Stout's 2007 Predictions

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yep, it's that time of the year, and since nobody else seems to want to start a full 2007 prediction thread, I will.

AFC:
This is the power conference. The problem is, only one team can make it, and they will beat each other up to get to the Super Bowl.

AFC East:
New England
New York
Buffalo
Miami
New England is still the cream of the crop here. The Jets haven't upgraded enough to take the division. Buffalo is still at least a year away. Miami is headed to contention for the #1 overall selection.

AFC South
Indianapolis
Houston
Jacksonville
Tennesee
Indy is the clear winner here. Houston is the surprise team; their defense is still a work in progress, but their offense begins to shine under a real QB. Jacksonville slips from QB and WR play, which drags the defense down. Vince Young isn't nearly as effective as last year, and the Titans just haven't improved enough.

AFC North
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
No, the Bengals do not have a good defense, but neither did the Colts last season. They have an incredible offense, and it will make up for their lackluster D. McNair is another year older, and McGahee isn't the man for the job in Baltimore. Pittsburgh languishes in transition. Cleveland, while improved, is not improved enough.

AFC West
San Diego
Denver
Oakland
Kansas City
San Diego...duh! Denver under Cutler will just miss the playoffs, but by next year it will be their time to shine. Oakland will be a lot better, and Culpepper will look like a genius for signing a one year deal. Kansas City...bad QB, worse O-line, bad defense...nightmare season. They will compete for the top overall pick.

AFC Playoff Teams (In Order):
San Diego
Indy
New England
Cincinnati
New York
Houston

AFC Championship:
San Diego vs New England

AFC Champion:
San Diego

NFC: The NFC is wide open. The only team I have no question will be a top team is New Orleans.

NFC East:
Philly
Washington
Dallas
New York
Philly will thrive with the return of McNabb, and Westbrook will flourish. Washington finishes second, mainly because of the inadequacies of the other two teams. Dallas stumbles badly, because sadly they have an abysmal head coach that will let the team run rampant on him. New York is going to wilt because Coughlin should have been canned last year, and the team knows it.

NFC South:
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
New Orleans is a no-brainer. The big positive that will be a pleasant surprise is the defense. They have vastly improved at LB, in the secondary, and added a stud in Clancy. Carolina finishes second...because the other teams aren't that good either, because they have a decent defense, and because they have Steve Smith. In Atlanta, Harrington will actually be much better at QB than Vick, but this team still isn't that good. As for Tampa, I do NOT understand the love fest. Everyone keeps saying this is an improved offensive line. I say no. They compete for the 1st overall pick.

NFC North:
Green Bay
Chicago
Detroit
Minnesota
This is a tough, tough call, but I'm going out on a limb. Grossman is going to crash and burn; he's under too much scrutiny, and TJ is gone. Benson isn't enough to do it all on his own. This is Favre's last ride. He's lost a lot, but he has some talent at WR, Brandon Jackson is going to impress, and that young defense is hungry. Detroit will have great offensive firepower, but their defense will fail them. While I feel Minnesota has a pair of young offensive stars in the making in Jackson and AP, Jackson needs this year of experience under his belt before he can lead this team anywhere.

NFC West:
Seattle
St. Louis
Arizona
San Francisco
Seattle wins the division, but they are on the decline; pure experience gets it done for them this year. Arizona pushes St. Louis and Seattle both, but we are young, and though we will make the playoffs, it isn't our time yet. San Fran is vastly overrated, and players like Vernon Davis allow it to go to their heads. They suffer early losses and never recover.

NFC Playoff Teams (In Order):
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Seattle
Green Bay
St. Louis
Arizona

NFC Championship Game:
New Orleans vs Philadelphia

NFC Champion:
New Orleans

Super Bowl Champion:
New Orleans

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Could you please elaborate on how the 49er's are vastly overrated? and how players like Vernon Davis will let in get to there head? What losses will we suffer,and never recover from? Also if you have time please tell me who will win the Superbowl? Who will be elected president in '08? Will Rosie O'Donnell die in the next 3-4 years? Will the Lakers Trade Kobe? Will the world come to an end in 2012? :|

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Could you please elaborate on how the 49er's are vastly overrated? and how players like Vernon Davis will let in get to there head? What losses will we suffer,and never recover from? Also if you have time please tell me who will win the Superbowl? Who will be elected president in '08? Will Rosie O'Donnell die in the next 3-4 years? Will the Lakers Trade Kobe? Will the world come to an end in 2012? :|

Lol I figured one of the lurking 49er fans would take issue with this. While I think it will be an incredible game, I believe the Cards will win on Monday. Is this a lock? No, of course not, but I'm making season predictions here, so I have to go out on a limb. The reason I say you are going to have a tough start is because, after the Monday Night game, you travel to St. Louis (good bet for a loss), travel to Pittsburgh (who is in transition, but still a tough place to play), and then play Seattle and Baltimore before the bye. It's plausible you could end up 0-5 going into that week. I think you'll make it 1-4, though, as you'll pull out one of those games. I'm not trying to be insulting; that's just how I see it.

