Strategy and Len

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Yes - Sarver and that lisp special chick Babby, selected Len. He is skilled, much like I am on an 8 ft rim. I expect he will move from an inside player to a three point shooter within 3 years.

This is a soft player, but more concerning is that we all know the Suns will suck in 13-14 and possibly be a top 2-4 team. I expect another stiff, I do think they will pass on Wiggings (sp?) and the other top players becuase....they are that f'ing stupid.

I was browsing for a "skilled" caucasion big man or lesser brother/twin for 2014 and I couldn't find one. GM-RyMac must be stressed.

This team does not have a solid strategy. Babby and his vocal diareaha, makes Forest Gump's room temp IQ seem impressive.

Does anone really think if the Suns had the #1 pick in 2014, that they would use it on a top three player? They will reach for sure and I could even see a scenario where they have they trade their pick for cash.

Len is a soft player, he is 7'1 and can barely dunk with a 7/4 wing span. I am sad, this org. blows.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely agree with Slin, but he is 100% correct. It has been reported that McDonough has been scouting Len well before he came to the Suns. Also, Len's athletic ability have never been a question. His foot and his motor are the two things that have been questioned the most. Once the Suns drafted him, his foot issues went away since it will get resolved by the magic of the Suns training staff. So, if someone can light a fire in him, he will be fine.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
He is pretty athletic for his size. Looks to have some solid game for a twenty year old kid. Should be fun to watch.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
McDonough selected Len, not Babby or Sarver.

And Len can barely dunk? You are clueless.

This.

I'm not 100% thrilled with the pick. (Don't hate it. Don't love it.) But I trust McDonough a hell of a lot more than Blanks. So I'm giving the Suns the benefit of the doubt.

As far as Len barely being able to dunk, well, he's tall and white so he must be slow and unathletic.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Reminds me lot of a young Dirk with that step under move.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some footage of him "barely" dunking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajwa8j79vd0

people keep talking up this youtube clip as proof of Len's athletic ability, but outside of a really nice jame against Duke, I see a guy who's seven feet, with long arms who's dunking like a lot of 7 footers...arms extended, head below the rim, feet not all that far off the ground.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
people keep talking up this youtube clip as proof of Len's athletic ability, but outside of a really nice jame against Duke, I see a guy who's seven feet, with long arms who's dunking like a lot of 7 footers...arms extended, head below the rim, feet not all that far off the ground.

Yep, just like Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan.

You're never going to get the Six Million Dollar Man. Who cares if he doesn't dunk like Amare? Why is that even an issue?

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score

Those kind of dunks are still worth 2 points, right? If having your head below the rim is proof that you are not athletic enough, then most of the NBA is not athletic enough to play in the NBA.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Remember the enticing draft video of this taller, athletic center?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ozX2UR0F4#t=0m17s

Len's athleticism is overstated. Meh, all these picks this year have flaws though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, just like Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan.

If Len had performed to even 1/10 of what Duncan did in college or what Gasol did in Europe this comment MIGHT have some value, but he didn't. Those guys, ESPECIALLY Duncan was a freaking beast in college on D, passing, offense, blocking shots. Len has shown NONE of that ability at anywhere near that level.

seriously...you do realize you've just made a comparison to those guys by bringing them up in the conversation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those kind of dunks are still worth 2 points, right?

those kind of dunks are BLOCKED in the NBA. or did you not watch Lopez, who had similar lift get repeatedly stuffed at the rim over and over and over again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're never going to get the Six Million Dollar Man. Who cares if he doesn't dunk like Amare? Why is that even an issue?

because his lift has to do with actually getting his shot off. it ain't just about dunks.

i can't believe this is so hard to understand.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
because his lift has to do with actually getting his shot off. it ain't just about dunks.

i can't believe this is so hard to understand.

