Suns @ 76ers 11-19-18

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. when players pick up their second foul, lets say in the 1st quarter, oh yeah you bet the other team will try to draw the 3rd on them before the half. Same thing when they have 5. The opponent is more likely to have more confidence in scoring and attacking, they have a lot to gain by taking valuable personnel out of the game. It is to their advantage.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched a Coach work the refs on this. All you have to do is wait until they are at your end of the court and then yell something like "no more fouls, they're trying to bait you". Most refs aren't stupid, once aware that a star is in foul trouble, they'll usually be extra careful to make sure future fouls are legit. And from what I've heard, you have to make them aware. Apparently they don't typically pay much attention to individual foul numbers.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
we've all seen the go-hard-at-the-guy-with-too-many-fouls strategy backfire when the offensive team goes away from their strength to waste possessions on 1-on-1 scenarios. good team defense can also compensate for that strategy.

i just don't see any consistent validation for coaches consistently pulling players like clockwork after their 2nd foul in the first q, 3rd foul in the third q, etc..

most amusing is them pulling the player the last minute of the second q only to start them the third, as if there's an advantage to not picking up the foul before half time.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Congratulations to the referees. They made sure Sixers home court winning streak is still alive. Some bookies are probably very happy about this.