Suns among teams interested in Eric Gordon

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Eric Gordon is one of the worst rebounders among all guards in the entire NBA though. It is not just that he is just average, his rebounding is pathetic.

The only guards in the NBA this year that play at least 25mpg and have a total rebounding rate of less than 4.5 are

Mo Williams 4.2
Jason Terry 4.2
Jamal Crawford 4.1
Mike Conley 4.0
Jeff Teague 4.0
Devin Harris 3.5

Eric Gordon TRR
in 2009 = 4.3
in 2010 = 4.2
in 2011 = 4.5

He is possibly the worst rebounder at his position in the league considering that only a handful of PG rank worse. Steve Nash's worst was 5.3. The league average for shooting guards is 6.3

His assist rate has been below league average for his position every year except last year when he was slightly above the average.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we're really going to throw the max down on a player this offseason not named Deron Williams, then I'd prefer it to be Batum.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While rebounding is a nice bonus to have, it is not as important for a shooting guard. I can live with a shooting guard who gets 20ppg with the ability to create his own shot, even if he only grabs 2 rebounds a game as opposed to 4.

Not a huge Gordon fan, and I hope the Suns don't overpay for him, but to complain about his rebounding is just silly.

but when people are talking about him being a MAX player or near that level, I think it's appropriate to discuss as a reason he's NOT at that level or worth that money, isn't it?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Eric Gordon is one of the worst rebounders among all guards in the entire NBA though. It is not just that he is just average, his rebounding is pathetic.

The only guards in the NBA this year that play at least 25mpg and have a total rebounding rate of less than 4.5 are

Mo Williams 4.2
Jason Terry 4.2
Jamal Crawford 4.1
Mike Conley 4.0
Jeff Teague 4.0
Devin Harris 3.5

Eric Gordon TRR
in 2009 = 4.3
in 2010 = 4.2
in 2011 = 4.5

He is possibly the worst rebounder at his position in the league considering that only a handful of PG rank worse. Steve Nash's worst was 5.3. The league average for shooting guards is 6.3

His assist rate has been below league average for his position every year except last year when he was slightly above the average.
Your acting as if Gordon has played in the league for 7 years and sucks at all those things in all 7 years.

Gordon is barely in his 4th year. His 3rd year was his coming out year. He showed a small glimpse of what he's capable of in that 10-11 season.

I am so glad that I made this thread because in the future when Gordon beasts (with the Suns or not) I will be sure to bump this thread and embarrass the hell out of all the Gordon Haters.

(Yes I'm that confident that he will be that good)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He isnt as awful as slinslin makes it sound, I'd say he is more like a poor man's Ray Allen. But if Gordon is one of you're 2 best players, you're probably a 30 win team... and thats if he stay healthy. Which he is totally unable to do.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your acting as if Gordon has played in the league for 7 years and sucks at all those things in all 7 years.

Gordon is barely in his 4th year. His 3rd year was his coming out year. He showed a small glimpse of what he's capable of in that 10-11 season.

I am so glad that I made this thread because in the future when Gordon beasts (with the Suns or not) I will be sure to bump this thread and embarrass the hell out of all the Gordon Haters.

(Yes I'm that confident that he will be that good)

Make sure that you bump the thread if in the future he is spending the majority of his time nursing his injured knee.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I will. If I'm wrong, I have no problem coming back and say "BOY WAS I WRONG!"

But I doubt I will be wrong on this topic.

BTW Gordon tonight in win vs Jazz: 25 pts, 11-18 FGs, 2-5 3pt, 6 assists

We needed Utah to lose and Gordon is already helping out the Suns before he even puts on a Phoenix jersey :D

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
that's great and all... but using that logic, wouldn't you say we should have spent the money on a guy like Amare?

Gordon's a good player when healthy, but he's had incredible problems staying healthy. That's not a guy I want choking our cap for years to come. It's a move of desperation and stupidity ala the Pistons.
Amare was different. Amare wasn't a go to scorer like Gordon. You couldn't give Amare the ball in crunch time and say "go to work" Also Amare only played one on side of the court, offense. A one dimensional player doesn't deserve the max if he is the most durable guy in the NBA. Also Amare was a lot older than Gordon and Amare had already hit his ceiling while Gordon still has so much game changing potential.

