Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be, but who is to know for sure.

I enjoyed it more when Flex went out on a limb making predictions whether right or wrong.
If that's all he was doing I wouldn't have minded Flex. However, he made emphatic statements time and time again that were incorrect.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's all he was doing I wouldn't have minded Flex. However, he made emphatic statements time and time again that were incorrect.

Yeah, but Flex hit a couple out of the park. I never take rumors too seriously. It's more for entertainment. His predictions were educated.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but Flex hit a couple out of the park. I never take rumors too seriously. It's more for entertainment. His predictions were educated.
I guess if you throw enough noodles against the wall you will hit. This is also the same guy that deleted multiple tweets after getting called out. This is the same guy that Gambo blasted on multiple occasions for not knowing what he was talking about. This is the same guy who suggested an illegal trade was a done deal. He should have known that trade was illegal. Also, the same guy that said Booker's nose wasn't broken. I could go on.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess if you throw enough noodles against the wall you will hit. This is also the same guy that deleted multiple tweets after getting called out. This is the same guy that Gambo blasted on multiple occasions for not knowing what he was talking about. This is the same guy who suggested an illegal trade was a done deal. He should have known that trade was illegal. Also, the same guy that said Booker's nose wasn't broken. I could go on.
At the end of the day, so what? Will I miss all the "conversations" he has with so-called insiders? Not really. He was overwhelmingly positive in just about everything, I wonder if that just rubbed some people (like Sol) the wrong way.

As long as PHNX continues to have Gerald Bourguet and Lindsey Smith, I will continue to listen.

Reaction score
Fair.

What do you think of Book vs. Embiid? You obviously think Embiid is better than Book, but how much better do you think he is? I'm on the fence about that comparison.
Why would anyone compare Booker and Embiid?

I think anyone who constructively answers that question is wasting their time, because comparing a classic center-type to a classic guard-type inherently is a waste of time. It's an apples-oranges comparison. If some would compare Booker to Embiid, why don't they also compare Michael Jordan with Wilt Chamberlain. Or...compare Jordan with Hakeem Olajuwon, the NBA's other greatest player of the nineties. (Jordan vs. Olajuwon is really a better case study in how a 6'6' guard is so different from a roughly 7-foot center that comparison is pointless.)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, so what? Will I miss all the "conversations" he has with so-called insiders? Not really. He was overwhelmingly positive in just about everything, I wonder if that just rubbed some people (like Sol) the wrong way.

As long as PHNX continues to have Gerald Bourguet and Lindsey Smith, I will continue to listen.
At the end of the day the show is better without him. He brought nothing to the table. That's what. I actually like the other guys like Bourquet and Smith.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why would anyone compare Booker and Embiid?

I think anyone who constructively answers that question is wasting their time, because comparing a classic center-type to a classic guard-type inherently is a waste of time. It's an apples-oranges comparison. If some would compare Booker to Embiid, why don't they also compare Michael Jordan with Wilt Chamberlain. Or...compare Jordan with Hakeem Olajuwon, the NBA's other greatest player of the nineties. (Jordan vs. Olajuwon is really a better case study in how a 6'6' guard is so different from a roughly 7-foot center that comparison is pointless.)
Was worth the time it took for you to write this post, so there is that.

Why is the question that big of a deal? It wasn't about comparing rebounding rates or mid range shooting stats - it was about their standing as superstars in the league. Someone said that Book was surrounded by players who were better than him, and I was wanting to know why that is.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Lindsey is cute. Gerald runs numbers and comes up with really informed info. He's the star of the PHX network, imho.

Reaction score
Was worth the time it took for you to write this post, so there is that.

Why is the question that big of a deal? It wasn't about comparing rebounding rates or mid range shooting stats - it was about their standing as superstars in the league. Someone said that Book was surrounded by players who were better than him, and I was wanting to know why that is.
Weelll, if you are interested only in comparing their popularity, how about this? I work in a large retailer in a certain midwestern state that has no NBA team. I have seen several young men walk in wearing Devin Booker jerseys. I can't say I've ever seen a Joel Embiid jersey.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So... whoever Flex personally knew on the training staff cut him off or got fired?

He had a good grift for a while there, I don't know how much being a third rate "insider" for a 2nd rate franchise pays... but he extracted all it was worth.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he brought value he would have brought in more views.
Really?

I think there is a finite amount of Suns fans willing to listen to a podcast, and I have never listened to a podcast host on a panel of several that had enough pull to get me to listen when otherwise I would not.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really?

I think there is a finite amount of Suns fans willing to listen to a podcast, and I have never listened to a podcast host on a panel of several that had enough pull to get me to listen when otherwise I would not.
Gerald does that for me, but only because he's the best beat writer in the Valley.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really?

Sometimes they have a guest on the podcast that makes listening worthwhile. Also, I like listening to different ideas, whether I agree or not, especially when the topic is interesting.

I was a bit flustered last season when I thought the PHNX podcast should have been pushing the need for a backup point guard early and often.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Zona
@AZSportsZone
·
6m

Bradley Beal quietly had a super-efficient season last year despite all the noise. Career-highs in TS% (60.7), eFG% (58.2) and 3PT% (43.0).

And yet the consensus is that he hardly impacted the team's W-L, which means that having even higher expectations for him is quite unrealistic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet the consensus is that he hardly impacted the team's W-L, which means that having even higher expectations for him is quite unrealistic.

However, I think having higher expectations for the team is realistic. This is where the improvement should come, not isolation basketball. Bradley Beal was one of the few Suns players that constantly talked about the need for better defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Big Al

I hope to see you posting more. As a former coach, I believe in high school, you probably know more about basketball than most of us combined.

Anyway, I always enjoy your opinions!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really?

Do you not know how ratings or views work? You bring people into your team to draw in new views or listeners. If that doesn't happen, there is no value. Just because YOU do something doesn't mean that resonates with others.

Reaction score
I am reading about how stable and efficient Tyus Jones' playmaking is. That gives me the impression that he is an anti-Steve Nash. Here is what I mean. I saw Nash's playmaking style as extremely high-risk and difficult to keep up with. In retrospect, Nash was an acquired taste, to me. I think I would rather have "my" point guard make efficient, safe passes/plays than clever, tricky ones.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am reading about how stable and efficient Tyus Jones' playmaking is. That gives me the impression that he is an anti-Steve Nash. Here is what I mean. I saw Nash's playmaking style as extremely high-risk and difficult to keep up with. In retrospect, Nash was an acquired taste, to me. I think I would rather have "my" point guard make efficient, safe passes than clever, tricky ones.
Steve Nash, speaking only about offense, is the best pure point guard I've ever seen. His biggest flaw, other than his lack of physicality (mostly, his inability to handle that physicality), was that he was too unselfish. During his peak years he averaged 11 assists and 3.5 turnovers per game along with scoring in the mid to high teens with great efficiency. Those are superstar numbers.

It's a team game and he was the ultimate team player but had he wanted to I believe he could have easily averaged close to 30. In comparing the two, keep in mind there's a reason he won two MVP titles while Tyus spent most of his career backing up other PGs. And he's also the reason that a lot of high quality rotation players chose to sign with Phoenix, he makes other players better and ultimately made those players more money.

Getting Tyus was a huge steal for us but part of that "steal" was that we got him without giving up any assets. He's not a great overall guard but he is a very good facilitator and with the weapons we have he should have a banner year on offense. But it still won't be a Steve Nash year, he just isn't in that class. JMO.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am reading about how stable and efficient Tyus Jones' playmaking is. That gives me the impression that he is an anti-Steve Nash. Here is what I mean. I saw Nash's playmaking style as extremely high-risk and difficult to keep up with. In retrospect, Nash was an acquired taste, to me. I think I would rather have "my" point guard make efficient, safe passes/plays than clever, tricky ones.

There was nothing flashy about Nash, unless you compare his style to Stockton. In that era he did push the pace though which added some 'flash' to the game at the time, it was exciting. He has about 700 less assist than Lebron James and over 1,700 less turnovers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was nothing flashy about Nash, unless you compare his style to Stockton. In that era he did push the pace though which added some 'flash' to the game at the time, it was exciting. He has about 700 less assist than Lebron James and over 1,700 less turnovers.
Yeah, he was sneaky as all get-out but I certainly never thought of him as a flashy player.

Reaction score
Yeah, he was sneaky as all get-out but I certainly never thought of him as a flashy player.
Flash? No...that's a bad thing that should make one think of Jason Williams. I have in mind that Nash's playmaking was cerebral, difficult and risky. I don't really care whether it looked flashy or not; "flashy" is strictly an appearance, to me. I care only about Nash't turnover rate being much higher than Jones.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flash? No...that's a bad thing that should make one think of Jason Williams. I have in mind that Nash's playmaking was cerebral, difficult and risky. I don't really care whether it looked flashy or not; "flashy" is strictly an appearance, to me. I care only about Nash't turnover rate being much higher than Jones.

If a team is running a fast-paced offense like SSOL there will be turnovers. Steve Nash pushed the pace.

What's the saying, "no risk it, no biscuit."