I think they're overrated in that they're relying on an injury-prone RB (who when healthy is very good--but that's a big question mark), a young QB who has not proven he can be a good starter, an old WR with bad knees who played well because he was in synch with Hasselbeck, a castoff WR who is no good, a young TE with tons of potential, but who has yet to prove a doggone thing no matter what the pundits say, and a defense that should be improved but still won't be scaring anyone.

VD is already getting carried away with himeslf, shooting off his mouth and acting like Mr. Big Stuff. He is NOTHING yet. Nada. Did he storm the NFL with a rookie year like Boldin? No. Had he done that, or done much of anything, then I'd give him some kudos, but unless you have a stellar rookie season, you shouldn't be running your mouth. In my opinion, running your mouth before you begin to win is dangerous; if you start winning, it comes off as brash confidence. If you start losing, it could get real ugly real fast.

Look, I'm not trying to deliberately bash the 49ers. This is just my opinion, and I could be wrong. I know anyone can do a similar writeup on the Cards, and predict they'd finish last too. We're not stellar either. So, let's sit back and see what happens come Monday and beyond.

BTW, I did predict the Super Bowl winner ;)

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Lol I figured one of the lurking 49er fans would take issue with this. While I think it will be an incredible game, I believe the Cards will win on Monday. Is this a lock? No, of course not, but I'm making season predictions here, so I have to go out on a limb. The reason I say you are going to have a tough start is because, after the Monday Night game, you travel to St. Louis (good bet for a loss), travel to Pittsburgh (who is in transition, but still a tough place to play), and then play Seattle and Baltimore before the bye. It's plausible you could end up 0-5 going into that week. I think you'll make it 1-4, though, as you'll pull out one of those games. I'm not trying to be insulting; that's just how I see it.

We travel to St. Louis which really isn't a tough place, we almost beat them last year at home but due to poor clock management we lost. Pittsburgh is a winnable game, it depends on which steeler team show's up, but i do give us a little edge in this game bacause they are playing a different scheme defensively. We swept Seattle last year, i don't see them being a problem. Ideally i see us going 3-2 into the bye week. I understand your not trying to be insulting. I have no problem with you making your predictions.

I think they're overrated in that they're relying on an injury-prone RB (who when healthy is very good--but that's a big question mark), a young QB who has not proven he can be a good starter, an old WR with bad knees who played well because he was in synch with Hasselbeck, a castoff WR who is no good, a young TE with tons of potential, but who has yet to prove a doggone thing no matter what the pundits say, and a defense that should be improved but still won't be scaring anyone.

Gore has had his fair share of injury problems but he didn't miss a single game last year. The fact of the matter is Gore is a top 5 back in this league and he hasn't proved to be that prone to injury. Alex Smith made gradual progression from year 1 to year 2. Alex did as much as he could giving the circumstances regarding the supporting cast. We had virtually nobody to give a spark to our offense besides Gore. As a young quarterback your only as good as the people around you. Alex cannot bed blame for an incompetent receiving core, bad play-calling my Norv Turner, and inconsistent pass protection from the line. I will more than happy to admit that Alex made is share of bad mistakes throughout the season but if we are going to go in that direction we have to acknowledge the good things he did. Old Wr?? first of Jackson will be 29 by the end of the season, and i give that he did bang up his knees in the 2005 season pretty bad he bounced back and had a terrific season even though he was injured in the 3 of those games (and 4 of those games Wallace was throwing to him not Hassleback). I would also like to add it's been well reported in 49er camp that Jackson and Smith have been building a rapport since the draft and Jackson is motivated to get Smith to the playoffs. As for Davis i will do my best to defend him. He missed 9 weeks due to injury (it happens) but proved to be a Playmaker when he was on the field even though it was a very limited amount of time. IE. The season opener last year he proved he can be a playmaker, first Quarter TD 31 Yard Pass from Smith. Game 2 vs. the Cards 4 rec's 91 Yards including a 44 yard pass from Smith. Against the packers he posted 3 Rec's for 74 yards and a 52 yard TD. Had Vernon stayed healthy the entire season we would've seen more of that. But those 9 weeks he missed where invaluable time with the offense. I do think your right that we won't scare anyone but we wont be a walked over anymore. We have a legitimate lock down corner in(IF YOU ARE READING THIS, I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT CLEMENT'S IS GOING TO SHUT DOWN EITHER FITZ OR BOLDIN I AM MERELY STATING HE IS A LEGIT CORNER), returning pro-bowler Walt Harris who recorded 8 int's last year. Manny Lawson who finally be able to rush the passer with full intent due to injuries he was forced into a coverage role which he did very well. I don't think Offensive coordinators will lose any sleep over us but we aren't to be as dreadful as years past.