But its my opinion man, I'm done arguing with you on this. I feel like Gordon's play on the court when healthy is enough to risk his health issues but you feel different.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not know what not signing Amare and signing Gordon have to do with each other. I cannot imagine ANYONE at this point saying we should have signed Amare. He already has one of the worst liability type contracts in the league and it does not look like he is going to get any better.

I have not seen Gordon enough to know.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
but when people are talking about him being a MAX player or near that level, I think it's appropriate to discuss as a reason he's NOT at that level or worth that money, isn't it?

Saying that he is not a max player because he only gets four rebounds a game is a rather poor argument. There are many reasons why Gordon is not a max player, but 4 rebounds per game isn't really one of them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know what not signing Amare and signing Gordon have to do with each other. I cannot imagine ANYONE at this point saying we should have signed Amare. He already has one of the worst liability type contracts in the league and it does not look like he is going to get any better.

I have not seen Gordon enough to know.

how do you not get this? They're both INCREDIBLY injury prone one dimensional players, thus, as it made no sense to throw a boatload of money at Amare, it makes even less sense to throw a boatload of money at a guy who's been even more injury prone without showing even close to the impact that Amare made.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saying that he is not a max player because he only gets four rebounds a game is a rather poor argument. There are many reasons why Gordon is not a max player, but 4 rebounds per game isn't really one of them.

you'd be right IF I limited my statement to "he doesn't get more than 4 boards per game, thus he's not a MAX player." A) he's doesn't even get 4 boards per game and B) and much more important to the discussion, I didn't say the above. I said he's not a good rebounder, he's an average playmaker and he's a liability at 6'3 on defense... AND he's incredibly injury prone. The sum of all of that is why I said he's not a near MAX player. Why you're choosing to just look at one aspect of my reasoning behind this is anyone's guess.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare was different. Amare wasn't a go to scorer like Gordon.

it's ludicrous to say that Gordon has proven himself a go-to-scorer. Guy's who average 19 ppg aren't go to scorers.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gordon is a liability on defense? Are you trying to be funny? He may be a bit undersized for his position, but he's still a solid and more than capable defender.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So now that the Hornets finally have a new owner, will that make them more or less likely to try to retain Gordon? They can certainly (over)pay him more than any other team.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
how do you not get this? They're both INCREDIBLY injury prone one dimensional players, thus, as it made no sense to throw a boatload of money at Amare, it makes even less sense to throw a boatload of money at a guy who's been even more injury prone without showing even close to the impact that Amare made.

Even if you are right in your evaluation of them (which I don't think you are) Amare is much more overpaid than Eric Gordon will be since Amare is older, more injury prone and signed a bigger contract that Gordon will be able to do due the fact that Amare was a veteran with 8 years in the league and was available for a max. contract starting with a higher salary.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A rebound is a rebound and Beal played with one of the top big man prospects in Patric Young so how is that a team without any rebounding force?

Patric Young was not a top big man prospect he seemed the 2nd coming of Etan Thomas which is not something to be enamored of.
There must have been a reason why he didn't declare for the draft.

He averaged 6.4 REB per game, he wasn't really a rebounding monster...

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I like Gordon but not at the max. People are so extreme with their opinions. He's a good player and one of the few that may come available. He's one of the best shooters in the league and gets to the line. LOL bitching about his rebounding. He was the main piece in the Paul trade after all. He's one of the best young 2s in the league. Also Nash won't stay unless the Suns get "make the effort to get better" which getting Gordon would qualify as.

Injuries are a concern but he'd be fine 2nd or 3rd option an is only getting better.

But max money would be a mistak as that too much money locked into a non feanchise player. And that's likely the only way you get him with NO matching anything reasonable.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the suns could use someone who averages 19 though....
Not to mention he averages 21 pts a game his last two seasons, and AGAIN HE'S ONLY 23 YEARS OLD SO THAT'S GONNA GO WAY UP.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to pay Gordon max money even if it was guaranteed he'd play 75+ games a year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Gordon but not at the max. People are so extreme with their opinions. He's a good player and one of the few that may come available. He's one of the best shooters in the league and gets to the line. LOL bitching about his rebounding.

Not sure why people keep focussing on the rebounding knock when it was just one amongst a number of different reasons as to why he's not a MAX player. I guess it's just easier to do that and argue in black and white terms and paint people's ideas as extreme rather than have an actual discussion.

Just because i don't think Gordon's worth anything near the MAX, doesn't mean i hate him or think he sucks. He's a good young player, but good young players who have his shortcomings don't get MAX deals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky