 15 pts right now (partway through the fourth).

I don't know why, but San Antonio is having trouble rebounding the ball against LA. Duncan was poked in the eye in his last game, so that might be affecting his game a little. It probably won't carry over to Thursday, though (unfortunately).

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
kaesile said:
The Clippers actually jumped out to a quick lead against the Spurs tonight before the game evened out. LA's doing much better in the second half though, and San Antonio's trailing by 15 pts right now (partway through the fourth).

I don't know why, but San Antonio is having trouble rebounding the ball against LA. Duncan was poked in the eye in his last game, so that might be affecting his game a little. It probably won't carry over to Thursday, though (unfortunately).

The Clippers are the 6th ranked team in the NBA in rebounding differential, with San Antonio 10th.

jibikao

Reaction score
I noticed Duncan didn't play that much. A lot of players played 20ish mins.

Were they saving energy for the TNT game?

I hope they put Nash on the injury list!!!! The more they want the win, the less we give them. They want to have mental advantage over us if we are somewhat "ready" for the game. If we don't have Nash and we lost, I don't think they gain any mental advantage at all. The worst is if we lost in a close game and that will only give us more confidence when Nash/Amare come back.

What's the chance of Nash playing tomorrow?

sunsfn

Reaction score
jibikao said:
I noticed Duncan didn't play that much. A lot of players played 20ish mins.

Were they saving energy for the TNT game?

Duncan was in foul trouble and had to sit.

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
jibikao said:
I hope they put Nash on the injury list!!!! The more they want the win, the less we give them. They want to have mental advantage over us if we are somewhat "ready" for the game.

I think you might mean the inactive list, since the NBA doesn't use the injured list anymore. Because a player can be inactive all the way up to gametime, there's really no point in using it as a psychological tool. And I really don't think the Suns need to be getting into that kind of mind game with the Spurs anyway. If Nash can play, let him. If he can't, he sits. Pretty simple. Even if he can play, D'Antoni should just be sure that he doesn't reaggravate the injury (limit his minutes or something).

Judging from the fact that he was able to walk on his own (and felt that he could return to the game), I would guess that Nash is at least 50-50 on playing. There's a real risk of reinjury, but he's had a few days to treat the sprain. I'm sure if it were the playoffs, he would play, but there are a lot of reasons for him to sit the game out.

jibikao

Reaction score
kaesile said:
I think you might mean the inactive list, since the NBA doesn't use the injured list anymore. Because a player can be inactive all the way up to gametime, there's really no point in using it as a psychological tool. And I really don't think the Suns need to be getting into that kind of mind game with the Spurs anyway. If Nash can play, let him. If he can't, he sits. Pretty simple. Even if he can play, D'Antoni should just be sure that he doesn't reaggravate the injury (limit his minutes or something).

Judging from the fact that he was able to walk on his own (and felt that he could return to the game), I would guess that Nash is at least 50-50 on playing. There's a real risk of reinjury, but he's had a few days to treat the sprain. I'm sure if it were the playoffs, he would play, but there are a lot of reasons for him to sit the game out.
The news said Nash's injury is alright. Well, I just think we CAN afford losing to Spurs without Nash and Spurs did it to us last year when they took out Duncan and Manu to let them rest more.

Losing to Spurs is not a good feeling and it puts a lot of pressure on the team. I am not saying even with Nash we will win but why putting us into a bad situation when we can avoid and avoid without any big consequences? It's not like we are going to be #1 team easily and even though Clips won the game last night, I think we are still very comfortable at #2.

With Spurs' physical defense, you don't think Pop would tell them to be even more physical with Nash to make him regret playing? Let's hope I am wrong and Nash doesn't get worse with that ankle injury.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
jibikao said:
With Spurs' physical defense, you don't think Pop would tell them to be even more physical with Nash to make him regret playing? Let's hope I am wrong and Nash doesn't get worse with that ankle injury.

i think pop is a whiny SOB, but no, i don't think he'd instruct his team to beat a guy up like that.

jibikao

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i think pop is a whiny SOB, but no, i don't think he'd instruct his team to beat a guy up like that.
He doesn't have to, you are right. But they do play physical defense regardless.

After thinking about it, our guys may just win the game without Nash and that's even better! They are so strong that I think anything can happen. :thumbup:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

Do you mean more than usual?

For the Suns to beat the Spurs, Diaw has to have a monster game. That is the one matchup the Spurs are likely to have a problem with.

As a rule, the key to the Spurs is their pressure defense which stays on top of opponent's shooters. They make it hard to run any kind of offense and it challenges opponents to beat them off the dribble with the knowledge that Duncan and their other big is back to block shots.

If there is a weakness in the Spurs approach it is that it puts an awful lot of pressure on Duncan since they don't give him much help. Last night Brand scored 30 and Duncan got into foul trouble.

