Suns among teams interested in Eric Gordon

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO, is Eric Gordon a max player? No, but it is the Phoenix Suns we are talking about so we will have to offer the max for him to even listen. Frankly, I am starting to warm up to keeping Shannon Brown and spend money on a guy like Kevin Garnett or Kris Humphries.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
did you really just post a couple "blow-bys" on Gordon Heyward for below the rim layups as proof his injuries are behind him. They were okay moves, but... really? that's your proof?

Trust him Cheese...

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
did you really just post a couple "blow-bys" on Gordon Heyward for below the rim layups as proof his injuries are behind him. They were okay moves, but... really? that's your proof?
That's not my proof. I don't have proof. But my gut says he will be fine and of course there is no reason for you to believe my gut so feel free not to.

And you make it seem like Hayward is a bad defender....you do realize he's one of the best young defenders in the NBA right?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...royer-celtics-improver-defense-165728282.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...re-concerned-about-defense-than-shooting.html

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not my proof. I don't have proof. But my gut says he will be fine and of course there is no reason for you to believe my gut so feel free not to.

And you make it seem like Hayward is a bad defender....you do realize he's one of the best young defenders in the NBA right?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...royer-celtics-improver-defense-165728282.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...re-concerned-about-defense-than-shooting.html

an article from the PRE-SEASON where Hayward talks about WANTING to focus on defense and a sports blog that says Hayward's not nearly as awful as he was last season when he was one of the worst defenders in the league is suppose to make me realize he's "one of the best young defenders in the NBA? are you purposefully posting this stuff to be funny?

and a 6'3 guard should be able to take a 6'8 F off the dribble with ease. He did. Not sure what that proves.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
IMO, is Eric Gordon a max player? No, but it is the Phoenix Suns we are talking about so we will have to offer the max for him to even listen. Frankly, I am starting to warm up to keeping Shannon Brown and spend money on a guy like Kevin Garnett or Kris Humphries.

I'd prefer a solid PF, as well.

Eric Gordon is solid and I posted he's supposedly become a good passer from pick n roll (Hollinger). However he's not that athletic and he's already a good shooter... so there's just not a lot of upside there. Undersized too. Injury prone, etc.

I don't know if any PF will be available via Trade (through cap space) but that could be option. It's too bad the Suns don't have an extra 1st Rounder this year - I'm not sure the Ibaka's, Derrick Williams', etc. could be had for two 1st Rounders but PF's on cheap contracts for Picks (2012) would give the Suns more cap space for other positions...

I'd like to keep the future Draft Picks but skipping out on Draft for 1 year for a young stud PF would've been, okay with me.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Not sure why people keep focussing on the rebounding knock when it was just one amongst a number of different reasons as to why he's not a MAX player. I guess it's just easier to do that and argue in black and white terms and paint people's ideas as extreme rather than have an actual discussion.

Just because i don't think Gordon's worth anything near the MAX, doesn't mean i hate him or think he sucks. He's a good young player, but good young players who have his shortcomings don't get MAX deals.

Apparently you didn't notice the multiple times I said Gordon wasn't a max player in my post.

Do you like to argue just for the sake of arguing?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
and a 6'3 guard should be able to take a 6'8 F off the dribble with ease. He did. Not sure what that proves.
Really? So any 6'3 guard should be able to take a guy like LeBron of dribble with ease? Same with Deng, Igoudala, Hill etc?

Wow, that's interesting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? So any 6'3 guard should be able to take a guy like LeBron of dribble with ease? Same with Deng, Igoudala, Hill etc?

Wow, that's interesting.

good lord... are you serious? I know you're gonna say you weren't specifically comparing Hayward to those guys, but... forget it. You're arguments are amongst the poorest I've ever read on this board and you're really not worth talking to anymore unless i want a chuckle or two.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His injuries are behind him, trust me.

Clearly.

He hasnt missed a game since WEDNESDAY!!! Thats 3 entire nights!!! And they even played a game during that stretch! His 6th this season!

No red flags here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
good lord... are you serious? I know you're gonna say you weren't specifically comparing Hayward to those guys, but... forget it. You're arguments are amongst the poorest I've ever read on this board and you're really not worth talking to anymore unless i want a chuckle or two.
That's all that I ever got from your arguments :D

And what's wrong, you said that a 6'3 guard should be able to beat a 6'8 player to the rim, and I gave you multiple scenarios of that situation likely not happening.

Your mistake was in your wording. You should have said something like, "well a capable player like Gordon should be able to beat a slower and bigger player like Hayward off dribble with ease"

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Clearly.

He hasnt missed a game since WEDNESDAY!!! Thats 3 entire nights!!! And they even played a game during that stretch! His 6th this season!

No red flags here.
Thanks, I'm glad your seeing it too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's all that I ever got from your arguments :D

And what's wrong, you said that a 6'3 guard should be able to beat a 6'8 player to the rim, and I gave you multiple scenarios of that situation likely not happening.

