Stadium Name??

BOLDIN

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Has the stadium been named yet. I think a red company like Mountain Dew Code Red or Coca-Cola would be cool.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In the age of stupid corporate names, I hope like hell it will be named "Cardinal's Stadium". That sounds F-in sweet!

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I keep saying this, but it's becoming more and more apparent that the eventual name will be:

[Sponsor's Name] Field at Cardinals Stadium.

Whoever the sponsor is or will be.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I know Im going to get flamed for this but....

I think a lot of corporate sponsors probably don't want to be associated with a perennial loser. Of course we all think the Cardinals are about to turn it around, but that is a big risk for a company.

Also, I think companies may be starting to realize they dont get much bang for their buck on these sponsorships. The names change so often, and are often avoided all together. Furthermore, does anyone watch a game from The Toyota Center and think "damn, I need a Camry?"

OP
OP
BOLDIN

BOLDIN

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i understand that but this stadium is going to host the Superbowl, the Fiesta Bowl every year, and maybe even a future NCAA bball tournament, so I am sure some company would want that sort of advertising.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
I know Im going to get flamed for this but....

I think a lot of corporate sponsors probably don't want to be associated with a perennial loser. Of course we all think the Cardinals are about to turn it around, but that is a big risk for a company.

Also, I think companies may be starting to realize they dont get much bang for their buck on these sponsorships. The names change so often, and are often avoided all together. Furthermore, does anyone watch a game from The Toyota Center and think "damn, I need a Camry?"

I actually agree with this to some degree. I think the Cards unpopularity throughout the land (notwithstanding our offseason and the more favorable regard we see these days in the Valley) is going to be a consideration. At the same time it should be offset to some extent by the fact, the sponsor will get their name on a stadium with the 08 superbowl, a stadium in the BCS, the upcoming college championship game, a stadium that will be in the superbowl rotation, etc. In time, someone is going to want that. I think its going to take longer than this first year to land the sponsor. Its my understanding Tennessee just found a new sponsor for their field after several years of not having one. I see that happening here also. I could be wrong but the closer we get to the season, my feeling on this is getting stronger. If someone is going to fork out all that dough you'd think they'd do so, well before the actual opening of the stadium so they get to ride the momentum and be part of all the hype around its opening. I'm really starting to like the sound of Cardinals Stadium.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stadium Name??
First choice: "Spot."

Followed by "Ralph", "Arnie" and "Scooter"

(Seriously, I'm still holding out for "Tillman Field").

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BOLDIN said:
Has the stadium been named yet. I think a red company like Mountain Dew Code Red or Coca-Cola would be cool.

Just a hunch, but I think Pepsi wouldn't put up $80 million to advertise an off-brand of a drink that's not even their main product.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BOLDIN said:
i understand that but this stadium is going to host the Superbowl, the Fiesta Bowl every year, and maybe even a future NCAA bball tournament, so I am sure some company would want that sort of advertising.

You are absolutely right. A corporate sponsor will be named soon and there will be a big promotion. Having your company's name associated with these events and the best football stadium in the NFL is worth big bucks. Don't kid yourself, the deal has already been struck. The timing will be just before the preseason opener.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
I think a lot of corporate sponsors probably don't want to be associated with a perennial loser.

Ford Field (Detroit Lions)
Pepsi Center (Denver Nuggets)
MCI Center (Formerly USAir Arena, Washington Wizards/Bullets)
Ameriquest Field (Texas Rangers)

The stadium that hosts the Fiesta Bowl every year will easily find a sponsor.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Lloydian said:

Sorry but none of those teams losing ways really compares to the Cardinals. I can think back and remember good renditions of those teams, whereas the Cardinals (with the exception of the 1 playoff year) have been horrible forever it seems.

Also, like I said in my first post, I just think corporations are being more cautious with buying naming rights now adays, questioning the returns.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd guess that the Cards could've had a sponsor by now, but that Mike Bidwill is holding firm on his price. If it takes a few more months to get it, they will wait.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
On another note...

What's the deal with the grey seats??? :D

I thought everyone knew that they were put in to match the facemasks? :deadhorse2:

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am sure it's just waiting on the terms $/year. Losing has nothing to do with it, Phoenix is a huge market with a potential fan base to sell out every year.

aztreeman

Reaction score
i am thinking that there should be absolutely no problem finding someone to pony up the money to put there companys name on the sweetest stadium in the league.......

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Lloydian said:

Interesting choices there.

The Ford family owns the Lions, so easy connection there. The Pepsi Center is also the home of the recent Stanley Cup winning Avalanche. That's like pointing out the United Center in Chicago as the home of the Blackhawks and ignoring that the Bulls play there, too. IIRC, the MCI Center was named somewhere in the ballpark of MJ's involvement with the team, plus DC is a hell of a market.

I don't disagree that the team's performance on the field will have some effect on the negotiations at least, but I'm not sure these were the best examples out there. Maybe Philips Arena in Atlanta (Hawks/Thrashers), PNC Park in Pittsburgh (Pirates), or Qualcomm in SD (Chargers/Padres before Petco) would be more similar examples from a performance standpoint, but there may very well be some behind the scenes connections on these naming deals as well.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
On the MCI Center name: before MCI took over, USAir had the naming rights long before the arrival of MJ.

My only real point is that the success of the team has little impact on name sponsorship. Heck, Wells Fargo ponied up money to sponsor ASU basketball. The Cards will have a naming deal at some point, and any delay is likely for negotiating purposes. I'm glad they haven't signed with the first salesman to come to the door.