The guy is 7'1". How high does he need to jump just to get a shot off? At least he can shoot the mid-range shot, lift or no. The biggest superstar center in the league can't make anything outside 5 feet.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Lopez comparisons are just silly. Len is much more skilled on both end of the floor, and I think he has a much higher basketball IQ. I am a bit concerned that he seems to like finesse a bit too much and he ends up trying to be cute instead of just throwing it down, but you have to have some patience with a 20 year old kid who started playing basketball 6 or 7 years ago, and doesn't quite understand just how huge he is.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
If Len had performed to even 1/10 of what Duncan did in college or what Gasol did in Europe this comment MIGHT have some value, but he didn't. Those guys, ESPECIALLY Duncan was a freaking beast in college on D, passing, offense, blocking shots. Len has shown NONE of that ability at anywhere near that level.

seriously...you do realize you've just made a comparison to those guys by bringing them up in the conversation.

I looked at the stats today. Comparing sophmore seasons he is about 75% of Duncan. Two more years in college Len would be the #1 pick for sure. Not saying he would match Duncan at all.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I looked at the stats today. Comparing sophmore seasons he is about 75% of Duncan. Two more years in college Len would be the #1 pick for sure. Not saying he would match Duncan at all.

This isnt a video game, there is no guarantee of increased production. Two more years of Len playing at the level he did last year and he wouldnt even go in the 1st round.

And Duncan's sophomore production crushed Len's anyway. He did "75%" of what Duncan did? Duncan put up 17-12.5 and 4.2 blocks while carrying a top 5 team. Len's production is dwarfed in every category... and his team sucked. If Len had produced at anywhere near that level then he we wouldnt be complaining. There is absolutely no comparison.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
This isnt a video game, there is no guarantee of increased production. Two more years of Len playing at the level he did last year and he wouldnt even go in the 1st round.

And Duncan's sophomore production crushed Len's anyway. He did "75%" of what Duncan did? Duncan put up 17-12.5 and 4.2 blocks while carrying a top 5 team. Len's production is dwarfed in every category... and his team sucked. If Len had produced at anywhere near that level then he we wouldnt be complaining. There is absolutely no comparison.

I am basing on improvement from freshman to sophmore year for Len. And no there is no guarantee.

Maryland just wasn't that good. Bob Kemp called them the worst back court in the history of college basketball today. :p

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am basing on improvement from freshman to sophmore year for Len. And no there is no guarantee.

Maryland just wasn't that good. Bob Kemp called them the worst back court in the history of college basketball today. :p

His guards being terrible would tempt me to forgive his lack of offensive touches, but his lack production in all stats and his inconsistent effort scare the crap out of me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His guards being terrible would tempt me to forgive his lack of offensive touches, but his lack production in all stats and his inconsistent effort scare the crap out of me.

The inconsistent effort bothers me but I thought his production was fine unless you're going to ping him twice for the inconsistent effort. IOW, he did produce when the effort was there especially against tougher opponents.

I really didn't follow Maryland well enough to know about the problem with the guards. Let's face it, one sure way to get inconsistent production from a big man is to have him work his butt off to get position only to be ignored by the ball handler. Or, work his way into position for a rebound and have the offense fiddle around up top and then finally take the shot about the time he's surrendered his position to avoid the 3 count.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

come on, now. you can say 75% of Duncan and try to approximate that he's close to him, but the actual numbers make you just look like you're playing a numbers game.

there is NO comparison between:

Len who averaged 12 ppg and 7.8 rebounds and 2 blocks as a sophomore.

and

Duncan averaged 17 pppg, 12.5 and 4.2 blocks as a sophomore.

and two more years in college he was going to make this gigantic leap? and who stays four years in college these days? if you do, there's probably a reason.

Last edited:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
come on, now. you can say 75% of Duncan and try to approximate that he's close to him, but the actual numbers make you just look like you're playing a numbers game.

there is NO comparison between:

Len who averaged 12 ppg and 7.8 rebounds and 2 blocks as a sophomore.

and

Duncan averaged 17 pppg, 12.5 and 4.2 blocks as a sophomore.

and two more years in college he was going to make this gigantic leap? and who stays four years in college these days? if you do, there's probably a reason.

You made the comparison. I was just saying that the numbers aren't as bad as you were making them. I estimated from the top of my head, maybe only 67.5%.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake