Suns among teams interested in Eric Gordon

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The offers are sure to be even more plentiful this summer. Sources close to the situation said Indiana, Phoenix, Portland and Dallas are among the teams with interest in Gordon.

As for Phoenix, the future of free-agent-to-be Steve Nash (whose cap hold is a whopping $17.5 million) would have to be resolved before Gordon could be added. If the Suns renounced his rights in order to make a quick move on Gordon, they not only would run the risk of missing out on both players but also lose the ability to go above the salary cap to re-sign Nash in the event that they landed Gordon and the future Hall of Fame point guard wanted to join him.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...04/12/gordon.hornets/index.html#ixzz1rtAGUSYi
I think its a great idea and I honestly think we should offer him max or close to max money. The guy's only 23 years old and he's already shown tremendous potential. He's already had a season where he put up 22 pts a game and our HC Alvin Gentry is also a big fan of his. I'm also a big Gordon fan and I think he's gonna be the next superstar in the league especially if he can play alongside Nash for a few years to teach him up. Plays well on both sides of the court and is a very humble guy....please Sarver make Eric Gordon the big free agent acquisition that you have been hyping up about!

Does he have an injury problem? Well yea but our med and training staff can fix him up in no time! If they can do their magic on 40 year old guys like Nash, Hill, Shaq and 34 year old Redd then a 23 year old Eric Gordon shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
offering Gordon a huge contract after passing on a huge contract for Amare will make zero sense whatsoever considering that Gordon's averaging missing 30 games a season through the last three years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I pity the team that pays Gordon max money, he is certainly not a max player. If he's you're third best player, fine, but he sure as hell isn't a top 2 player on a team, and max money is just insane.

Luckily he is restricted, so even if we do something stupid, the Hornets can follow it with something even more stupid.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
This is the position current ownership will be in going forward, with having to overpay 2nd tier free agents a la Joe Johnson or Tom Gugliotta. With that said, comparing this to an Amare extension is apples to oranges because of the difference between pre & post CBA contracts.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
offering Gordon a huge contract after passing on a huge contract for Amare will make zero sense whatsoever considering that Gordon's averaging missing 30 games a season through the last three years.
Gordon's missed close to the same amount that Dwayne Wade did in his first 3 years so does that you mean you think giving Wade a big contract makes no sense also?

And the Amare situation is so much different. First of all Amare was way older than Gordon. Amare was already in the late stages of his prime game while Gordon has yet to even hit his prime despite showing great potential. Secondly the CBA is a lot different now than in the past. Thirdly, A'mare was a one dimensional player who was only effective on offense while Gordon is solid at the defensive end of the game also.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Gordon's missed close to the same amount that Dwayne Wade did in his first 3 years so does that you mean you think giving Wade a big contract makes no sense also?

And the Amare situation is so much different. First of all Amare was way older than Gordon. Amare was already in the late stages of his prime game while Gordon has yet to even hit his prime despite showing great potential. Secondly the CBA is a lot different now than in the past. Thirdly, A'mare was a one dimensional player who was only effective on offense while Gordon is solid at the defensive end of the game also.

What a comparison. Gordon is also just 1/10 of the player Wade was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if Gordon was a guy who showed he could lead a lottery team to the playoffs in his first year like Wade did... or put up numbers like 24/7/5 in his second year while being the best player on a 59 win team... or winning the MVP of the Finals in his third year putting up 27/7/6, then your question might be worth answering, but considering that Gordon's numbers are nowhere near that and his health has deterioriated every single year in the league and he doesn't have near Wade athleticism, your point is... well... to put it politely... not really worth talking about much more.

seriously... the guy has missed 20 games, then 26 games and now an entire season... while never coming close to Wade's ability to be a consistent playmaker and he's a pathetic rebounder for a two guard.

And the Amare situation is so much different. First of all Amare was way older than Gordon. Amare was already in the late stages of his prime game while Gordon has yet to even hit his prime despite showing great potential.

he's a small SG who doesn't rebound well and is an average playmaker. He's Ben Gordon on roids.... except Ben Gordon could at least stay somewhat healthy. Now if you want us to make the same stupid as mistake as the Pistons and blow our wad on that, well, take a look at the Pistons and see what that got them.

Secondly the CBA is a lot different now than in the past.

so, if we sign Gordon to a MAX contract or near it, we can get out of it in a jiffy and have no worries? Is the CBA THAT different that we can do that?

Thirdly, A'mare was a one dimensional player who was only effective on offense while Gordon is solid at the defensive end of the game also.

no he's not. He's a scorer with ok playmaking skills, is a poor rebounder for the 2 slot and averages 1 steal per game.

sorry... but if you're going to balk at paying Amare big dollars, it makes no sense to throw the boat at a constantly injured version of Ben Gordon.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

You honestly mention Eric Gordon in the same breath as Wade? Talk about losing all credibility with one post.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if Gordon was a guy who showed he could lead a lottery team to the playoffs in his first year like Wade did... or put up numbers like 24/7/5 in his second year while being the best player on a 59 win team... or winning the MVP of the Finals in his third year putting up 27/7/6, then your question might be worth answering, but considering that Gordon's numbers are nowhere near that and his health has deterioriated every single year in the league and he doesn't have near Wade athleticism, your point is... well... to put it politely... not really worth talking about much more.

seriously... the guy has missed 20 games, then 26 games and now an entire season... while never coming close to Wade's ability to be a consistent playmaker and he's a pathetic rebounder for a two guard.

he's a small SG who doesn't rebound well and is an average playmaker. He's Ben Gordon on roids.... except Ben Gordon could at least stay somewhat healthy. Now if you want us to make the same stupid as mistake as the Pistons and blow our wad on that, well, take a look at the Pistons and see what that got them.

so, if we sign Gordon to a MAX contract or near it, we can get out of it in a jiffy and have no worries? Is the CBA THAT different that we can do that?

no he's not. He's a scorer with ok playmaking skills, is a poor rebounder for the 2 slot and averages 1 steal per game.

sorry... but if you're going to balk at paying Amare big dollars, it makes no sense to throw the boat at a constantly injured version of Ben Gordon.

The issue with Amare was that he had an exoplosive game but he was playing it on knees made of tissue paper and scotch tape. That huge guaranteed uninsurable contract could not be jjustified based on reasonable risks.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not saying Gordon is better than Wade but he can still be a pretty damn good player. I used the Heat as an example cause he missed a lot of time in his first few seasons too but then became sort of consistently healthy, same can happen for Gordon.

And do you forget that Phoenix has the best medical staff in the league?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Come one, it's quite surprising to see the hate toward Eric Gordon.

Ben Gordon (even in his best years) was more of a jumpshooter than Eric Gordon. E. Gordon attacks the rim more, draws much more FT's while still dishing out more assists than Ben Gordon ever did.

Besides Ben Gordon was always a bad defender while Eric Gordon is a solid one.

Furthermore B. Gordon was two years older when he got overpaid (and things turned out much worse for the Pistons since then) than Eric Gordon is now.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I don't think Gordon is great but the thing that I'd like about signing, is he's supposedly another solid pick n roll threat.

Teaming up Gordon and Gortat (for the next few years) would be a nice combo. Nash isn't getting any younger and if the Suns are keeping Gortat for another 5-10 years, I'd like another p'n'roll option.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sinking big money in players who wouldnt even make this team a playoff lock seems like the worst thing we could possibly do.

Gordon is not a center piece player. And if they pay him big cash they wont be able to sign a legit franchise player should one become available, and they also will probably be a 30-40 win team which would preclude them from having a decent shot to land one in the draft.

Take a page out of Sam Presi's book. Dump your big contracts, dont sign any new big contracts, load up on picks, even late round ones. It will mean some lean years, but the fans are more likely to support a young and (hopefully) exciting 20 win team than an old and expensive 30 win team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying Gordon is better than Wade but he can still be a pretty damn good player.

if you're not saying he's as good as Wade or that he's better than Wade (and nowhere did I even imply that you did), then there's no reason to bring Wade up.

I used the Heat as an example cause he missed a lot of time in his first few seasons too but then became sort of consistently healthy, same can happen for Gordon.

well, your example isn't even accurate. Wade missed 20 games his first year and then missed 5 the next two years. And Wade had shown the ability to be a complete and utter superstar in his first three years, leading lteams to the best record in the league and a title. Thus it's pointless to say we should bring in Gordon because of what Wade did.

