Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think with guys like Nurkic, the key is to design your system in a way that maximizes his strengths. He does one thing really well already (rebounding) so he is already useful. He is a very good passer/ playmaker, so you have the guys move and cut on offense. Defensively, there is less you can do. He is good enough to be a starter in this league. If this team is going to be an actual contender, they will need to be at least a top-three team on offense, and slightly above average on defense. Nurkic' skill set matches that formula.
They definitely need to scheme different so the paint isn't just a wide open lane like last season.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
They definitely need to scheme different so the paint isn't just a wide open lane like last season.
so true
I might be in the minority on this, but it's frustrating watching a player like Booker fight through a screen on defense (and get tangled up and become a chaser) only to have the player he was covering drive to the hoop and score at will against our slow-footed center. I'd like to see more switching on defense where possible. We need a better outside line of defense that prevents some of this penetration. We can't rely on our bigs to bail us out inside. Going forward, we now have true point guards with limited height, so I see this as a continuing defensive issue....maybe even worse than last year. But our new PGs will undoubtedly help our offense. Hopefully more than the defense will suffer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so true
I might be in the minority on this, but it's frustrating watching a player like Booker fight through a screen on defense (and get tangled up and become a chaser) only to have the player he was covering drive to the hoop and score at will against our slow-footed center. I'd like to see more switching on defense where possible. We need a better outside line of defense that prevents some of this penetration. We can't rely on our bigs to bail us out inside. Going forward, we now have true point guards with limited height, so I see this as a continuing defensive issue....maybe even worse than last year. But our new PGs will undoubtedly help our offense. Hopefully more than the defense will suffer.

Hopefully the Suns can make up for weaknesses on defense with better offense and fewer turnovers. Maybe Bud has some ideas how to improve the defense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I'm being pretty fair. It's not exactly a bold take to say that center is a weak spot for us or that Nurkic is not among the better starting centers around the league, I don't know exactly where I'd place him, but probably around 20th.
Center isn't great, but forward is much weaker.

Our centers are fairly comparable with a lot of teams, our forwards are bottom tier in the league however.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so true
I think we could improve more on defense than anticipated. Devin Booker just couldn't guard that spot, moving him back to the shooting guard position at least lets us improve at one position, if not both guard spots.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And who else?

You need 4 forwards and we really have 1 and a half. KD and Bol.

I agree, other than Durant and question marks about Bol Bol, the Suns are really small at forward.

Royce O'Neale is only 6'4".

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Royce O'Neal? Book can play SF. In fact, Book will be our starting SF if Jones starts.
Never been a fan of guys playing out of position (Book is no SF) unless it's for very small stints (situational). It's typically not a title producing strategy

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been a fan of guys playing out of position (Book is no SF) unless it's for very small stints (situational). It's typically not a title producing strategy

I've resigned myself to the Suns running a three guard offense unless someone steps up. The Suns key players are small, other than Durant.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've resigned myself to the Suns running a three guard offense unless someone steps up. The Suns key players are small, other than Durant.
Yep, which is why I am not confident this will not work in heavy doses. It rarely has.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, which is why I am not confident this will not work in heavy doses. It rarely has.

The Suns would like to replicate the recent championship Warriors teams to be successful with their overall lack of size.

Unfortunately, NBA teams seem to be getting bigger.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The Suns would like need to replicate the recent championship Warriors teams to be successful with their overall lack of size.

Unfortunately, NBA teams seem to be getting bigger.
Indeed. Another trend that dummy James Jones has lagged behind for the last few years at least.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Indeed. Another trend that dummy James Jones has lagged behind for the last few years at least.
But we do have small guys. We have to lean into it at this point. It is going to be something to see. I have no idea how this is going to work unless we just run it down people's throats. Run the legs off those bigs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my tickets for February 20th in Austin. Expensive. Very popular and already almost sold out.

Good for you. Hopefully the Suns are looking good after the trade deadline.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
I think we could improve more on defense than anticipated. Devin Booker just couldn't guard that spot, moving him back to the shooting guard position at least lets us improve at one position, if not both guard spots.
But if anything, this season I see Booker playing more small forward than shooting guard due to our smallish PG acquisitions.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if anything, this season I see Booker playing more small forward than shooting guard due to our smallish PG acquisitions.
Maybe but he's much worse defending at the 1 spot IMO. Personally, I'd leave him at the two spot and play Royce or someone else at the 3 but I'm sure there will be times when Beal and Booker are playing alongside an actual point guard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky