Stoudemire for Garnett?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This isn't a "rumor," until of course people start talking about it, at which point it will instantly become one. But this article suggests that Minnesota could try to trade Garnett to the Suns for Stoudemire if Garnett makes it clear he wants out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=cnnsi-theforgottenone&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

(Scroll down to the discussion of the Timberwolves.)

I think it's utter nonsense, but I thought I'd post it just for giggles.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the Suns could make that trade right now I'd do it.

The only way Amare would have any trade value is if he makes a full recovery. If that happens why would the Suns trade him away?

jibikao

Reaction score
This is a tough one...

KG is a great all-around player but I just can't picture him cooperating with Nash. But you know what, you never know until you put them together. Two MVPs together. I think I'll accept it for now.

But I think the chance of this happening is SLIM... Amare is too much of a risk now. If I were the GM, I wouldn't make the trade next season. It's way too season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garnett turns age 30 next May.

In thinking about such a trade (just for fun), I guess it all depends upon whether Amare will completely recover and how many years does each player have left in the tank.

If Amare did not have the knee problems it would be a no brainer due to the age difference.

Anyway, I don't think it's going to happen.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Amare is 23 years, he WILL recover, it may not be this year, by mid next season, he should be back to his old self.

KG is 30, although he will help, but Amare is a 10+ year investment... KG is about 3-4.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The problem is Garnett's salary. It will be 20 mil. next season. Since Stoudemire will be a BYC player next season the Suns would have to include Thomas and Bell to make it work under the cap.

jibikao

Reaction score
hcsilla said:
The problem is Garnett's salary. It will be 20 mil. next season. Since Stoudemire will be a BYC player next season the Suns would have to include Thomas and Bell to make it work under the cap.

I do not want to lose Bell. I think he is a perfect fit for the team.

Speaking about Bell, I've noticed that he drove in a lot more tonight against the Lakers. I like the adjustment because he can't always live on his 3pt every game. He was playing like an all-star during the winning streak when he could hit so many 3pt shots but he's been too inconsistent in his shooting lately. I like it that he is driving inside more to create more opportunities.

We should also keep KT.

RON ARTEST

Reaction score
that would be a very stupid trade. o by the way im a new member here whats up guys im a huge kings fan but i love the way you guys play.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
"utter nonsense" is a slight notch below what I'm actually thinking, but I can live with that.

By the way, the article resurrects the good ol' "Garnett for the-guy-with-the-strange-shooting-motion" trade rumor.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just look at what Amare did on his first night back when he really wasn't able to jump or move very well.

Now realize that he WILL recover, much like Randolph has, only he's way better than Randolph.

He'll be fine, he's young, and I say we stick with him.

Mike

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
What I found most interesting was that Amare or Shawn were considered for the trade for Garnett. Does this mean that both are seen as equals to Garnett? Or at least it means that Minnesota sees both Amare and Shawn in similar light. To me, that is the real story here.

10 months ago, I would have thought that was crazy talk.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Or at least it means that Minnesota sees both Amare and Shawn in similar light. To me, that is the real story here.

There is no story. It's one columnist talking out of his ass. That was sort of the point of my post.

jibikao

Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
What I found most interesting was that Amare or Shawn were considered for the trade for Garnett. Does this mean that both are seen as equals to Garnett? Or at least it means that Minnesota sees both Amare and Shawn in similar light. To me, that is the real story here.

10 months ago, I would have thought that was crazy talk.

I think if KG really wants out of T-Wolves, the team has no option but to trade him. KG said early in the season that he won't leave but after this season, I am not so sure.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilalum said:
If the Suns could make that trade right now I'd do it.

The only way Amare would have any trade value is if he makes a full recovery. If that happens why would the Suns trade him away?

Amare has HUGE trade value--even right now. Maybe as much as any player in the league. But he WILL be back and we don't want to trade him.

Shawn for Garnett is something you'd have to think about though. The primary reason would be for the bigger defender. Right now, with KT out, its obvious that our weak spot is interior defense. Garnett is a very good interior defender, while Shawn is better on the wings.