And do you forget that Phoenix has the best medical staff in the league?

that's great and all... but using that logic, wouldn't you say we should have spent the money on a guy like Amare?

Gordon's a good player when healthy, but he's had incredible problems staying healthy. That's not a guy I want choking our cap for years to come. It's a move of desperation and stupidity ala the Pistons.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get really nervous when I see snippets in the press like this. I'm sorry to pile on, but a maximum contract? Seriously? Are you his agent? I'm not as anxious as some people here to blow this whole thing up and rebuild through the draft, but I sure as hell don't want them to make desperate signings like this trying to stay relevant.

To be honest I wouldn't want Gordon even if his contract was really reasonable.

Joe

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Eric Gordon is kind of like Monta Ellis with worse passing and less dribbeling to be honest. He is pretty one-dimensional for a shooting guard and undersized.

Bradley Beal is a better prospect than Gordon.

I think you can be fine when Gordon is your 3rd or 4th best player. If he is in your top 2 you are not going to be really good. If the shooting guard position wasn't in such a sorry state without TMac, Brandon Roy and aging Carter and such then Gordon wouldn't even be considered as a borderline allstar.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric Gordon is kind of like Monta Ellis with worse passing and less dribbeling to be honest. He is pretty one-dimensional for a shooting guard and undersized.

Bradley Beal is a better prospect than Gordon.

I think you can be fine when Gordon is your 3rd or 4th best player. If he is in your top 2 you are not going to be really good. If the shooting guard position wasn't in such a sorry state without TMac, Brandon Roy and aging Carter and such then Gordon wouldn't even be considered as a borderline allstar.

agreed. Gordon as your #3 piece alongside two bona-fide stars is a great piece. But as your number 2... or on this team, he'd be our number 1 option? No thanks.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what?

Eric Gordon was a much better player in college than Beal.

because every player in the draft is going to be a superstar unless the Phoenix Suns like them and then they suck.

Joe

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Based on what?

Eric Gordon was a much better player in college than Beal.

No he wasn't, Beal has shown many facettes in college. He is a great rebounder for a guard too.

Beal DOUBLES Gordon on the boards in the same minutes, shot the same 3pt%, a higher overall FG%, more blocks, more steals, slightly less assists, much fewer turnovers..

Really Eric Gordon did nothing better in college except volume scoring.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No he wasn't, Beal has shown many facettes in college. He is a great rebounder for a guard too.

Beal DOUBLES Gordon on the boards in the same minutes, shot the same 3pt%, a higher overall FG%, more blocks, more steals, slightly less assists, much fewer turnovers..

Really Eric Gordon did nothing better in college except volume scoring.

Eh-eh, volume scoring :)

Since when is rebounding an important factor for a SG? Especially playing for a team without any rebounding force?

Otherwise, your post is a nice try to tweak stats.

Having seen both Beal and Gordon in college numerous times, Gordon was definitely a much more dominant player who had an excellent teammate to share the offensive load with in DJ White, yet he was a college superstar until Indiana fell apart after the Sampson-scandal.
Plus Gordon already has became a very good NBA player.

I'm not saying that Beal is a bad prospect, he is a nice one, he is the smaller version of Joe Johnson but saying that Beal is a better prospect than Eric Gordon was just doesn't hold any water no matter how you think that some fragments of steals and rebounds change their evaluations.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
A rebound is a rebound and Beal played with one of the top big man prospects in Patric Young so how is that a team without any rebounding force?

The difference between a shooting guard struggling to get 3 rebounds per game and a shooting guard that gets you more than 6 is just as big as the difference between a Power Forward giving you 8 instead of 11.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
A rebound is a rebound and Beal played with one of the top big man prospects in Patric Young so how is that a team without any rebounding force?

The difference between a shooting guard struggling to get 3 rebounds per game and a shooting guard that gets you more than 6 is just as big as the difference between a Power Forward giving you 8 instead of 11.

While rebounding is a nice bonus to have, it is not as important for a shooting guard. I can live with a shooting guard who gets 20ppg with the ability to create his own shot, even if he only grabs 2 rebounds a game as opposed to 4.

Not a huge Gordon fan, and I hope the Suns don't overpay for him, but to complain about his rebounding is just silly.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The relevant question to ask is whether a high-rebounding SG is taking rebounds away from his opponents or from his teammates.