The Spurs overall defensive scheme has been extremely effective at covering over Duncan's foot problems. However, on Thur he gets another big challenge at stopping Diaw. Smaller, quicker guys have struggled guarding Diaw and Duncan is not as quick as he used to be. This means that Diaw will be left open at the elbow most of the time.

There is no doubt that the Spurs have an extremely tough defense, but the Suns have an offense that is pretty tough as well. It should be an interesting matchup.

nowagimp

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Do you mean more than usual?

For the Suns to beat the Spurs, Diaw has to have a monster game. That is the one matchup the Spurs are likely to have a problem with.

As a rule, the key to the Spurs is their pressure defense which stays on top of opponent's shooters. They make it hard to run any kind of offense and it challenges opponents to beat them off the dribble with the knowledge that Duncan and their other big is back to block shots.

If there is a weakness in the Spurs approach it is that it puts an awful lot of pressure on Duncan since they don't give him much help. Last night Brand scored 30 and Duncan got into foul trouble.

The Spurs overall defensive scheme has been extremely effective at covering over Duncan's foot problems. However, on Thur he gets another big challenge at stopping Diaw. Smaller, quicker guys have struggled guarding Diaw and Duncan is not as quick as he used to be. This means that Diaw will be left open at the elbow most of the time.

There is no doubt that the Spurs have an extremely tough defense, but the Suns have an offense that is pretty tough as well. It should be an interesting matchup.

Good analysis, I also think Diaw will be the key. I am also concerned that Parker will be even more active than usual to make the suns double frequently to cover for Nashs bum ankle. Pop will do this, I think(target Nashs defense). For this reason, I like barbosa guarding Parker if Nashs ankle limits his mobility. I think I remember Nash guarding Bowen last spurs game anyway. It will be tough for Steve to create against parker with a hurt ankle.

jibikao

Reaction score
nowagimp said:
Good analysis, I also think Diaw will be the key. I am also concerned that Parker will be even more active than usual to make the suns double frequently to cover for Nashs bum ankle. Pop will do this, I think(target Nashs defense). For this reason, I like barbosa guarding Parker if Nashs ankle limits his mobility. I think I remember Nash guarding Bowen last spurs game anyway. It will be tough for Steve to create against parker with a hurt ankle.

Who guards Parker the best on the team? I thought Matrix? I actually think Matrix can probably guard Parker the best with his long arm and speedy. Paker may have trouble doing "randow shot" on him than any of our defenders.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Who guards Parker the best on the team? I thought Matrix? I actually think Matrix can probably guard Parker the best with his long arm and speedy. Paker may have trouble doing "randow shot" on him than any of our defenders.

Parker won't be guarded by Shawn Marion.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Whoever guards Parker needs to back off him and make him shoot jumpers. Parker shoots only 23.1% for three and averages fewer assists per game than Boris. His real importance is that he gets into the paint and is very effectve shooting over big guys.

jibikao

Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Yeah, I don't think Shawn will guard Parker but who can really guard Parker on our team? I know it's not Nash, Barbosa and even Joe Johnson couldn't really guard him.

Like George said, the best way is to back off as much as possible to force Parker to shoot from outside.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shawn Marion and Tim Thomas are both sick with the flu and are questionable (maybe probable) for tomorrow.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Rainbow?

Yes. A "rainbow shot" is for people who don't like beer. You mix together small amounts of a bunch of different-colored sodas and fruit drinks, then chug it.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Rainbow?

Yes. A "rainbow shot" is for people who don't like beer. You mix together small amounts of a bunch of different-colored sodas and fruit drinks, then chug it.
:biglaugh:

fordronken

Reaction score
Worst Case Scenario

If everyone who's a "maybe" doesn't play, here's what it would look like:

Out
Steve Nash-- Ankle
Amare Stoudemire-- Knee
Shawn Marion-- Flu
Kurt Thomas-- Foot
Brian Grant-- Knee
Tim Thomas-- Flu
James Jones-- Various
Dijon Thompson-- Knee
Nikoloz Tskitishvilli-- Ankle

In
Leandro Barbosa
Eddie House
Raja Bell
Pat Burke
Andre Barrett
Boris Diaw

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fordronken said:
If everyone who's a "maybe" doesn't play, here's what it would look like:

Out
Steve Nash-- Ankle
Amare Stoudemire-- Knee
Shawn Marion-- Flu
Kurt Thomas-- Foot
Brian Grant-- Knee
Tim Thomas-- Flu
James Jones-- Various
Dijon Thompson-- Knee
Nikoloz Tskitishvilli-- Ankle

In
Leandro Barbosa
Eddie House
Raja Bell
Pat Burke
Andre Barrett
Boris Diaw

This is a "worst case" scenerio. I expect Marion and TT to play, but their minutes may be limited if they really are feeling bad. I'm more concerned as to whether Nash will play before he should.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05