Shawn has been remarkably healthy and a great warrior for us. In the end, I probably wouldn't do it. The Suns have always tinkered too much. Its probably better to just keep this group together.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Shawn for Garnett is something you'd have to think about though. The primary reason would be for the bigger defender. Right now, with KT out, its obvious that our weak spot is interior defense. Garnett is a very good interior defender, while Shawn is better on the wings.

Shawn has been remarkably healthy and a great warrior for us. In the end, I probably wouldn't do it. The Suns have always tinkered too much. Its probably better to just keep this group together.

Marion and Nash are my favorite players on the Suns. However, if the Suns could trade Marion for Garnett (I think not), this would give the Suns another legitmate big man that would give Phoenix a much better chance at a Championship(s). The Suns would have to make the trade. Also Marion and Garnett are closer in age. When Marion starts to lose some of his hops, Garnett will always have the height.

Then if Amare returns healthy, the Suns would have a big athletic front line that could match up well with any team. The Suns would be a truly dominant team that would make Championship(s) probable.

However, as others have pointed out, could the Suns afford him?

The above is why I don't think it will happen.

Also I think the Wolves would want even more for Garnett. I think the Wolves would want more than role players in return like a young prospect like Diaw or Barbosa. I don't think KT and Bell would be enough unless the Wolves would accept pick(s).

I just do not see it happening, but then again, almost all great players get traded.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Marion and Nash are my favorite players on the Suns. However, if the Suns could trade Marion for Garnett (I think not), this would give the Suns another legitmate big man that would give Phoenix a much better chance at a Championship(s). The Suns would have to make the trade. Also Marion and Garnett are closer in age. When Marion starts to lose some of his hops, Garnett will always have the height.

Then if Amare returns healthy, the Suns would have a big athletic front line that could match up well with any team. The Suns would be a truly dominant team that would make Championship(s) probable.

Also I think the Wolves would want even more for Garnett. I think the Wolves would want more more than role players in return like a young prospect like Diaw or Barbosa. I don't think KT and Bell would be enough unless the Wolves would accept pick(s).

I just do not see it happening, but then again, almost all great players get traded.

Remember this rule of thumb with regard to NBA trades.

When a player wants out, his old team rarely gets what everyone thinks they should get for him.

There are very few teams that could, or would, offer more for Garnett than Marion and maybe a pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Remember this rule of thumb with regard to NBA trades.

When a player wants out, his old team rarely gets what everyone thinks they should get for him.

There are very few teams that could, or would, offer more for Garnett than Marion and maybe a pick.

If the above trade scenario were on the table and the Suns could afford Garnett, then make the trade. IMO, it's a no brainer and I really like Shawn Marion and he has proved to be an All-Star.

As the old adage goes... "you can't teach height".

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:

Also I think the Wolves would want even more for Garnett. I think the Wolves would want more than role players in return like a young prospect like Diaw or Barbosa. I don't think KT and Bell would be enough unless the Wolves would accept pick(s).

The Thought of the following lineup makes me say "holy crap."

Nash
Bell
Diaw
Amare
Garnett

I mean, really. Are you freaking kidding me? That would be incredible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
The Thought of the following lineup makes me say "holy crap."

Nash
Bell
Diaw
Amare
Garnett

I mean, really. Are you freaking kidding me? That would be incredible.

In regard to the above lineup, I think the proposed trade scenario included Bell (as well as KT and at a pick). Marion of course would be the centerpiece. The salaries would have to work under the CBA.

However, I think the Wolves would demand Diaw or minimally Barbosa as well. I don't think I would part with Diaw and I would hate to part with Barbosa. Both are potentially young stars on the rise. It's fun to kick things around but stranger things have happened.

