Stout's Mock Draft, Part One

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, I figured here it is, my first, best and final mock...until and unless trades happen before draft day! I'm breaking it down, as I see the first seven picks happening in three possible scenarios, with everything contingent on what the Raiders do. The Raiders, I believe, are the key to the top of the draft.

What I'll do is post the three scenarios for the top 7 picks on this thread, then the rest of the first round and the rest of the Card's draft on another thread. So, without further eloquence...

First Scenario: IMO, the most likely:

1-New York Giants-Eli Manning, QB, ‘Ole Miss The Giants package the #4 overall and a mid-round pick or two, along with Kerry Collins, who restructures and signs an extension-I think this trade happens, period.

2-Oakland Raiders-Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pitt Gallery is a real possibility here, with the retirement of Lincoln Kennedy, but I think Al ends up wanting Fitz more, seeing him as a new Jerry Rice

3-Arizona Cardinals-Roy Williams, WR, Texas Like it or not, this is who I think Green targets as the next Randy Moss at this spot-the Browns call for a trade, but the Cards War Room says no

4-San Diego Chargers-Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa Their target all along, and now they have Collins to lead the offense-savvy draft day dealing

5-Washington Redskins-Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami Although Danny Boy covets Winslow here, they have almost no DT depth on the roster, and no true starters

6-Detroit Lions-Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami Detroit would love to have Steven Jackson, but they feel Winslow is too good to pass up here-the Lions are surprised the Redskins passed on Winslow

7-Cleveland Browns-Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami, OH Cleveland tried desperately to trade up with the Cards to land Gallery, but Green was not willing to risk losing Roy

Second Scenario: The Gamble

1-New York Giants-Eli Manning, QB, ‘Ole Miss

2-Oakland Raiders-Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pitt

3-Cleveland Browns-Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa Browns package their #7 overall, their #37 overall and Andre Davis to move up-they try offering Northcutt, but Green plays hardball and wins

4-San Diego Chargers-Mike Williams, WR, USC Marty is happy that the Chargers landed Collins rather than drafting a QB, to better the chances of winning quickly, but the second half of the plan failed, as the Browns offered more to trade up than the Chargers were willing to part with-still, Williams is a nice consolation prize

5-Washington Redskins-Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami

6-Detroit Lions-Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami

7-Arizona Cardinals-Roy Williams, WR, Texas Green and Graves are thrilled that Williams is still on the board, as Green tabs him the Randy Moss of the Cardinals-would have taken Fitzgerald if he was available at #3, but Green was prepared to take Roy at #3 before the trade-he forces the Browns to give up Davis, and the risk of trading down pays off

Third Scenario: That Crazy Al

1-New York Giants-Eli Manning, QB, ‘Ole Miss

2-Oakland Raiders-Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa Fitzgerald a real possibility here, but with the retirement of Lincoln Kennedy, Gallery will anchor the line for years to come

3-Arizona Cardinals-Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pitt Green gets his man

4-San Diego Chargers-Mike Williams, WR, USC Marty is happy that the Chargers landed Collins rather than drafting a QB, to better the chances of winning quickly, but the second half of the plan failed, as Gallery went to the Raiders-still, Williams is a nice consolation prize

7-Cleveland Browns-Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami, OH Once Gallery was off the board, and with the Giants taking Manning, the Browns sit tight and expect Big Ben to fall to them

Yes, I do think, no matter what, a deal is going to be done between the Giants and the Chargers. Why? The Chargers really want Gallery, they don't want him at #1, neither Al Davis nor the Cards will trade up, and this gives them a solid starter-plus, with Collins in the deal, the Giants probably won't have to give up too much more. Yes, I also (sadly) think Fitzgerald and Roy Williams are atop the Cardinals draft board. I want Big Ben, but it's not going to happen, IMO.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well lets hope for scenario two or three! I guess I like scenario two better. Andre Davis could be pretty good! Plus we get another second.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stout said:
Well, I figured here it is, my first, best and final mock...until and unless trades happen before draft day! I'm breaking it down, as I see the first seven picks happening in three possible scenarios, with everything contingent on what the Raiders do. The Raiders, I believe, are the key to the top of the draft.

What I'll do is post the three scenarios for the top 7 picks on this thread, then the rest of the first round and the rest of the Card's draft on another thread. So, without further eloquence...

First Scenario: IMO, the most likely:

1-New York Giants-Eli Manning, QB, ?Ole Miss The Giants package the #4 overall and a mid-round pick or two, along with Kerry Collins, who restructures and signs an extension-I think this trade happens, period.

2-Oakland Raiders-Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pitt Gallery is a real possibility here, with the retirement of Lincoln Kennedy, but I think Al ends up wanting Fitz more, seeing him as a new Jerry Rice

3-Arizona Cardinals-Roy Williams, WR, Texas Like it or not, this is who I think Green targets as the next Randy Moss at this spot-the Browns call for a trade, but the Cards War Room says no

4-San Diego Chargers-Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa Their target all along, and now they have Collins to lead the offense-savvy draft day dealing

5-Washington Redskins-Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami Although Danny Boy covets Winslow here, they have almost no DT depth on the roster, and no true starters

6-Detroit Lions-Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami Detroit would love to have Steven Jackson, but they feel Winslow is too good to pass up here-the Lions are surprised the Redskins passed on Winslow

7-Cleveland Browns-Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami, OH Cleveland tried desperately to trade up with the Cards to land Gallery, but Green was not willing to risk losing Roy

Second Scenario: The Gamble

1-New York Giants-Eli Manning, QB, ?Ole Miss

2-Oakland Raiders-Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pitt

3-Cleveland Browns-Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa Browns package their #7 overall, their #37 overall and Andre Davis to move up-they try offering Northcutt, but Green plays hardball and wins

