Star Wars: The Acolyte (Disney+)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that shows used to have a chance to catch their legs, but not in that price range. That had the budget of a movie.

Rome on HBO was a brilliant show in it's first season, the critics loved it, but it was really expensive and got cancelled before the 2nd season was done filming, it cost too much and the ratings were not good enough... resulting in the 2nd season being rushed, cheep, trash.

This show had putrid ratings, bad reviews and was crazy expensive. It was doomed.

I don't think it's the "woke" stuff that killed this show, but more that they kinda pooped on the lore of star wars (which turned off the core fan base) and that the writing was bad, and therefore didn't bring in new viewers.

Disney rushed a lot of trash in recent years with the rights to Star Wars and has done huge damage to the brand. The Book of Boba Fett was highly anticipated and it was absolutely awful. They really need to tone down the release schedule. The first season of the Mandalorain was great, the 2nd season was okay, the 3rd was rough, Andor was phenomenal, this show stunk.

They have a similar problem with their marvel products, a severe lack of quality control. It's very boom or bust for them. They either have some high concept thing that really works on multiple levels or they're just throwing something together and hoping it has some sort of broad appeal despite obviously being of low quality.

I hope they're taking their time with Andor, I think it's one of the best things they've put out since they got the rights, but given how little they understand their audience and how rushed their concepts seem to be... I am aprehensive.
I think one of the main issue is Iger is determined to cut costs. He told the board that was one of the big selling points of holding off the attempted takeover of the board. He already announced fewer projects the Entertainment division would work on at once. That means is something is not a hit out of the gate? It's likely gone. Plus Disney+ just posted it's first profit ever this last quarter. I think he is determined to keep Disney+ profitable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that shows used to have a chance to catch their legs, but not in that price range. That had the budget of a movie.

Rome on HBO was a brilliant show in it's first season, the critics loved it, but it was really expensive and got cancelled before the 2nd season was done filming, it cost too much and the ratings were not good enough... resulting in the 2nd season being rushed, cheep, trash.

This show had putrid ratings, bad reviews and was crazy expensive. It was doomed.

I don't think it's the "woke" stuff that killed this show, but more that they kinda pooped on the lore of star wars (which turned off the core fan base) and that the writing was bad, and therefore didn't bring in new viewers.

Disney rushed a lot of trash in recent years with the rights to Star Wars and has done huge damage to the brand. The Book of Boba Fett was highly anticipated and it was absolutely awful. They really need to tone down the release schedule. The first season of the Mandalorain was great, the 2nd season was okay, the 3rd was rough, Andor was phenomenal, this show stunk.

They have a similar problem with their marvel products, a severe lack of quality control. It's very boom or bust for them. They either have some high concept thing that really works on multiple levels or they're just throwing something together and hoping it has some sort of broad appeal despite obviously being of low quality.

I hope they're taking their time with Andor, I think it's one of the best things they've put out since they got the rights, but given how little they understand their audience and how rushed their concepts seem to be... I am aprehensive.
I have no doubts about Andor Season 2. Tony Gilroy is not only a genius writer, but he’s NOT a Star Wars fanboy at all, which is important and I think separates his work and tone from the rest. He comes totally detached from the lore, easter egg, fan service kinda fluff so prevalent in most of these shows. He’s just telling a killer story, with real stakes.

That’s my most anticipated show of next year. Between Skarsggard’s speech of sacrifice and Serkis’ call to action in prison, the One Way Out episode was up there with the greatest episodes peak TV’s had to offer.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I watched the first episode but couldn’t get in to it. I thought it was pretty boring and seemed predictable. I didn’t finish the series.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no doubts about Andor Season 2. Tony Gilroy is not only a genius writer, but he’s NOT a Star Wars fanboy at all, which is important and I think separates his work and tone from the rest. He comes totally detached from the lore, easter egg, fan service kinda fluff so prevalent in most of these shows. He’s just telling a killer story, with real stakes.

That’s my most anticipated show of next year. Between Skarsggard’s speech of sacrifice and Serkis’ call to action in prison, the One Way Out episode was up there with the greatest episodes peak TV’s had to offer.
I am looking forward to it but I hope the pacing is better. There were a couple episodes in that series that were "walking through the forest episodes of Walking Dead" pointless.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Andor is the best piece of Star Wars media since KOTOR imo.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I hope season 2 is good, yeah, but a 3-year break is a long time to forget about the show. I get the mitigating factors in between, but still.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser