Stewart Mandell - Overrated and Underrated

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I just looked up all the scoring plays for Texas this last year. The reason RW didn't have the number of TD passes that Fitz or Mike Williams, or even Rashaun Woods did, is because of Cedric Benson and Vince Young. Benson had 16 Td's of under 10 yds, Young added 6 Td's of under 10 yds. UT didn't even try to pass inside the 10 yd line. I'd like to see a list of Fitz's TD catches, if I remember correctly someone brought up that the majority of them were inside the 10 (I'll do some research and find out the exact numbers). But I do know that Pitt didn't have the running game of Cedric Benson and Vince Young.

RW had TD's of 13, 15, 18, and 26, all the rest were over 30 yds out.

Ok, Fitz had 10 TD's from inside the 10, almost half. His TD passes were 7, 10, 54, 37, 26, 9, 34, 5, 49, 23, 4, 43, 26, 3, 7, 35, 5, 23, 45, 7, 3, and 18. In addition, Pittsburgh as a team had 12 rushing TDs for the season, Texas had 41. If RW would have played in the Pitt offense he would have put up at least as good if not better numbers than Fitz, IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
HookemCards said:

There's serious talk of Williams going to the Raiders at #2. Although it pains me to say this, I still think Rashuan Woods of OSU is better. He caught 101 passes in his junior year. He is just an unbelievable playmaker.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
HookemCards said:
I just looked up all the scoring plays for Texas this last year. The reason RW didn't have the number of TD passes that Fitz or Mike Williams, or even Rashaun Woods did, is because of Cedric Benson and Vince Young. Benson had 16 Td's of under 10 yds, Young added 6 Td's of under 10 yds. UT didn't even try to pass inside the 10 yd line. I'd like to see a list of Fitz's TD catches, if I remember correctly someone brought up that the majority of them were inside the 10 (I'll do some research and find out the exact numbers). But I do know that Pitt didn't have the running game of Cedric Benson and Vince Young.

Ok, Fitz had 10 TD's from inside the 10, almost half. His TD passes were 7, 10, 54, 37, 26, 9, 34, 5, 49, 23, 4, 43, 26, 3, 7, 35, 5, 23, 45, 7, 3, and 18. In addition, Pittsburgh as a team had 12 rushing TDs for the season, Texas had 41. If RW would have played in the Pitt offense he would have put up at least as good if not better numbers than Fitz, IMHO.

The other way to look at it is that Roy is not nearly the threat that Fitz is inside of the 10. If Roy could make the plays the way Fitz does, he would have been a bigger option inside the 10.

It says more about Williams that his team didn't throw to him inside the 10 than it says about the school's system. Fitz got those short TDs because they knew you just had to throw it in his direction and he'll catch it. That is why he is the best receiver in this draft. Bar none.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
lrk27 said:
The other way to look at it is that Roy is not nearly the threat that Fitz is inside of the 10. If Roy could make the plays the way Fitz does, he would have been a bigger option inside the 10.

It says more about Williams that his team didn't throw to him inside the 10 than it says about the school's system. Fitz got those short TDs because they knew you just had to throw it in his direction and he'll catch it. That is why he is the best receiver in this draft. Bar none.

Actually it just shows that Mack Brown would rather run it inside the 10. Every "expert" i've read has ageed the the Horn offense was terribly conservative given the talent they had at wide reciever. It also may say that Mack Brown wasn't as confident in his RS freshman's ability to get the ball into a spot that close in, why risk it when CB is money inside the 10.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
This guy is way off on his LB analysis IMO. Wiley won't be able to do much at all in the pro game, you can mask his deficiencies in college maybe. He is an effort man, but come on he is not an NFL starting player, and if you're not a starter, you MUST be a special teams player, something he isn't either.

And their bash on Vilma is weak to say the least. The guy will be in the pro-bowl, oh he's benefiting from Ray Lewis. Poppycock!

Also Kelly Butler is a fantastic athlete, I don't think any team is going to have a problem taking him in the 2nd round, and developing him into a Marvel Smith type OT, as that's the type of player who I think he has a chance to become. Hogwash on him being overrated.

And I'm not even going to touch the Manning tidbit.
Would he be considered the No. 1 overall pick with any other last name? I highly doubt it.
Just selling papers. /sigh :hulk:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What do the Eli fans think about what he said about Eli?
Very interesting stuff isn't it?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
lrk27 said:

i think that's a bad argument. when a team can run it in, they do so. much safer. texas' ability to run the ball in is the reason roy didn't get short td's, not because of his lack of ability.

that said, i'd still prefer fitz over roy.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article seems so forced to me. I get the feeling that an editor told him to write an article like this, and he just plugged some names in. He may be right on some of his perceptions, but it just seems to me to be a controversial article, that S I uses to sell fleece sweatshirts, I mean magazines.

P.S. Isn't he the guy who is the stand up comedian from Canada who blows up latex gloves pulled over his head and does that totally obnoxious " Bobby " voice?

Last edited: