Suns after Austin Croshere?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
I just read on another message board (from a reliable poster) that Suns would go after Austin for the vet minimum if he were waived via the amnesty rule. He apparently got it from a radio station in town. I have no idea if its true, but since we here love to debate the merits of any and all possibilities, i thought I'd throw this into the fray :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
playstation said:
I just read on another message board (from a reliable poster) that Suns would go after Austin for the vet minimum if he were waived via the amnesty rule. He apparently got it from a radio station in town. I have no idea if its true, but since we here love to debate the merits of any and all possibilities, i thought I'd throw this into the fray :)

Maybe he's the next Mihm, a white stiff that found new life on another team. Then again... :shrug:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Alright lets get another guy who's slow and can't play defense.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Maybe he's the next Mihm, a white stiff that found new life on another team. Then again... :shrug:

Croshere's much more explosive with the ball than Mihm. He's not quick, but his first step on the baseline is impressive. He can also shoot and rebound a little. He's just not a starter.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He also has a little "Ginobli" flopping skill in him! I remember last time I saw him play, he was hitting the floor on almost every play he had the ball. He did get to the line a bunch. ;)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
my god with a flopper this team will be ready to challenge the Spurs.

happy days

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

I must have missed this slow team last year. :rolleyes:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I seem to remember him having a few good shooting nights and a whole bunch of bad ones.

Austin NOshere I say:)

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
JPlay said:

exactly. i mean kurt thomas and raja bell, jeez, talk about offense only players. sometimes i just can't stand our singlemindedness with offense...

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
sometimes i wonder if jplay witnessed the same 2005 suns season the rest of us did....saying that, croshere is garbage and would be walter mccarty on our team....(little shooting ability, better board guy, less defense though)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
sometimes i wonder if jplay witnessed the same 2005 suns season the rest of us did....saying that, croshere is garbage and would be walter mccarty on our team....(little shooting ability, better board guy, less defense though)

Puhlease. Croshere isn't starter material, but he's a lot better than McCarty.

sunsfn

Reaction score
When Larry Bird was the coach with Indiana, he played Croshere a lot and Croshere had an excellent year. In the off season they signed him to a new contract.

Bird left and Isiah Thomas came on board as coach, Thomas refused to play him most of the time.

Bird came back to the team and promptly fired Thomas.
Now Carlisle is coach and he has been getting more minutes and has had some good games. He played well as a starter after the players were suspended last year, and was one of the reasons they continued to win at a pace no one expected.

For the minimum he would be a very good hustle guy that can hit the 3 and rebound, and he always seems to play hard.

-

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:

What? I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Because Croshere is garbage! He rarely played on a team short of players last year. I would rather not contribute further to our defensive deficiency.

sunsfn

Reaction score
JPlay said:
What? I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Because Croshere is garbage! He rarely played on a team short of players last year. I would rather not contribute further to our defensive deficiency.

JPlay, you are wrong about him barely playing.

He started a lot of games during that time.

There are a lot of player better than Croshere, but there are just as many worse.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He rarely played on a team short of players last year.

You really should check some facts once in a while.

Croshere played in 73 games last season, starting 22 of them, and averaged 25 minutes. I think it's safe to say that he didn't play particularly well, but it's just plain wrong to say that he "rarely played."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually surprised to see how well Croshere's numbers were early in the season. Thru the first 20 games he averaged around 13.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game in about 30 minutes of time.

He'd be a big upgrade over Walter - but that's not saying much. He's also the ONLY white 6'9-ish PF in the last 15 years to ever be a contributor on a title-contender! No bitching from me on that one!

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
JPlay, you are wrong about him barely playing.

He started a lot of games during that time.

There are a lot of player better than Croshere, but there are just as many worse.

He's a descent role player, but he's not as good as you think. Defensive liability.

Do you think he's a good shooter, because he's a careeer 33% from behind the arc. last year he shot 25% from 3.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Croshere is exactly what we've come to expect from the Phoenix Suns. He might be the best fit available, especially for the minimum. He can play either forward position, and he would probably knock down a decent percentage of his three-point shots. He'll grab some rebounds and play some defense... not well, but he will play some defense. :)

I wouldn't be unhappy with Lonnie Jones and Austen Croshere.

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
He's a descent role player, but he's not as good as you think.

pickings are slim for any kind of size as far as being role players. If you could get him for the minimum, what would it hurt? Especially seeing that putrid list of PF/Cs available out there. No one thinks he'll come in and be the second coming of anything - but he could play a couple minutes and at least be mroe useful than a McCarty would.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
elindholm said:
He rarely played on a team short of players last year.

You really should check some facts once in a while.

Croshere played in 73 games last season, starting 22 of them, and averaged 25 minutes. I think it's safe to say that he didn't play particularly well, but it's just plain wrong to say that he "rarely played."

I still don't think that's a lot of time for them being so short handed. I did see that he put a good stretch together for the beginning of November when he jacked up a lot shots, but it's pretty rare for him to crack 15 or 20 points even with almost 40 minutes.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
He's a great deal for the minimum, but you don't get a vet with that many years in the league for the minimum. These guys aren't idiots and Croshere may not have very much longer to collect and NBA paycheck.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
He's a great deal for the minimum, but you don't get a vet with that many years in the league for the minimum. These guys aren't idiots and Croshere may not have very much longer to collect and NBA paycheck.

You understand why he would sign for the minimum, right? It does nothing to affect his actual pay, it only affects our bottom line.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You understand why he would sign for the minimum, right? It does nothing to affect his actual pay, it only affects our bottom line.

If he gets waived then he still collects his former salary, but does he have to accept the minimum. Are you just assuming he would take the minimum to play for a contender.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JPlay said:
If he gets waived then he still collects his former salary, but does he have to accept the minimum. Are you just assuming he would take the minimum to play for a contender.

He gets paid the same. If he take the min the team he signed with pays the min and get gets his old salary ( minus the min or what ever he signs for) Unless he gets a max offer or more than what he was making he will get paid the same.