Steve Nash League MVP Again

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, well responsed post from most of the Suns fans regarding the Stockton/Nash desparity. Thanks...I think you guys made some really good points, each in a little different way. Really justifies this selection in my mind.

As for the violins and similar comments....whatever. Grow some skin...yours is far too thin.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Even though he does owe D'Antoni a new house, car and a hundred grand for the award.

If anything, D'Antoni owes his success to Nash, IMO.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Nice, well responsed post from most of the Suns fans regarding the Stockton/Nash desparity. Thanks...I think you guys made some really good points, each in a little different way. Really justifies this selection in my mind.

As for the violins and similar comments....whatever. Grow some skin...yours is far too thin.

Well basically, it comes down to competition for the award, which was much tougher 10 years ago.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
If anything, D'Antoni owes his success to Nash, IMO.

I think it's mutually beneficial. D'Antoni likes the fast, uptempo style, and Nash is the perfect PG to run his system.

I doubt either would be as successful without the other.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Nash and Coach D' are fortunate to have come together -- what a great fit -- plus Coach D' understands the point guard position from his own experience -- Nash is the PG he probably dreampt of being.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to make a comment in regard to John Stockton. I won't even touch the MVP issue and I am certainly not a Utah fan. However, I think John Stockton was a great PG and played the PG position the way it should be played. Yes, I know there is a lot of dislike for the Stockton/ Malone duo.

I even envisioned that when Nash slows down a tad, his play could evolve into a more like John Stockton's game. In fact, I was hoping Amare would be the go-to guy for Nash like Malone was to Stockton. If Amare becomes that go-to guy and D'Antoni is willing to gradually make the transition to a more half court offense, I can see Nash playing to almost the same age as Stockton (40???).

Obviously there will come a day when Nash will no longer have the speed and quickness he has now, but IMO, his decision making, passing and shooting skills should remain for many years if he remains somewhat healthy. Nash will always have that mental edge and the ability to see the court that makes a PG great.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Everyone at ESPN is starting to grumble about how they "wouldn't want to play against Kobe tonight."

Tell me, is BJ Armstrong still incredibly biased towards Phil Jackson, or is he that bad of a national sports figure now? Either way, he's a complete pr!ck.

8. What is your current forecast for the series?

Legler: I predicted the Suns would win the series in six games, and I'm sticking with it. It takes a special defensive team to beat a team as explosive as the Suns. The Lakers are an average defensive team. That will not get it done. Anyone doubting the outcome of this series does not give the Suns enough credit for being the most difficult team to prepare for in the NBA.

Broussard: Phoenix in six, maybe five. Suns with Nash are now 8-0 against L.A. (not counting the game he sat out).

Bucher: I'm going to say the Suns in seven. At the end of the day, they have too much firepower and I'm not convinced Kwame and Smush can deliver the kind of consistent performances necessary to get the Lakers over the hump. But I say that with great trepidation because Kobe has proved all year long that he, by himself, can defy logic when it comes to what the Lakers have and are.

Armstrong: Lakers in six. Because in the end, courage and the heart shall prevail over reason and logic.

Hollinger: I said Suns in seven, and that's what I'm sticking with. Kobe will make it interesting, but Phoenix has too much firepower.

Stein: I picked the Suns in five before the playoffs began, and I don't change picks after I make them.

O'Brien: Phoenix will win the series. The Lakers do not have enough weapons to win four games, and if Brown is the key, he has not shown the ability to help carry a team in the playoffs.

Perdue: Suns in six. Lakers just don't have enough firepower to beat the Suns.

Sheridan: Sticking with Suns in six, because Kobe still has two 50-point games in him before he stops wearing No. 8 (he's switching to No. 24 next season).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No big deal, he's entitled to his opinion.

Funny how pundits were lining up to predict a series upset before Game 1, and now after this impressive moral victory where Jackson showed what a coaching genius he is, all of a sudden everyone is confident that the Suns will win after all.

Also, some people seem to have incredible difficulty grasping the concept that Bryant might score 50+ points and lose anyway.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
No big deal, he's entitled to his opinion.

Funny how pundits were lining up to predict a series upset before Game 1, and now after this impressive moral victory where Jackson showed what a coaching genius he is, all of a sudden everyone is confident that the Suns will win after all.

Also, some people seem to have incredible difficulty grasping the concept that Bryant might score 50+ points and lose anyway.

I just didn't like the implication that the Suns have no courage or heart. Sort of a stupid thing to say.

just do it

Registered
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
[can of worms]

I know all Suns fans will rejoice in this one, but I'd like to see arguments on why Steve should be a two time MVP winner when a guy like Stockton (and I have much hate in my heart for Mr. Shortie Shorts) doesn't have one.

See the numbers:

John Stockton
1988-89: 17.1 ppg, 13.6 apg, 3.0 rpg, 3.2 spg for 51-31 Utah Jazz.
1989-90: 17.2 ppg, 14.5 apg, 2.6 rpg, 2.7 spg for 55-27 Utah Jazz.
1990-91: 17.2 ppg, 14.2 apg, 2.9 rpg, 2.6 spg for 54-28 Utah Jazz.
1991-92: 15.8 ppg, 13.7 apg, 3.3 rpg, 3.0 spg for 55-27 Utah Jazz

[/can of worms]

Kevin Johnson
1988-89: 20.4 ppg, 12.2 apg, 4.2 rpg 1.67 spg
1989-90: 22.5 ppg. 11.4 apg, 3.6 rpg 1.28 spg
1990-91: 22.2 ppg, 10.1 apg, 3.5 rpg 2.12 spg
1991-92: 19.7 ppg, 10.7 apg, 3.7 rpg 1.49 spg

Not to mention that KJ generally owned short pants head to head.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I just didn't like the implication that the Suns have no courage or heart. Sort of a stupid thing to say.

