Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So would I, but the Suns are shopping at the thrift store. They would be lucky to get Lowry.
All things being equal I would rather have one of the other guys but I wouldn't complain if we got him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, the Suns need to get real.

They need to plug in another playable point guard and another big man, then get really lucky.
Really lucky as in the top12 teams all getting devastated with season ending injuries to their 2 best players.

The suns aren’t even remotely close.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Really lucky as in the top12 teams all getting devastated with season ending injuries to their 2 best players.

Getting healthy seasons from KD & Book last year and coming up with no playoff wins is tough when you project to next year. Beal used to be an iron man but a different part of his body has failed every season since 2019. So we stuck hoping for outlier health, Coach Bud being a top-5 coach in terms of impact and Nurk developing into a solid stretch-5. If only the west wasn’t littered with better and younger teams. The deadline will be interesting if things go south early. The Suns will have some outs if that happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would help if the Suns could field five starters and have 2-3 rotation players off the bench.

Let's see what a new coach can do without a steady diet of isolation basketball.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would help if the Suns could field five starters and have 2-3 rotation players off the bench.

Let's see what a new coach can do without a steady diet of isolation basketball.

It's not just a matter of 5 starters and 3 bench rotation players but those bench players can't all bring the same thing to the table. Last year we were 6-7 deep but there was little difference between Grayson, Gordon, and Royce. They'd come in to cover for Booker, Beal, and Durant while just being lesser versions of Beal. That forced the Suns to have 1 look regardless of who was out there. We need more diverse talent this year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, the Suns need to get real.

They need to plug in another playable point guard and another big man, then get really lucky.

I don't think Lowry is that guy anymore. He was barely hanging on last year, I doubt another year does him any favors.

I don't want us to bring in a borderline unplayable 39 year old who will not be happy if he never takes off his warm ups.

We do need to get lucky, but betting on Lowry is betting blind with a 7.

Young, hungry, willing to do the dirty work... gamble on those guys, not a dude who should have retired a year or 2 ago.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So would I, but the Suns are shopping at the thrift store. They would be lucky to get Lowry.

All things being equal I would rather have one of the other guys but I wouldn't complain if we got him.

It's not just a matter of 5 starters and 3 bench rotation players but those bench players can't all bring the same thing to the table. Last year we were 6-7 deep but there was little difference between Grayson, Gordon, and Royce. They'd come in to cover for Booker, Beal, and Durant while just being lesser versions of Beal. That forced the Suns to have 1 look regardless of who was out there. We need more diverse talent this year.

At this point, I view it like the draft where to take the bpa.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They aren't going to contend. You need to get real.
Anything less than contending is failure. If they are not going to contend they need to trade Book and Durant and start the rebuild now.

However. I totally agree about Lowery. He is old with no upside and nothing to contribute. Our big three needs young hungry players with energy to push them, not an old pg trying to cash one more paycheck.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anything less than contending is failure. If they are not going to contend they need to trade Book and Durant and start the rebuild now.

However. I totally agree about Lowery. He is old with no upside and nothing to contribute. Our big three needs young hungry players with energy to push them, not an old pg trying to cash one more paycheck.
Lowery is playing us for a bigger check on return to Philadelphia.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sure would help - but you can't do that with just minimum salaries to offer. You seem to be imagining these minimum guys will suddenly become real rotation players - well there is a reason they are available for the minimum - nobody thinks they can do that.

Again this goes back to why the only solution is to get rid of one of the big 3's salaries

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again this goes back to why the only solution is to get rid of one of the big 3's salaries
I just don't see that as much of a solution. I think we should sell, sell, sell. But I believe we've chosen the 2nd best option, which is to gamble with the big 3 one more time and when (if) we fail, then sell. Hopefully, if we call it over for the big 3, we'll do it early enough to not waste another entire season on a busted plan.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see that as much of a solution. I think we should sell, sell, sell. But I believe we've chosen the 2nd best option, which is to gamble with the big 3 one more time and when (if) we fail, then sell. Hopefully, if we call it over for the big 3, we'll do it early enough to not waste another entire season on a busted plan.
Yeah, I don't hate Beal but I would almost rather have two starters in exchange for him (not superstars or anything) but two solid starter Calibur players then just having Beal. These new rules though. Such bad timing. I can't imagine if we were still under the the old rules what kind of additions Ishbia would have made or moves.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure would help - but you can't do that with just minimum salaries to offer. You seem to be imagining these minimum guys will suddenly become real rotation players - well there is a reason they are available for the minimum - nobody thinks they can do that.

Adding Monte Morris and Mason Plumlee was a good start.

Give me another point guard that play and another big man for depth, I will feel a lot better about the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Lowry is that guy anymore. He was barely hanging on last year, I doubt another year does him any favors.

I don't want us to bring in a borderline unplayable 39 year old who will not be happy if he never takes off his warm ups.

Young, hungry, willing to do the dirty work... gamble on those guys, not a dude who should have retired a year or 2 ago.

If the Suns can add a better point guard for the vet minimum, I'm 100% for it. I don't want James Jones ignoring depth.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm all for versatility. Sometimes I would look at the Suns roster the past two seasons and see only 5 players I felt good about.

However, I wish the Suns had been able to add another banger in Theis or Achiuwa. There are going to be injuries so I want insurance in the middle and at point guard.

Nurkic and Plumlee are going to miss some games, so I don't want the Suns to be like a marshmallow inside when they are out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monte Morris looks to be a good addition for the Suns, especially if he brings defense to the table as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This, Lowry is just CP3 only worse.

We need to be going after a younger player that maybe will fluke out produce like a Derick Jones Jr.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns can add a better point guard for the vet minimum, I'm 100% for it. I don't want James Jones ignoring depth.
We have our backup point guard - Monte Morris.

Book, Beal, and Allen will all be starters, Lowry will not beat any of them out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Book, Beal, and Allen will all be starters, Lowry will not beat any of them out.

It's all about depth.

Per an article by Gerald Bourguet, according to a source, Ryan Dunn, Monte Morris and Kyle Lowry were the Suns top three targets this summer.

By Gerald Bourguet:

Hopefully it’ll be Phoenix’s gain. According to a source, the Suns’ top three targets this summer were Ryan Dunn in the draft, and Monte Morris and Kyle Lowry in free agency. They’ve landed two of the three, and talks with Lowry are still ongoing. But even if they don’t go 3-for-3, the Suns are comfortable with their new addition.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keith Smith lists the best remaining NBA free agents.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I hope they arent the starters. I am really hoping the starters will be Book, Beal, Durant, Dunn, and Nurk.

I believe Dunn can play NBA starter defense. If he can cut and finish with consistency, that is the perfect combo.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hope they arent the starters. I am really hoping the starters will be Book, Beal, Durant, Dunn, and Nurk.

I believe Dunn can play NBA starter defense. If he can cut and finish with consistency, that is the perfect combo.
At least let him earn it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it is kind of crazy to think the 28th pick in the draft that can’t shoot is going to start.

He is a project. A project with some interesting qualities, but no way is going to be ready to start this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think it is kind of crazy to think the 28th pick in the draft that can’t shoot is going to start.

He is a project. A project with some interesting qualities, but no way is going to be ready to start this year.
Yeah… we would have had to struck gold for Dunn to be starting material out of the gate.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don't see it either. Especially with a coach who puts so much emphasis on shooting. Unless Dunn somehow magically develops a reliable jumper this preseason, I don't see him getting much minutes until maybe the second half of the season, if we're lucky