4-San Diego Chargers-Mike Williams, WR, USC Marty is happy that the Chargers landed Collins rather than drafting a QB, to better the chances of winning quickly, but the second half of the plan failed, as the Browns offered more to trade up than the Chargers were willing to part with-still, Williams is a nice consolation prize

7-Arizona Cardinals-Roy Williams, WR, Texas Green and Graves are thrilled that Williams is still on the board, as Green tabs him the Randy Moss of the Cardinals-would have taken Fitzgerald if he was available at #3, but Green was prepared to take Roy at #3 before the trade-he forces the Browns to give up Davis, and the risk of trading down pays off

Third Scenario: That Crazy Al

1-New York Giants-Eli Manning, QB, ?Ole Miss

2-Oakland Raiders-Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa Fitzgerald a real possibility here, but with the retirement of Lincoln Kennedy, Gallery will anchor the line for years to come

3-Arizona Cardinals-Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pitt Green gets his man

4-San Diego Chargers-Mike Williams, WR, USC Marty is happy that the Chargers landed Collins rather than drafting a QB, to better the chances of winning quickly, but the second half of the plan failed, as Gallery went to the Raiders-still, Williams is a nice consolation prize

7-Cleveland Browns-Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami, OH Once Gallery was off the board, and with the Giants taking Manning, the Browns sit tight and expect Big Ben to fall to them

Yes, I do think, no matter what, a deal is going to be done between the Giants and the Chargers. Why? The Chargers really want Gallery, they don't want him at #1, neither Al Davis nor the Cards will trade up, and this gives them a solid starter-plus, with Collins in the deal, the Giants probably won't have to give up too much more. Yes, I also (sadly) think Fitzgerald and Roy Williams are atop the Cardinals draft board. I want Big Ben, but it's not going to happen, IMO.

-What do the Cards get from CLE to trade down?
-Has SD landed Kerry Collins I didn't hear about that?
-Lincoln Kennedy has UN-retired.
-Don't worry Josh has just about as much potential as Big Ben but 3 years head start.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
I like scenario 2 with us getting RW and Davis. But that mean BJ is trade bait unless we are running 4 WR sets instead of 3 WR sets.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yeah if we picked up Andre Davis I think we would go a different direction other then Wide Reciever.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
vikesfan said:
-What do the Cards get from CLE to trade down?
-Has SD landed Kerry Collins I didn't hear about that?
-Lincoln Kennedy has UN-retired.
-Don't worry Josh has just about as much potential as Big Ben but 3 years head start.

-We'd get Davis, a 2nd rounder and their 1st rounder
-When did Kennedy UN-retire? You have a link for it, because I never read anything about it
-I don't agree on Josh, but that's common knowledge

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
AzDad, SunCard, good point! I didn't even think about that when I made it up, but I won't take it back now. It never hurts to have a plethora of talented receivers, and I don't think Davis is making that much money contract-wise.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know this point because I made my own mock draft like yours if you don't recall! :) We got Davis and I think I picked Sean Taylor at the time...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gee Stout....I guess Winslow wasn't the only Homer :)

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
But what do the Raiders need more, a WR or QB? Seems both positions are in sad shape.

spanky1

Reaction score
Stout said:
AzDad, SunCard, good point! I didn't even think about that when I made it up, but I won't take it back now. It never hurts to have a plethora of talented receivers, and I don't think Davis is making that much money contract-wise.

No the Cards wouldn't take a WR at #7........having too many WR's will impact playing time and will lessen the needed reps......one WR would "atrophy".

Taking Wilfork at #7 would be a wiser move.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Roy Williams

we'd better not take Roy"I won't show up for the big game" Williams. I'd take 6 receivers,no make it 8 before I'd touch this guy. Lot's of potential,NO results unless it's New Mex.St. or Baylor. PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Don't do it!!!!!!! :(

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Okie you sure on Roy how many games did you see? He says it was the type of offense they ran at Texas. Sell me on your POV Okie guy.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Quote:

I like scenario 2 also, but taking Sean Taylor instead.

Ditto, me too. Too many good Wr's to go R. Williams first. Go D first. Get the extra 2nd and draft a WR later.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Okie you sure on Roy how many games did you see? He says it was the type of offense they ran at Texas. Sell me on your POV Okie guy.

The kid has an all wolrd potential but his hammy is still a concern. WR Bruce (Rams) had it for a long time and for a while it hindered his game. If we draft a top 3, he better come in and contribute right away IMO.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Roy Williams

vikesfan said:
I watched MANY of his games,he's non-existant against good competition. I've seen him in person 4 times and he did NOTHING against OU or OSU(who is not known for playing great defense). He has potential,yes but I predict him being a first round flop. He can't block,and gives up on routes occasionally. Local people here think he is 2nd round at best but he gained lot's of national pub.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Green was on abc-15 sports tonight with Fooey and said they're drafting

1- Fitz

2-Taylor

3-Winslow

He said "one of our three guys is gonna be there".

I don't see them trading out unless Oak. passes on Gallery and Clev. offers the moon to move up. (Davis, #7 & #37).

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Okieguy said:
I watched MANY of his games,he's non-existant against good competition. I've seen him in person 4 times and he did NOTHING against OU or OSU(who is not known for playing great defense). He has potential,yes but I predict him being a first round flop. He can't block,and gives up on routes occasionally. Local people here think he is 2nd round at best but he gained lot's of national pub.

Another hopeless okla homer who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Williams lit up Oklahoma State with 6 catches for 162 yards last year in a game where R. Woods was 4-43.

I guess the poster is trying to be a poor man's Crimson Warrior. At least CW gets his facts straight and makes thoughtful observations on a wide range of Cardinal topics when he's not blinded by his hatred for UT. :D