I thought he was talking about himself. "Logic and reason tell me it's the Suns, but my heart tells me it's the Lakers, so I'm going to have the courage to go with that." Otherwise the comment doesn't even make sense. How are the Suns, as a team, more about "logic and reason" than the Lakers?

mribnik

Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Especially considering how the Lakers are trying to break down the Suns by changing their gameplan, and the Suns managed to win the division title with 6 new players, an injury to one of the games most dominant players, and an injury to our best post defender.

Everyone says the Suns can't win with their run and gun style, yet we continue to play that way. They said at the beginning of the season we would be a playoff bubble team, yet we won 54 games. For a good portion of the season, we started a team with a 6'8" center, meaning our entire front line would have matchup problems on defense. I don't know what the hell BJ is talking about, the Suns are the epitome of courage and heart.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Then again maybe he is refering to his courage and heart and not the Lakers.

He has the courage and the heart to make bad predictions!

mribnik

Reaction score
Check out Bill Simmons from ESPN. Talk about Classy!

NS (SF, CA): Don't you think if MVP was supposed to be taken so literally that the NBA would also have an award for Most Outstanding Player? Nash is a great player in his own right, but shouldn't the MVP award be reserved for players that could also be considered the MOP? I never heard John Stockton get much consideration in the Jordan, Magic, Bird era, and Nash has far to go to even be Stockton's equal, yet he is in the MVP discussion with Kobe and Lebron. Who is to blame for this travesty?

Bill Simmons: (1:45 PM ET ) In retrospect, Stockton should have just grown out his hair and stopped playing defense - then, he could have won back-to-back MVP's. The weird thing is, even if they DID add a Most Outstanding Player, Kobe should have won that and LeBron should have won the conventional MVP. I think we need to add a Best White Player Award as well.

Bill Simmons: (1:46 PM ET ) This way, Nash could be covered.

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bill Simmons what a freakin moron he will probally get trashed for making such stupid ass comments.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Stockton, but Nash is much more creative. A huge number of Stockton's assists went to Malone, and when people tracked Malone's shots in the half-court offense, he usually shot from the same few spots on the floor. The reason that the Jazz traditionally underachieved in the playoffs was that their offense got way too predictable in crunch time. The Suns have that problem too, but not to the same degree.

I'm not saying that Nash is a better player than Stockton was, but if you put Stockton in his prime on this year's Suns team instead of Nash, the team would not be as good.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
By the way, hasn't Simmons gotten into bed with Cuban recently? I seem to remember some connection of some sort. That could explain his disdain for Nash.

jibikao

Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
there are 3 reason why nash gets over twice while stockton didnt get it. first of all looking at the way the game is played today nash's play brings back the selfless play of the old days when point guards were pass first something that has been lacking in todays point guards of score first, score second and then see if i can find someone to pass to as the clock runs down. during stocktons time in the nba there were a number of guards who were ringing up 10 assist a game. thomas, magic, kj, and mark jackson all had 10 plus assist seasons during that time so it wasnt that rare then, now it is almost unheard of.

second stockton played with what a lot of people would say is the best power forward of all time in malone (personally i like barkley better), nash has marion, while i love marion for every little thing he does lets just say he is no malone.

the last things is the players that nash is going up agianst for the mvp award, kobe, dirk, billups, and labron vs. stockton going up against the dream, jordan, barkley, malone, david robinson, magic johnson and larry bird. lets face facts those are some of the best all time players ever for stockton to fight against while nash is having to go agianst players who make the top 50 in the nba but then again they may not.

those 3 things along with the simple fact that nash makes his teammates better something that the others dont do that, no matter how great their personally abilities makes it so that nash was handed his second mvp award.

all hale the king, thanks for letting ride along with you nash. :notworthy

Exactly. Comparison is the biggest reason. Malone probably stole half of Stockton's votes.

Nash's biggest rival last season was an old Shaq, injured Duncan and Lebron and Kobe, whose teams weren't even in the playoffs. KG was out of picture too. It really didn't surprise me when Nash won it.

This season is quite surprising to me. I thought Kobe or Lebron would win it. Too bad both of their teams are worse than his. If Kobe's team is the division lead, I bet he'll get it.

I believe this is the last MVP chance for Nash. Good god, two MVPs in a row. Holy. Nash better brings more tonight!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm not saying that Nash is a better player than Stockton was, but if you put Stockton in his prime on this year's Suns team instead of Nash, the team would not be as good.
Maybe not offensively, but Stockton was easily the superior defensive player.

jibikao

Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Nash and Coach D' are fortunate to have come together -- what a great fit -- plus Coach D' understands the point guard position from his own experience -- Nash is the PG he probably dreampt of being.

I agree. I think coach D benefits just as much from Nash. Both of them just fit so well. The way I think is basketball is a Team basketball and team needs a "system" to succeed. Our system just fits Nash so well.

jibikao

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Maybe not offensively, but Stockton was easily the superior defensive player.

Actually, "dirtier" defensive player. I used to follow Stockton. He and Malone really know all the little tricks. But I agree, Nash should learn how to use some tricks since he doesn't have the speed and power to defend.