Your mistake was in your wording. You should have said something like, "well a capable player like Gordon should be able to beat a slower and bigger player like Hayward off dribble with ease"

i'm pretty sure you understood what i was saying there. bringing up the three best perimeter defenders in the game and the exception to the rule doesn't bolster your argument.

and to be honest, a 6'3 guard who's worth the MAX should be able to to get by anyone 6'8 with regularity. Gordon doesn't have that kind of athleticism tho.

again, good, but often injured player, who in no way shape or form deserves anything close to that kind of contract.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have a question for you cheesebeef, if Gordon didnt have the injury history, would you mind giving him max or close to it?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you cheesebeef, if Gordon didnt have the injury history, would you mind giving him max or close to it?

yeah. He's a very good player, but he's not an elite talent IMO. If he's your third star and you have two other superstars, you're golden, but if he's your number 2 or number 1 and being paid as such, I don't think you have a well structured title team.

you want to compare him to Wade, but Wade was a complete player with sick athleticism. Wade boarded at an above average level and was a elite playmaker at the 2 guard spot, averaging close to 7 in his prime, not to mention being an elite defender. Gordon's just doesn't have any of those attributes. He's a very good scorer, okay passer, bad rebounder and has decent, but not upper level athleticism... and he's chronically injured. Can't give that guy that much scratch.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Just saw this thread today. After watching the Eric Gordon saga up close & personal this year in NOLA, I'll say that we should pass on this guy, definitely at the max. Fragile doesn't even begin to describe this guy. Sneeze on him the wrong way and he's going to be out two games. He's as bad as Jermaine O'neal. Stay far away unless you want a repeat of Penny in 2000.

P.s. He's going to Indiana if he doesn't re-sign with New Orleans anyway.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
PPS, Nash wants us to make fancy moves, but we need low risk high-reward moves right now. A. Randolph, T. Williams, M. Beasley, etc. People that have been healthy, but haven't lived up to expectations elsewhere.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PPS, Nash wants us to make fancy moves, but we need low risk high-reward moves right now. A. Randolph, T. Williams, M. Beasley, etc. People that have been healthy, but haven't lived up to expectations elsewhere.

PHX can get a mixture of both. They could sign Garnett and T. Williams if SAC doesn't re-sign him. I like Williams but the knock on him is that he lacks range offensively, not a good perimeter shooter. But he certainly can pass, defend & rebound. Randolph & Beasley are guys who I feel will never live up to their hype.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If not Gordon, I would like to see us get Nicolas Batum. Not for the max, but something like 5 year 55 million? Probably even more than that.

An ELITE defender and a good 3pt shooter. His offense is improving and he's also super young. Athletically gifted too.

Even though it seems like Portland is gonna try to resign him no matter what, we can still offer him a HUGE contract and then if Portland matches well then we screwed up a fellow rival's cap space for years to come if he doesn't work out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHX can get a mixture of both. They could sign Garnett and T. Williams if SAC doesn't re-sign him. I like Williams but the knock on him is that he lacks range offensively, not a good perimeter shooter. But he certainly can pass, defend & rebound. Randolph & Beasley are guys who I feel will never live up to their hype.

I really don't get the KG stuff... we're going to get OLDER and prolong us not being a title contender? just doesn't make sense to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't get the KG stuff... we're going to get OLDER and prolong us not being a title contender? just doesn't make sense to me.

He's played pretty well at times the second half of this season. Also, he played pretty well for a stretch 4 or 5 years ago so I don't see how it could be a bad move.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He's played pretty well at times the second half of this season. Also, he played pretty well for a stretch 4 or 5 years ago so I don't see how it could be a bad move.
Pretty well . . . . at times . . . half of this season . . . pretty well . . . for a stretch . . . 4 or 5 years ago.

You're being facetious about it not being a bad move, right?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty well . . . . at times . . . half of this season . . . pretty well . . . for a stretch . . . 4 or 5 years ago.

You're being facetious about it not being a bad move, right?

That didn't sound like a recipe for success to you?;)

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Batum for 12 million a year for 5 years?

Is it our goal to win 30-40 games per year while posting a payroll of 60 million with no one resembling an all-star?

The Suns should not give ANYONE a large, long term deal until they find a player (or 2) to build around.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batum for 12 million a year for 5 years?

Is it our goal to win 30-40 games per year while posting a payroll of 60 million with no one resembling an all-star?

The Suns should not give ANYONE a large, long term deal until they find a player (or 2) to build around.

agreed. giving 10s of millions of dollars to guys like Batum/Gallinari or then even bigger contracts to guys like Gordon sounds like the exact same stupid ass plan the Pistons followed when they signed Charlie Villaneuva and Ben Gordon... OH MY GOD! WE HAVE MONEY! LET'S SPEND IT JUST TO SPEND IT!! WE'RE GONNA BE A 35-40 GAME WINNER FOREVER!

Sorry... but that plans sucks as much as the let's ride Steve Nash until he dies plan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky