Starks?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Originally posted by DieHardFromMO
Duane Starks signed a 5-year deal for a total of $ 23 million including a signing bonus of $ 5 million. Annual salaries I believe are $ 3.6 million($3.6x5=$18million).

If you cut him after June 1, you would be able to charge $1.5million of remaining signing bonus this year and other $1.5 million the next.

Net effect is 2004 cap savings of $3.1million I believe.

Not advocating that Starks be released, just pointing out money that could be deployed elsewhere if Starks shows that the ACL injury has significantly affected his playing skills and not worthy of such a high dollar contract.

The Cardinals seem to not have calculators in the HQ so they typicaly straight line the salary.

Using your numbers:

After June 1st, the net effect is 2.1m in savings this year (1.5m cap hit from 3.6 salary) and 2.1m next year (same numbers).

Before June 1st, the net effect is a wash IMO. 3.6m salary and a 3.0m cap hit...600k in savings.

If we can sign two quality starters in FA, he might very well be let go after June 1st. If we can't, he will be safe.

I don't see them cutting Starks, rather, adding another starter and moving Hill to the nickel. BTW, Hill would probably be the best 3rd corner in the league. Is that like the best 6th man? I guess it is in our division.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry...

Originally posted by Redheart
I just don't see it. Another good corner would only increase the number of times a defense challenged him and the ACL is NOT going to make him stronger next year.

If we had a good pass rush, then all the secondary benefits, can't argue that. I will argue there and MANY better FA CB's available for his money. I would argue there will be serveral better FA CB's available for even LESS $.

You REALLY want to spend $3.6 milliion on Starks, considering what is available next year in the FA CB markert???

This is not even a tough decision.
ACL's are not as bad as they once used to be. Recovery is alot better and alot closer to 100% nowadays. Yes it is still a scary injury, but you have to wait and see.

Didnt Boldin blowout his knee? Maybe we should think about cutting him to? (j/k)

I think any good CB will cost just as much if not very close to what Starks is making now. But I do agree we should sign one if not two of them.

If nothing else sign 2 CB's and let them battle in camp. If Starks is the third best then release him. But you cant take a chance by cutting him before you get a replacement, not to mention if he can still play.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheCardFan
The Cardinals seem to not have calculators in the HQ so they typicaly straight line the salary.

Using your numbers:

After June 1st, the net effect is 2.1m in savings this year (1.5m cap hit from 3.6 salary) and 2.1m next year (same numbers).

Before June 1st, the net effect is a wash IMO. 3.6m salary and a 3.0m cap hit...600k in savings.

If we can sign two quality starters in FA, he might very well be let go after June 1st. If we can't, he will be safe.

I don't see them cutting Starks, rather, adding another starter and moving Hill to the nickel. BTW, Hill would probably be the best 3rd corner in the league. Is that like the best 6th man? I guess it is in our division.

Starks is scheduled to count $4.6 million against the cap in 2004. The $4.6 consists of $3.6million in salary and $1 million in bonus. If he were cut after June 1, the savings would be the $3.6 million in salary and the difference between $1.5million versus $1million towards his bonus which would result in(3.6million-500,000=$3.1million).

I believe this is correct. It is late and the brain is getting foggy.