Still nothing about signing our Draft Picks?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything on the Cardinals signing or trying to sign our top 2 draft picks ?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything on the Cardinals signing or trying to sign our top 2 draft picks ?
LOLOLOL.

Dude - Have you heard anything about ANY team (other than the Bengs before the draft) signing or trying to sign their 1st round picks?

Right now, the top priority is getting Pace and Johnson's agents to agree on modified injury-waiver language that would let them participate in mini-camp practices before their final contracts are final.

After that, the Cards will have to contend with (a) everyone signing their lower picks and then backing into what they have left for the first round and (b) slotting - i.e. using what teams above you and below you are paying for their picks to channel how much you'll pay your pick(s) and, in some cases seeing what teams in similar draft slots paid last year .

And once that's been worked out, the fun begins: Voidables, deferred compensation and other "creative wrinkles" that the Bidwills hate.

With a bit of luck, maybe one or both deals will get done before Labor Day

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Actually, I do recall that a team other than the Bengals were beginning negotiations. I can't remember who it was. It surprised me, as NFL teams are known to be slow, lazy and generally stupid in waiting sooooo long to even start talking about signing first round picks. Gee, and they wonder why they end up with first round holdouts. I wonder why?

AZ1766

Veteran
Reaction score
It would be great for AZ to be the first to sign players and let the rest of the teams worry about slotting and such..... maybe,, just for once.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
Actually, I do recall that a team other than the Bengals were beginning negotiations. I can't remember who it was. It surprised me, as NFL teams are known to be slow, lazy and generally stupid in waiting sooooo long to even start talking about signing first round picks. Gee, and they wonder why they end up with first round holdouts. I wonder why?

I think it was Clayton talking about the Jets, I heard it too but it is still very rare, everybody wants to hang on to that signing bonus money as long as they can.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
This is ridiculous!

Sign them now, regardless of what the rest of the league is up too.

Be a trailblazer for a change, instead of a lemming!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you do the math on compounded interest, keeping 2 million bucks in a bank with a high yielding interest could earn $500-700 a day :thumbup:

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
This is ridiculous!

Sign them now, regardless of what the rest of the league is up too.

Be a trailblazer for a change, instead of a lemming!

Easy to say when it's not your money.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
Who cares.

I was only refering to this.

Originally posted by JeffGollin
Dude - Have you heard anything about ANY team (other than the Bengs before the draft) signing or trying to sign their 1st round picks?

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
I wish the NFL would add a "Player signing deadline". Make the Date before training camp starts. Let's say July 20th.

The idea would be to force the teams and the players to make a deal before training camp. Right now, the way it is, the season starting puts pressure on the teams to get the players to sign, while missing paychecks puts pressure on the agents/players to sign.

Why have that pressure not start until the 1st game of the season? I think most teams would like the idea of a July 20th signing deadline because they would be able to get thier players into camp. I think the NFLPA would like it as players would get their signing bonuses 1 month earlier. Most rookies actaully want to be in training camp, so they can learn the system, so I don't expect the objection to be "I want to miss a few days of 2-a-days".

So, my questions is :

What penalty would put pressure on the teams to sign?
Going back into the draft would be too large a penalty. Something lesser to start with.

What penalty would forced the player/agents to sign?

The idea would be that both penalties would be fair for both sides. Start mild and esclate up as the season approachs.

---------------------------------------
Maybe I have it all wrong. I don't want to be the Cardinals Future GM, I want to be the future NFL commish.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by AntSports Steve
I wish the NFL would add a "Player signing deadline". Make the Date before training camp starts. Let's say July 20th.

The idea would be to force the teams and the players to make a deal before training camp. Right now, the way it is, the season starting puts pressure on the teams to get the players to sign, while missing paychecks puts pressure on the agents/players to sign.

Why have that pressure not start until the 1st game of the season? I think most teams would like the idea of a July 20th signing deadline because they would be able to get thier players into camp. I think the NFLPA would like it as players would get their signing bonuses 1 month earlier. Most rookies actaully want to be in training camp, so they can learn the system, so I don't expect the objection to be "I want to miss a few days of 2-a-days".

So, my questions is :

What penalty would put pressure on the teams to sign?
Going back into the draft would be too large a penalty. Something lesser to start with.

What penalty would forced the player/agents to sign?

The idea would be that both penalties would be fair for both sides. Start mild and esclate up as the season approachs.

What about a $10,000/day fine for the team and a $5,000/day fine for the player? All team fines go to the "TV money" pool to be devided up between the rest of the teams and the player fines go to the players union. Of course this only works for 1st and maybe 2nd rounders.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Thanx

Cool, I never knew it was common place to "take your time" sigining draft picks. You gotta remember the only offseason I have ever paid any attention to is the ones I simulate on Madden.
So if that is how it is done then I will sit back and wait impatiently.
On the other hand if they want PACE to be such a huge part of the team for the upcoming season they should sign him and start working with him now!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cool, I never knew it was common place to "take your time" sigining draft picks. You gotta remember the only offseason I have ever paid any attention to is the ones I simulate on Madden.
You're starting to get dribs and drabs of draft signings - For example, KC just signed Willie Pile and Julian Battle (both late round picks)

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
If you do the math on compounded interest, keeping 2 million bucks in a bank with a high yielding interest could earn $500-700 a day :thumbup:

That's enough to cover Bidwill's maid and chef!!!

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Re: Thanx

Originally posted by RugbyMuffin

On the other hand if they want PACE to be such a huge part of the team for the upcoming season they should sign him and start working with him now!

Of all the 1st round picks, Pace should be extremely grateful to have gone as high as he did and with the public/media sentiment against him, he should be out there busting his a$$ proving them wrong with whatever waiver he is asked to sign!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05