Edit:

If the Suns extended Diaw and Barbosa this summer, one of these might replace Bell. Giving up Diaw or Barbosa instead of pick(s) might kill the trade scenario for me. I'm not sure if the math works anyway.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think i wrote a post on this exact topic about three months ago.....
and while I have never really heard it brought up nationally, i think the Suns have the most to offer with a centerpiece (Amare and Shawn), young guys, draft picks and most importantly a chance for KG to win

honestly....as of now.....I would do it

I would actually trade Amare before i trade Marion in the above scenario because i think it is a better fit with KG on the team

Last edited:
OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the Wolves trade Garnett, they will want one of two things:

1. A top-ten player, or
2. Major salary relief and prospects.

They almost certainly won't get #1. But they can get #2. They'd trade Garnett for some huge expiring contract plus some promising young guys and picks. For instance, Orlando could offer Hill, Milicic, Nelson, and picks. The Knicks could offer Houston, Frye, Lee, and picks for Garnett and Mark Blount. The Grizzlies could offer Eddie Jones, Mike Miller, Warrick and picks for Garnett and Blount, although that package doesn't seem too appealing. But something along those lines.

Everyone says that the Lakers didn't get much for O'Neal, and that's true. But they did get a young big man with star potential (Odom), a highly tradeable asset (Butler), and salary relief (Grant). Butler turned into Brown and they have cap space in a couple of years, so it could still turn out to be a very good deal for them. The Suns' trade of Marbury was similar.

If Garnett is going to be traded, the Wolves will look at each option and ask themselves not "Does this make us better?" but "Can this make us much better, if things go right?" And a Marion/Bell package, with both players' contracts going on forever, just doesn't pass that test -- unless the Suns were also to include the high Atlanta pick, which they wouldn't do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
If Garnett is going to be traded, the Wolves will look at each option and ask themselves not "Does this make us better?" but "Can this make us much better, if things go right?" And a Marion/Bell package, with both players' contracts going on forever, just doesn't pass that test -- unless the Suns were also to include the high Atlanta pick, which they wouldn't do.

The Atlanta pick would not kill the deal for me as I'm tired of gambling on the future. It would be just the Suns luck for the Hawks to draft a good PG and be vastly improved next year. Sometimes tomorrow never comes. I'd take as close to a sure thing as the Suns can get.

Now giving up Diaw or Barbosa scares me more than giving up the Atlanta pick. Both players are starting to come into their own.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
There is no way Phoenix will trade Amare. Could you see him being healthy next year, and completely dominating the Suns for the next 10?

I'd probably jump off of a cliff if that were to happen.

jibikao

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
The Atlanta pick would not kill the deal for me as I'm tired of gambling on the future. It would be just the Suns luck for the Hawks to draft a good PG and be vastly improved next year. Sometimes tomorrow never comes. I'd take as close to a sure thing as the Suns can get.

Now giving up Diaw or Barbosa scares me more than giving up the Atlanta pick. Both players are starting to come into their own.

Same here. I am tired of relying on "future picks". Diaw/Barbosa are proven good players and they are still so young. I won't throw them into the deal.

I think throwing Marion into the deal is the most possible way but doesn't Marion have a huge contract too? One thing I do know is if KG wants out of Wolves, Wolves is not going to get equal value back.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
If the Wolves trade Garnett, they will want one of two things:

1. A top-ten player, or
2. Major salary relief and prospects.

They almost certainly won't get #1. But they can get #2. They'd trade Garnett for some huge expiring contract plus some promising young guys and picks. For instance, Orlando could offer Hill, Milicic, Nelson, and picks. The Knicks could offer Houston, Frye, Lee, and picks for Garnett and Mark Blount. The Grizzlies could offer Eddie Jones, Mike Miller, Warrick and picks for Garnett and Blount, although that package doesn't seem too appealing. But something along those lines..

The cap relief wouldn't make sense. So they get cap relief and go out and sign a max player. Who are they going to get with their max money that would be a better fit than Marion?

Cap relief only has value when you can spend that money more wisely somewhere else.

The Suns have a vast amount of options to make this deal work, but Marion would be the centerpiece. They can sneak the salary up just inside the 25% window so that they get a 3.6 million trade exception (just to sit on if they want).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05