VD is already getting carried away with himeslf, shooting off his mouth and acting like Mr. Big Stuff. He is NOTHING yet. Nada. Did he storm the NFL with a rookie year like Boldin? No. Had he done that, or done much of anything, then I'd give him some kudos, but unless you have a stellar rookie season, you shouldn't be running your mouth. In my opinion, running your mouth before you begin to win is dangerous; if you start winning, it comes off as brash confidence. If you start losing, it could get real ugly real fast.

Trust me, after being the first victims of the TO drama we are more than worried about this guy's ego, but the one thing that gives me faith is Nolan runs a hard camp and he is a no nonsense kind of guy. He rules with an iron fist and i am sure he will keep Davis in line.

Look, I'm not trying to deliberately bash the 49ers. This is just my opinion, and I could be wrong. I know anyone can do a similar writeup on the Cards, and predict they'd finish last too. We're not stellar either. So, let's sit back and see what happens come Monday and beyond.

I have a nothing but mostly praise to give to the Cardinals, heck you guys have what most teams in the nfl want. A Franchise QB, 2 Spectacular Wideouts, and a Feature Back in the NFL. But i do feel that my 49er's do deserve a certain amount of credit because in 3 years Nolan has turned the team with the worst talent pool in the nfl to a possible playoff contender(quite a different scenario compared to Wisenhunt). I don't think Smith is as bad as you say, Gore is not that injury prone(same goes for Jackson) and while vernon might have a big mouth he makes up for it in his big play ability that will only get better. MONDAY NIGHT CAN'T GET HERE ANY FASTER!! :)

BTW, I did predict the Super Bowl winner ;)

there you have it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the power conference. The problem is, only one team can make it, and they will beat each other up to get to the Super Bowl.

This is SOOOO true. In fact, so true that I submitted my first season prediction pick entry with San Diego and Indy in the Super Bowl. WTF? I guess I didn't look at it with my head, but with my gut. Hell, maybe David Stern is going to take over mid-season and my gut was right????

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are my pick's in abomb's little fun-for-all.

Code:
AFC East winner is…	New England
AFC South winner is…	Indy
AFC North winner is…	Cinci
AFC West winner is…	San Diego
AFC Wild Card #1	Baltimore
AFC Wild Card #2	Denver

NFC East winner is…	Cowboys
NFC South winner is…	New Orleans
NFC North winner is…	Chicago
NFC West winner is…	Cardinals
NFC Wild Card #1	Seattle
NFC Wild Card #2	Philly

Super Bowl predicition	Chargers/Philly

League MVP is…	LT
Rookie of the Year (Offense)	Calvin Johnson
Rookie of the Year (Defense)	Darrelle Revis
Coach of the Year	Wade Phillips

Top NFL QB (NFDL scoring)	P. Manning
Top NFL RB (NFDL scoring)	LT
Top NFL WR (NFDL scoring)	Chad Johnson

Arizona Cardinals record	8 and 8
Edgerrin James Rushing Yards/TDs	1370
Boldin and Fitz Catches/TDs	Quan 89 for 9 and Fitz 78 for 11

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
To the Dude: excellent post. I don't agree with you, but you put a lot of thought into it. It's clear that you're just as ardent a 9ers fan as I am a Cards fan. Good luck in beating Seattle and St. Louis, unless we need you to lose to them ;)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is absolutely NO way the niners will go into Pittsburgh & win. NO WAY!! The Steelers will be very good & don't be surprised if they win 13 games this year. Their OC is outstanding & Big Ben will have a breakout year. The D won't miss a beat. This will be a significantly better team than the one that won the SB 2 yrs ago.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
There is absolutely NO way the niners will go into Pittsburgh & win. NO WAY!! The Steelers will be very good & don't be surprised if they win 13 games this year. Their OC is outstanding & Big Ben will have a breakout year. The D won't miss a beat. This will be a significantly better team than the one that won the SB 2 yrs ago.

I too think the Steelers are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Sometimes a little fresh blood can energize what has always been a solid team.

chicards11

Registered
Reaction score
agreed with everything but the North

NFC North

Chicago- Benson finished his last 6 games TEARING defenses apart. The Grossman drama is overated. He has burners gallore in Berrian, Hester, and Bradley. Oh yeah--now a pass catching TE in Greg Olsen....this team might not lose a game

Detroit - Kitna is serviceable....thats all they need. CJ is having a great camp so far and we already have seen what Roy W. can do. These two might challenge fitz and Q for best WR tandem in a couple years.

Green Bay-- I do not understand the hoopla over GB this year. They have a hell of a set of bookend DE's and a fast LB'ing corp but other than that......bleech. Morency showed he can be a legitiment rb in the NFL....we certainly helped that cause out too.... :|

Minnesota -- AP is injury prone....talented, but injury prone. Not much else to talk about here.....they just suck

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
NFC North

Chicago- Benson finished his last 6 games TEARING defenses apart. The Grossman drama is overated. He has burners gallore in Berrian, Hester, and Bradley. Oh yeah--now a pass catching TE in Greg Olsen....this team might not lose a game

Detroit - Kitna is serviceable....thats all they need. CJ is having a great camp so far and we already have seen what Roy W. can do. These two might challenge fitz and Q for best WR tandem in a couple years.

Green Bay-- I do not understand the hoopla over GB this year. They have a hell of a set of bookend DE's and a fast LB'ing corp but other than that......bleech. Morency showed he can be a legitiment rb in the NFL....we certainly helped that cause out too.... :|

Minnesota -- AP is injury prone....talented, but injury prone. Not much else to talk about here.....they just suck

I just felt the need for some bold predictions, and since I think Chicago will have at least a minor meltdown, it fit.

chicards11

Registered
Reaction score
oh geez....and the west too!

Arizona 10-6

If the oline stays healthy and the defense holds teams to 17 ppg, we win ten games....simple as that

San Fran 8-8

I truely believe that Arz and SF will duke it out in this division for years to come. Too many weapons on offense and their defense is shored up now

St. Louis 8-8

Bulger and jackson shine but the dante hall/drew bennett experiment blows up in their face......defense is piss poor and their achillies heel

Seattle 5-11 This team is in disaray.... SA is slowley declining now that his line is disipating. Their defense has never been too shut down....Arizona takes these chumps down twice this year ans does StL

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there you have it.
There is no way that you guys go into Pitt and come out with a win. They aren't incorperating a new scheme, maybe you were thinking about us. Dick LeBeau is still running the 3-4, they will just feature a few more Cover 2 packages. Secondly, ABSOLUTELY NO WAY do you get a win in B'more either.

Vern Davis had 20 catches last year in 7 games. Hardly great. I live in Md and had the pleasure to watch him more than most in college (even saw him throw someone through a fence at a fight down in College Park). I really think he will be special if he can keep his head on straight. I wanted bad on draft day. Yes he will hurt us for years, but not more than Matt will hurt you.:D

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
There is no way that you guys go into Pitt and come out with a win. They aren't incorperating a new scheme, maybe you were thinking about us. Dick LeBeau is still running the 3-4, they will just feature a few more Cover 2 packages. Secondly, ABSOLUTELY NO WAY do you get a win in B'more either.

Vern Davis had 20 catches last year in 7 games. Hardly great. I live in Md and had the pleasure to watch him more than most in college (even saw him throw someone through a fence at a fight down in College Park). I really think he will be special if he can keep his head on straight. I wanted bad on draft day. Yes he will hurt us for years, but not more than Matt will hurt you.:D

While i do think we can beat Pitt, i don't think we have a chance in hell do even compete against Baltimore. My dream scenario would be for us to go into the bye week 3-2 which i think is entirely possible. Yes you right, 20 catches in 7 games is horrendous for a rookie who was already labeled rookie of the year, but the time he did miss was invaluable to his progression in our offense. But there were times last season were he showed flashes of what kind of play maker he can be.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout, it seems you've taken the good teams from last year and assumed they will all remain good. History indicates that's unlikely.

It makes good reading and we'll see how good you are at predicting future outcomes. I'm so bad at it, I never even try anymore.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Saints certainly did not look like a division winner tonight let alone super bowl winner...

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Stout, it seems you've taken the good teams from last year and assumed they will all remain good. History indicates that's unlikely.

It makes good reading and we'll see how good you are at predicting future outcomes. I'm so bad at it, I never even try anymore.

Yeah, it'll probably all end up wrong, but I had to make my calls to be on record.

And I didn't have Chicago being any good, so that's something!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05