Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will not get too excited about this.

Nurk's stats show he was a 24% 3pt shooter on 1.2 attempts per game. Waiting for him to drop a 3 every fourth game, eh. I just dont think he will make any dramatic improvement in that area to something like hitting a 3 every third game. 25% to 33% is a huge jump for someone like Nurk.

What I did notice that he started to have more pep in his step later in the season than the start. So maybe he's finally fully health after all his injuries, those take time. And less weight will only help keep stress of his legs.
He is 97 of 347 for his career. Thats 28% for his career. Not great, but better than last year. It is a little deceiving. When a player is not a three point option in an offense, he only shoots them when the offense breaks down, which tends to create a lower percentage. I am hopeful he can get it into the low 30's--maybe 33-34%. Hopeful. Work on that aspect of the game and getting shots in rhythm can make a difference.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When does training camp start? Where will it be. With the Olympics over, it'll be a rough few months here. Our roster is probably solidified until the trade deadline. The schedule is out. Now we wait...
Someone here posted a video of him, by Kellen Olsen, dropping three point shots in practice. He didn't miss a shot in the video. I know it's just practice. He does look a lot slimmer. Maybe he heard Coach Bud won't play guys who can't run or shoot the three? :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard not to get excited after listening to Suns CEO Josh Bartlestein talk about how the Suns are building a world-class organization.

The inclusion of staff, communication and attention to detail is fascinating.

His part in the PHNX video starts at the 12:20 mark and runs through the 37:40 mark.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who have questions about Kevin Durant. This is from the above video link.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When does training camp start? Where will it be. With the Olympics over, it'll be a rough few months here. Our roster is probably solidified until the trade deadline. The schedule is out. Now we wait...

The entire NBA schedule should be out sometime this week.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone here posted a video of him, by Kellen Olsen, dropping three point shots in practice. He didn't miss a shot in the video. I know it's just practice. He does look a lot slimmer. Maybe he heard Coach Bud won't play guys who can't run or shoot the three? :)
He did that last year too.

I have seen video of Okogie and Ryan Dunn also doing that in practice.

Bottom line is videos from practice has almost nothing to do with how players shoot in games.

He did shoot 36% his last year in Portland though on 2.3 attempts a game. Not good, but much better than he did with us.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He did that last year too.

I have seen video of Okogie and Ryan Dunn also doing that in practice.

Bottom line is videos from practice has almost nothing to do with how players shoot in games.

He did shoot 36% his last year in Portland though on 2.3 attempts a game. Not good, but much better than he did with us.
What's not good about that line? His number of attempts? I'll take 36% from 3 from our center any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Deven Booker shot 36% from 3 last year. Gordon and Royce were at 37%. The league average at his position is 32% and only Shooting Guards hit 36% on average. And Shooting Guard is the only position on average that attempts more than 2.1 per game.

I don't think you are grasping just how good 36% would be from him. He would be in the upper echelon of centers shooting the 3 at that percentage.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's not good about that line? His number of attempts? I'll take 36% from 3 from our center any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Deven Booker shot 36% from 3 last year. Gordon and Royce were at 37%. The league average at his position is 32% and only Shooting Guards hit 36% on average. And Shooting Guard is the only position on average that attempts more than 2.1 per game.

I don't think you are grasping just how good 36% would be from him. He would be in the upper echelon of centers shooting the 3 at that percentage.
Yeah, I think anything >= 33% is decent.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering he shot just over 24% last season, anything over 30% would be a huge improvement.
I'm just saying 33% from three is equivalent to 50% from two and is decent. Anything over is a bonus.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Proximo looks for every negative angle.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with you. He went 43 of 119 for that season, so it is not a percentage based on just a few attempts. He improved his shooting. So the question is why did it drop so much last year? Was it coaching or the fact that there was no real point guard to get him the ball in situations where he could be effective shooting from there?

There should be hope that he can shoot much better. he has already done it for a full season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Suns preseason schedule.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Nurk's 3 shooting is unimportant to me. But I'd be thrilled if he could learn to make a layup at the hoop through contact. That'd buy us an extra 6-10 points per game. To me, that is Nurk's major weakness aside from having difficulty covering fast athletic wings. But he's a great passer and rebounder and screener. So I'll take that over Ayton the head case. (and Grayson as a sweetener in the deal!)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nurk's 3 shooting is unimportant to me. But I'd be thrilled if he could learn to make a layup at the hoop through contact. That'd buy us an extra 6-10 points per game. To me, that is Nurk's major weakness aside from having difficulty covering fast athletic wings. But he's a great passer and rebounder and screener. So I'll take that over Ayton the head case. (and Grayson as a sweetener in the deal!)
Um. What center can cover fast athletic wings? I am not sure even AD can do it. If he can cover centers that is good enough.

His three point shooting does matter.

Last edited:

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Um. What center can cover fast athletic wings? I am not sure even AD can do it. If he can cover centers that is good enough.

His three point shooting does matter.
True, most centers have great difficulty covering fast athletic wings, but Nurk might be in bottom 10% of starting centers in this regard IMHO. He is very slow footed laterally. But as I mentioned, he has some excellent qualities that help the team in other areas. And he always seems to give full effort each and every game (unlike Ayton). Just hope he stays as healthy through the season as he did last season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, most centers have great difficulty covering fast athletic wings, but Nurk might be in bottom 10% of starting centers in this regard IMHO. He is very slow footed laterally. But as I mentioned, he has some excellent qualities that help the team in other areas. And he always seems to give full effort each and every game (unlike Ayton). Just hope he stays as healthy through the season as he did last season.
Again. Name one center that covers fast athletic wings. That should not be his defensive assignment. If it is, he will be less effective in rebounding and defending the paint because he will be out of position. I agree about the layups. That has always been a problem with Nurk, even in Portland and Denver.